Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Flimbos wrote: »

Doesn't really say much though. Anybody know anything about him or what his policies are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Newstalk has the D15 candidates on atm talking about economics.
    I am sure that the pod cast will be up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I've heard that Phoenix FM are organising a General Election Forum at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Blanch Centre, Wed 16th Feb starting at 8:00pm

They've invited all the canidates to take part. Don't know if it's been broadcasted live or for sometime before the election.

Could be interesting to go along on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Tough article but the one candidate in dublin west didn't come out too badly and managed to get a photo in to the Irish Times.

All exposure is good exposure as they say.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0210/1224289432161.html

Over in the working-class estate of Corduff in Dublin West, David McGuinness also meets his Alamo on the issue of the USC. For an hour in pitch darkness and in a piercing wind, we have been covering the home turf of the 24-year-old McGuinness with a posse of young supporters, including two of his brothers.

McGuinness bucked the trend in 2009 in taking a seat on Fingal County Council when Fianna Fáil was in freefall. This is clearly his base. Everybody knows him and he has loads of charm, self-confidence and energy. He is trading on his being a local, his work in the community and the fact that he is too young to have lived through the Fianna Fáil version of the Troubles.

“No problem, Dave, you got my vote,” is the refrain from the hallways. There is hardly any reference to the national situation. When there is, McGuinness returns to his default line that he is a candidate for the future, not the past. But then a woman who works part-time in the nearby Blanchardstown centre buttonholes him over the USC, which is costing her €54 a month from her part-time job. It has left her and her family struggling.

McGuinness quotes the Fianna Fáil catechism and says Labour will take more. She is not confrontational but is having none of it. “I am so disillusioned that I do not know who I will vote for.”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^Fess up buddy. Are you McGuinness himself or do you just work for him ;)

• Advertisement

:D

(1) Am I McGuinness himself?

No I haven't got his bottle.

(2) Do I work for him?

No but I can a keen follower of him and the local area generally. He is genuinely a break from the past. He is a good all round candidate..

We would expect anyone with connections (including family/personal friend/canvasser) to any candidate to declare this in the interests of full disclosure. Should we discover that you have failed to do so you can expect a ban from this forum.

Zaph wrote: »
    We would expect anyone with connections (including family/personal friend/canvasser) to any candidate to declare this in the interests of full disclosure. Should we discover that you have failed to do so you can expect a ban from this forum.

Oops, I was just kidding. :eek:

Oops, I was just kidding. :eek:

No, you raised a fair point, and there are posters that I have my suspicions about so the warning was overdue. As an admin I have access to more tools than a regular mod, so I will most likely know if people aren't telling the truth.

I'm a personal friend of two candidates, where does that leave me ;)

By the way, i posted an excerp from the Irish times.

You'll find my previous posts on this thread have been balanced at all time including the time I gave a run down during the week on three candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You'll find my previous posts on this thread have been balanced at all time including the time I gave a run down during the week on three candidates.

Which two? So we know where you are coming from. Just personal friend or active supporter/canvasser/party member etc.?

Godge wrote: »
    Which two? So we know where you are coming from. Just personal friend or active supporter/canvasser/party member etc.?

Go back to page 12 and 13 and you'll see who I know personnally. You will also see i'm balanced and fair and have given opinions.

I AM NOT A MEMBER OF ANY PARTY.

It seems if I link a national article some people seem to be more concerned who post's it? Is the excerp not relevant?

There's no problem with you being a personal friend with any or all of the candidates, but in the interests of fairness you should declare which candidates you're friends with. At least then people can decide whether or not they want to take your opinions on them or their opponents at face value. Equally though, people should remember that being friends with a candidate does not necessarily mean that you hold the same political views as them and that you could quite easily be a supporter of an opposing party.

As for your posts being balanced, you can be sure that there are plenty of people around here who would have called you out on that if they weren't, so I don't think you need to worry too much on that score.

Go back to page 12 and 13 and you'll see who I know personnally. You will also see i'm balanced and fair and have given opinions.

I AM NOT A MEMBER OF ANY PARTY.

It seems if I link a national article some people seem to be more concerned who post's it? Is the excerp not relevant?

I was just wondering because you seem to pop up quite frequently when David McGuinness is mentioned, or at least you seem to reply when he's mentioned. I'd assume that if he's one of the candidates you know Nulty is most likely the other as they're from the same area.

To be honest the article doesn't really say much and could've been written about any FF candidates in any part of the country. Most voters hate them, some are party people and will vote for their party regardless of the candidate and everyone who actually works for a living is royally pissed off at this USC.

T

As for your posts being balanced, you can be sure that there are plenty of people around here who would have called you out on that if they weren't, so I don't think you need to worry too much on that score.

All of what you say is correct.

Page 12 and 13 should be enough for anyone.

And let me clarify, Nulty and Donnelly who I have posted about previously in a brief profile were not in the Irish Times article.

;)

I was just wondering because you seem to pop up quite frequently when David McGuinness is mentioned, or at least you seem to reply when he's mentioned. .

I have popped up when any of the mentioned three on page 12 were mentioned.

The other two have not been mentioned lately.

In addition, I cannot tell much about the others as I dont follow them. The rest don't operate in council estate Dublin west.

You are correct about the feelings towards FF - is it any wonder so many rats jumped off the ship?

I have popped up when any of the mentioned three on page 12 were mentioned.

The other two have not been mentioned lately.

True, and I probably only noticed because I myself have mentioned McGuinness a few times. Maybe I'm him!!! :eek:

I'm not, just so I don't get barred.

True, and I probably only noticed because I myself have mentioned McGuinness a few times. Maybe I'm him!!! :eek:

I'm not, just so I don't get barred.

Well the usual four are on national media everyday so people should be discussing the rest. It's a forum for all but you and I seem to be the only ones that have stuck up anything of substance in quite a while.

The rest are mud slinging.

Well the usual four are on national media everyday so people should be discussing the rest. It's a forum for all but you and I seem to be the only ones that have stuck up anything of substance in quite a while.

The rest are mud slinging.

I tried talking it through a while ago but I got devoured a bit for suggesting that the FF candidates might be the best of a bad lot in this constituency, so I said I'd keep my thoughts to myself from then on.

I tried talking it through a while ago but I got devoured a bit for suggesting that the FF candidates might be the best of a bad lot in this constituency, so I said I'd keep my thoughts to myself from then on.

The fact is that everyone on this thread or certainly allot will have views that have brought them to this thread. Some extreme and some not so.

I dont go the extreme route because i've more important matters.

Presumably your a member of the female type? :pac:

• Advertisement

The fact is that everyone on this thread or certainly allot will have views that have brought them to this thread. Some extreme and some not so.

I dont go the extreme route because i've more important matters.

Presumably your a member of the female type? :pac:

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

I honestly do not know. A wild guess.

I honestly do not know. A wild guess.

I am as it goes. It must've been my amazing use of logic that gave me away ;)

I am as it goes. It must've been my amazing use of logic that gave me away ;)

Sugertown?? You were either Gay or a girl. :D

Your use of language gives it away. Maybe the logic is there too.

Keep it balanced and thanks for allowing the lurkers come from the shadows to do anything but discuss my earlier post. ;)

Sugertown?? You were either Gay or a girl. :D

It's a song by Nancy Sinatra. I was probably listening to it when I was filling in my details. Which I suppose still most likely would make me a girl or gay :D

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have to say I'm still completely undecided and not ruling out not voting at all at this point.

I think I've ruled FG out completely though. Thanks mainly to their 5 point plan leaflet that arrived today.

It's a song by Nancy Sinatra. I was probably listening to it when I was filling in my details. Which I suppose still most likely would make me a girl or gay :D

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have to say I'm still completely undecided and not ruling out not voting at all at this point.

I think I've ruled FG out completely though. Thanks mainly to their 5 point plan leaflet that arrived today.

Well I can tell you LV & JB will not be getting a vote. They are so ultra confident of election (rightly so) that they never do or never have canvassed in recent times in Ladyswell, Corduff, Mulhuddart, etc.

They have thrown those areas to their running mates, BL included.

Seems to be a two tier Dublin west in my opinion. I accept this is due to voter turnout in more affluent areas.

Will make up my mind in the week leading up to the 25th.

(please think of the children) :D

Well I can tell you LV & JB will not be getting a vote. They are so ultra confident of election (rightly so) that they never do or never have canvassed in recent times in Ladyswell, Corduff, Mulhuddart, etc.

They have thrown those areas to their running mates, BL included.

Seems to be a two tier Dublin west in my opinion. I accept this is due to voter turnout in more affluent areas.

Will make up my mind in the week leading up to the 25th.

(please think of the children) :D

That's what bothers me most. It seems that barring some major miracle, the next government will be some form of FG and Labor. So it kind of seems like voting for anyone else is a waste of a vote in terms of the wider picture. So then I think who would I want representing my area in the Dail, but, if you don't like the FG or Labor candidates what do you do? Vote for someone you know has no chance of getting in? Might as well just not bother voting.

I might just write number 2 in all the boxes to piss them off. That'll teach them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...No but I can a keen follower of him and the local area generally. He is genuinely a break from the past. He is a good all round candidate..

How on earth can anyone break from the past. Especially a FF candidate?

Maybe hes got one of those Men In Black mind erasers. He must have, I've never heard of him.

Good morning everyone. Two good points above.
    what do you do? Vote for someone you know has no chance of getting in? Might as well just not bother voting.

I might just write number 2 in all the boxes to piss them off. That'll teach them. ;)

Yes that is exactly what you should do. That's why we have the single transferable vote. It allows people to vote number 1 for a desired candidate regardless of their chances. If that person ceases to make it and is eliminated, your number 2 will get that transfer and that person may well be a more likely Dail member after the election. With that in mind you should absolutely vote as your vote will count regardless of your order of preference.

BostonB wrote: »
    How on earth can anyone break from the past. Especially a FF candidate?

Maybe hes got one of those Men In Black mind erasers. He must have, I've never heard of him.

A very good question. In fact, in the local elections of 09 there was a number of candidates that no one ever heard of. The African candidates were unknown and some never seen again. Nulty and McGuinness were new to the electoral scene in 09 but were active members in their own youth parties. The reason you never heard of him (or them?) Is because they are young and new.

There is a second reason you may not have known him (or them?) is due to the fact that the 09 local elections are not open to the same electorate as will be in this general election. Both of the younger and newer candidates contested the Mulhuddart ward area and that did not cover Castleknock. I'm using Castleknock as a rough example of large area's of Dublin west that will only get to see their names and face's for the first time.

As for the men in black erasers analogy; do remember when this sorry mess of a country started to go off the rails according to all respected economists, all will agree it started in 2003. The property crash was actually there in 2003 but it was hidden by reckless credit and everything came down like a house of cards with the credit bubble burst in 2008 (but the banks in turmoil in 2007). So in 2003, the man you never heard of was sixteen years of age - 20 years of age by the time everything went bang.

My point is - Why would you, he or anyone for that matter associate ones self with the past if you were not in any way responsible for it or involved in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

honestly such nit picking yet high handed posts are the reason I don't post in the politics forum, is hobbism and soapboxing.

Really they were invovled in the 'youth' parties, for how long? what did they do?
    You can make all manner of claims but can you back them up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement