Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog froze?

• 20-01-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue with my dog.
    He is a yorkie, 3 years old. Anyway, my aunt came to visit today (he LOVES my aunt) but when she went to pet him, he lay down on 4 legs and froze up, his whole body went hard and he couldnt move or walk. I picked him up and held him and he was kinda breathing out loud. Outside, i put him on the ground to see if he would walk but he couldnt walk still. I brought him inside and we nursed him. Then a half hour later he was fine again.

It really frightened us as he is really adored. Can anyone tell me what happened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 loubull

i would imagine that either your aunt was wearing similar clothes to another person that you dog had a bad experience with ie something that would be obvious---hood up, scarf, hat, gloves......or that your aunt smelled of another dog and your fella didnt like it!....either way you dog got a fright!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

loubull wrote: »
    i would imagine that either your aunt was wearing similar clothes to another person that you dog had a bad experience with ie something that would be obvious---hood up, scarf, hat, gloves......or that your aunt smelled of another dog and your fella didnt like it!....either way you dog got a fright!!

But i know when he is frightened. He has never behaved like this. My aunt has a dog that my dog knows and plays with. My aunt wore the same thing she always wears. I just think it is very unusual. His legs wouldnt move even though he was trying to walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This is obviously a matter for a vet, it might be some kind of nerve damage or some sort of fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Could it have been a seizure?

I'd bring him to the vet to get checked out, one of our dogs (a small breed also) used to have "fits" where she'd seize up, couldn't walk, all her muscles would go really tense or spasmy, sometimes her back would arch a bit, like her head was being pulled up against her will (which it was due to muscle spasms), and she'd drool a teeny bit. Also would be breathing hard. When she'd try to walk, she either wouldn't be able to get up, or would stagger about in a circle til she came out of it again.

We'd notice it coming on when she used to start walking around in a circle, and lifting her front paws awkwardly, then the full seizure would hit, and all we could do was to hold her and gently rub her chest to calm her til it passed a bit, then help her walk it off.

After a number of consutlations with the vet from the first time this happened, they diagnosed epilepsy, which was easily managed with medication. The fits greatly reduced in both frequency and duration/severity when she was put on daily tablets, and she lived for many happy years thanks to the meds.

Bring your dog to the vet if what happened sounds anything like the above, better to be safe and get him checked over. I'm not saying that your dog has epilepsy, BTW, it was just the case that the seizures our dog had were as a result of that, the vet is the only person who will be able to tell you for sure what is up with your dog. Hope all will be well with your little fella.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We once had a dog with epilepsy, go to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Hi, I had an elderly Yorkie and that used to happen to her. She had epilepsy and needed medication to control it. I was advised by the vet to keep the dog calm when this happened and she would come around in her own time. It was frightening to see but she was back to normal soon afterwards. I was also advised not to let her watch telly as this could cause the seizures to occur!

echosound wrote: »
    Could it have been a seizure?

I'd bring him to the vet to get checked out, one of our dogs (a small breed also) used to have "fits" where she'd seize up, couldn't walk, all her muscles would go really tense or spasmy, sometimes her back would arch a bit, like her head was being pulled up against her will (which it was due to muscle spasms), and she'd drool a teeny bit. Also would be breathing hard. When she'd try to walk, she either wouldn't be able to get up, or would stagger about in a circle til she came out of it again.

We'd notice it coming on when she used to start walking around in a circle, and lifting her front paws awkwardly, then the full seizure would hit, and all we could do was to hold her and gently rub her chest to calm her til it passed a bit, then help her walk it off.

After a number of consutlations with the vet from the first time this happened, they diagnosed epilepsy, which was easily managed with medication. The fits greatly reduced in both frequency and duration/severity when she was put on daily tablets, and she lived for many happy years thanks to the meds.

Bring your dog to the vet if what happened sounds anything like the above, better to be safe and get him checked over. I'm not saying that your dog has epilepsy, BTW, it was just the case that the seizures our dog had were as a result of that, the vet is the only person who will be able to tell you for sure what is up with your dog. Hope all will be well with your little fella.

Yeah he done all of the above. arched back, trying to put his paw up, muscles froze..

I hope it isnt :( This is the first time this happened. I will bring him to the vet and get it checked. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Definitely get him checked out by the vet, sounds like it is a seizure/fit alright, could be due to any number of things, though, not just epilepsy.

And even if it is, don't worry too much, as I said our little girl was mostly fine once we were medicating her, all it required was half a tab (after a bit of experimenting with dosage on the part of the vet to find the ideal dosage) stuck in a little knob of butter to disguise the tablet - she'd spit them out if we just put it in her food or even crushed it into her food.
    It got to a stage where she'd sit and wait for her little "treat" of butter every morning :)

best of luck with your little chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mistymaud

I'd go with possible epilepsy too. Three is sort of the top end of the age range for it to start but it's still within it. Could be the excitement of seeing your aunt triggered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Even if your doggy does get a diagnosis of epilepsy, try not to worry. It's not likely you would be given medication after just one fit either. Keep a diary and put the date of the first fit in it now.

My guy has had 3 fits over the space of 2 years and the vets aren't keen to put him on meds yet, as he may never have them again. He has a diagnosis of epilepsy.

The dogs don't realise what is happening, which I find comforting. Just ensure he is on the ground, not near sharp objects etc.

Best of luck to you and your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Everyone's beaten me to it....but yes, my first thought on reading your post was that your dog had a seizure.

I would go to vet to rule anything else out.

Note: vet can't test for epilepsy...can only test to rule out other causes of the seizure.

Your dog may never have one again...so on the stength of just one seizure its not necessarily all doom and gloom,and a lifetime on anti-seizure meds...but worth sticking a small post-it note in her vax card with the date, time, and any other info you can think of that was different/changed at the time(ie aunt's clothes, perfume, moon cycle, change in food etc <- may help to identify triggers if it does develop into epilepsy)...to refer to if she ever does it again.

*IF*she does develop epilepsy I recommend getting a small note book to act as a seizure diary...but for a once-off event a post-it note in her vax card is more than adequate

Another thing I just thought of. Had you wormed him recently? I know some wormers can cause seizures.

Another thing I just thought of. Had you wormed him recently? I know some wormers can cause seizures.

No he wasnt wormed recently. He was fine all day, his usual self. Then that happened. So should i just wait and see if he has another one (if thats what it was) or bring him down to the vet on monday?

Thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

JajaD wrote: »
    No he wasnt wormed recently. He was fine all day, his usual self. Then that happened. So should i just wait and see if he has another one (if thats what it was) or bring him down to the vet on monday?

Please take him to the vets.

Definitely bring him to the vets. I know it is a very worrying time, but hopefully times like that will be few and far between for him.

Not trying to cause offence here but your dog has shown signs of what could likely be an extremely serious condition!! You seem to have diagnosed it and decided it needs no treatment untill Monday or maybe not - you haven't quite decided :confused:. Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, Monday is 4 days after this happened, if this were my dog he'd have been in the Vet's on /thursday, middle of the night or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Definitely, sounds like a grande-mal seizure.... your pet dog was energetic after it happened. The way I see it is this, (am no medical expert nor a vet - so take this with a pinch of salt) - the neurons are mis-firing and thus during the seizure,, as a result of mis-firing, the muscles go rigid.... eventually, when your lil pet comes out of it, there is so much energy that is expended, impossible to calm your pet down... sometimes, the best thing to do is to keep an eye on your pet and make sure you're calm as well, it can be worrisome and can make you edgy at the shock of it, your pet will pick up on it... soothe her and try be calm yourself....

Take her down to the vet and get it checked out ASAP!!!!

Your vet may have to put your pet on anti-epilepsy tablets for the rest of her life...

Fingers crossed your pet will be ok... :o

Not trying to cause offence here but your dog has shown signs of what could likely be an extremely serious condition!! You seem to have diagnosed it and decided it needs no treatment untill Monday or maybe not - you haven't quite decided :confused:. Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, Monday is 4 days after this happened, if this were my dog he'd have been in the Vet's on /thursday, middle of the night or not.

Lots of people are telling me that he just got excited and that it wasnt a seizure. But i do think something happened to him. Because he is fine now i thought maybe that i was exaggerating, but i will take your advice and go to the vet. Im pretty sure he is open tomorrow. I will let ya'll know what he says.

Lots of people are telling me that he just got excited and that it wasnt a seizure. But i do think something happened to him. Because he is fine now i thought maybe that i was exaggerating, but i will take your advice and go to the vet. Im pretty sure he is open tomorrow. I will let ya'll know what he says.

Dogs don't get so excited they become paralyzed for no reason, I think it would be safe to say that none of the people who told you this would be anyway qualified to make that call. Please do take him to the vet, I've never heard of a vet that doesn't open on a Saturday, get up early and ring them first thing.

Dogs don't get so excited they become paralyzed for no reason, I think it would be safe to say that none of the people who told you this would be anyway qualified to make that call. Please do take him to the vet, I've never heard of a vet that doesn't open on a Saturday, get up early and ring them first thing.

Yeah bringing him down tomorrow. Ill post up how he got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Lots of people are telling me that he just got excited and that it wasnt a seizure.

With all due respect to whomever these people are....you also have lots of people on here, all with direct experience of canine epilepsy / seizures in dogs, all saying that what you have described sounds very like a seizure...
    Yeah bringing him down tomorrow. Ill post up how he got on.

Any news?

Advertisement