Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer regrets?

• 20-01-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

What player have left your club and with the benefit of hindsight you can look back and go ah crap?
    The likes of pique at barca would be one where i'd say ah crap should of held him!
    I know there can be a lot of extenuating circumstances as to why a player under performs in one place and excel's in another.
    So who did you regret leaving and no obvious picks like rooo or ronaldo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Want a list? Short or long? :(

Wolves hat on (sorry Xavi6) Robbie Keane, 6 million might have seemed like a good price but his sale put the club back a few years as he was never adequately replaced. Another big sale was Joleon Lescott to Everton.

LFC hat on - avoiding the obvious names like Alonso/Masch etc - Jari Litmanen, Nicholas Anelka, Craig Bellamy, Didi Hamann, Danny Murphy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Should never have let Stephen O'Donnell leave Bohs, always a cracking player.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ollie Cahill and Alan Reynolds were top class for us and were left leave without much of a struggle.

Both had just had excellent seasons and we struggled without them in the following seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Not too many recent ones spring to mind for Spurs, the only one I can think of at the moment is Mounir El Hamdaoui. Since leaving Spurs, he had a brief injury-hit spell with Willem II, before scoring 50 goals in 80 games during three seasons with AZ Alkmaar. He joined Ajax in the summer and has scored 11 times in 17 appearances. I have never seen him play since he left, but his scoring record is pretty impressive. I know it's in Holland and all, but we could really do with a regular goalscorer right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

racso1975 wrote: »
    What player have left your club and with the benefit of hindsight you can look back and go ah crap?
    The likes of pique at barca would be one where i'd say ah crap should of held him!
    I know there can be a lot of extenuating circumstances as to why a player under performs in one place and excel's in another.
    So who did you regret leaving and no obvious picks like rooo or ronaldo

Yoann Gourcuff and Luca Antonelli are the two that spring to mind for Milan recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not too many who leave Arsenal go onto better things but as much as I hate the fucker we should have kept Ashley Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Not too many recent ones spring to mind for Spurs, the only one I can think of at the moment is Mounir El Hamdaoui. Since leaving Spurs, he had a brief injury-hit spell with Willem II, before scoring 50 goals in 80 games during three seasons with AZ Alkmaar. He joined Ajax in the summer and has scored 11 times in 17 appearances. I have never seen him play since he left, but his scoring record is pretty impressive. I know it's in Holland and all, but we could really do with a regular goalscorer right now.

what about taarabt who is at QPR now....he looks like he's turning into a quality player......

and berbatov and carrick??(sniggers) 50 million for the two of them....thank you man utd....thanks you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Very few that Newcastle have let go that I am with hindsight disappointed with.

The obvious one is Andy Cole, although he was adequately replaced. Another is Didi Hamman, though it was lunacy selling him after a very good first season.

Notable mentions to Tommasson, Milner, Bellamy and Given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah tbf Berbatov is well on his way to justifying his fee - top scorer in the Premiership this season. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

C.Ronaldo :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Ciaran Kilduff, but all is forgiven this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Kanchelskis would have been one of my biggest regrets.

I know after he left Everton he didn't really perform up to his old standards but afaik without the falling out with Fergie he could've built on the success he had with the club. the sheer pace of the man was a joy to behold!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland:

Signing - Tore Andre Flo. A £6.5m deadline day panic buy when money was tight. A complete flop.

Selling - Not so much selling, but failing to come up with the £2m Blackburn wanted to turn Shay Given's loan into a permanent deal in 1997 was awful, especially considering he went on to be excellent for Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Liverpool opting not to take up the option to sign Anelka when he was on loan with us and instead buying El Hadji Diouf :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Celtic releasing Shay Given when he was a youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

what about taarabt who is at QPR now....he looks like he's turning into a quality player......

and berbatov and carrick??(sniggers) 50 million for the two of them....thank you man utd....thanks you very much

I'd take Berbatov back in a heartbeat and I'd probably take Carrick back for around £5 million as back-up to Hudd. But I took the thread to mean players we willingly let go on the cheap who have turned into decent players.

Taarabt always looked a promising player but I reckon his level is top-of-the-Championship/lower-table Premiership at best. He wouldn't get near our squad at the moment.

Kevin Prince-Boateng is another who looks like he could be turning into a decent player, but he never took his chance at Spurs, and while he looked decent at Pompey I didn't think he stood out so much that we should regret letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Pique and forlan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Steve Jones went on to be a lot better than I thought he would be

Can't really think of anyone else

Not a player that left but a player that could have been.

Cantona - Souness was offered him and turned him down.

Himself and Fowler up front would have been something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

One standout candidate for United tbh, Diego Forlan :mad::(

• Advertisement

Before my time, but Liverpool entered contract negotiations with the extremely amazing Michael Laudrup and both parties agreed on the terms, Laudrup left to go say his goodbyes at his club (can't recall if it was Ajax or Juventus at the time) and when he returned and re-read the contract it turned out Liverpool added a sneaky extra year extension onto the deal and Laudrup decided he was better off elsewhere.

What a player he was.

Player that left.

Alonso. It all went down hill afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Forlan isn't a big one for Utd, imo. He's not a PL player. Spain just suits him perfectly.

Ronaldo and Pique for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Liverpool should regret not signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

irish players joining liverpool in the 90's.

phil babb
    jason mcateer
    mark kennedy

probably wrecked their careers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

pique,forlan,rossi and shawcross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Liverpool should regret not signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

Feck Ronaldo, this is the one that really got away.

"in 1983 I had the opportunity to sign for Liverpool. We actually agreed a deal and I came over with my father to talk to Liverpool's representatives. We agreed a three-year contract and went away thinking it was all done. But two weeks later they came back saying they wanted to offer me the same package, but for four years because I was still young and needed time to develop. I was disappointed because although nothing had been signed, we had an agreement. I decided not to join them and people thought I was crazy. This 19-year-old was turning down the great Liverpool. It wasn't really like that though. I just felt an agreement is an agreement and people should stick to what they decide. After that, I had other offers and went on to join Juventus. That's football for you."

Michael Laudrup.

EdIT. Really need to read the thread first as revolution has covered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

baz2009 wrote: »
    Forlan isn't a big one for Utd, imo. He's not a PL player. Spain just suits him perfectly.

Ronaldo and Pique for me.
    completely disagree tbh, he threatened to let loose on the PL and was improving greatly. He was on the verge of a breakout and it came when he scored 25 goals with inferior players to the ones he was playing with at United. I've no doubts he would have been a star for United if they had the patience to keep hold of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

M5 wrote: »
    Very few that Newcastle have let go that I am with hindsight disappointed with.

The obvious one is Andy Cole, although he was adequately replaced. Another is Didi Hamman, though it was lunacy selling him after a very good first season.

Notable mentions to Tommasson, Milner, Bellamy and Given

I'd throw Scott Parker in with that bunch too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I'd throw Scott Parker in with that bunch too :(

Yeah, left him out actually, he was on a bad run of form when we sold him. Is only really coming into his own now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

It worked out in the end, but wasent Dalglish turned down by Liverpool at a trial before going to Celtic

Would also say Inter letting Pirlo go, Real never really giving Samuel Eto a chance before letting him go, and obviously Fabregas leaving Barca

Rangers Id imagine are still kicking themselves over Gordon Ramsey too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ruud and Stam spring to mind. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

letting Van Nistelrooy go to Madrid. Still havent replaced him really. Unreal goal poacher. He was always in the right spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Arsenal supposedly had a deal in place for Di Maria before he moved to Benfica. If true it's a big miss, been missing a decent left winger for ages.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    It worked out in the end, but wasent Dalglish turned down by Liverpool at a trial before going to Celtic

Would also say Inter letting Pirlo go, Real never really giving Samuel Eto a chance before letting him go, and obviously Fabregas leaving Barca

Rangers Id imagine are still kicking themselves over Gordon Ramsey too

We didn't turn him down, he was on trial at Liverpool and Shanks was impressed and offered him the chance to stay at Liverpool but he was only 15 at the time and decided he was too young to leave his parents and move down to Liverpool all by his lonesome.

• Advertisement

AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus didn't quite realise the true ability of Paddy Vieira, Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry, much to Arsenal's benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

letting Van Nistelrooy go to Madrid. Still havent replaced him really. Unreal goal poacher. He was always in the right spot

Didn't C.Ronaldo replace The Van?

EDIT: Though I suppose Utd then sold C.Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was always disappointed Veron was not given another season. 442 in our side did not suit him, but over the summer we sold him - we had changed.

In pre-season we were playing 4231 with Veron, Solskjaer and Giggs off Ruud, and they were playing brilliantly, looked like Veron was really enjoying it and had clicked with the rest of the team. I think that front four, with Scholes and Keane behind, would have been amazing, and I was disappointed it was not given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

CorkMan wrote: »
    Didn't C.Ronaldo replace The Van?

EDIT: Though I suppose Utd then sold C.Ronaldo!

No were at Utd at the same time, they had a falling out over Ronaldo's Dad/Queroz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

giuseppe rossi , pique , tevez , ronaldo , forlan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Definitely Ashley Cole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think Spurs will end up regretting Reto Ziegler, been great for Samp at left full and left mid.

Could come back and haunt them very soon if reports that he is to sign for Milan are true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Losing McManaman on bosman was and is a sickener as we have never adequately replaced him. But by all account McManaman was playing games with all parties to benefit himself.

Alonso, Sami Hyypia, Anelka - with liverpool there are so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Was always disappointed Veron was not given another season. 442 in our side did not suit him, but over the summer we sold him - we had changed.

In pre-season we were playing 4231 with Veron, Solskjaer and Giggs off Ruud, and they were playing brilliantly, looked like Veron was really enjoying it and had clicked with the rest of the team. I think that front four, with Scholes and Keane behind, would have been amazing, and I was disappointed it was not given the chance.

Veron plays his best stuff as a deep lying playmaker rather than off a striker though I thought. He's a brilliant player in that role, unfortunately it wasn't a role United particularly needed filling. I'm not sure what kind of player Fergie thought he was signing, but he was never used or needed at United in the role in which he excels tbh. I also recall United playing 5 in midfield to accomodate him in Europe but it still didn't really work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

flahavaj wrote: »
    Veron plays his best stuff as a deep lying playmaker rather than off a striker though I thought. He's a brilliant player in that role, unfortunately it wasn't a role United particularly needed filling. I'm not sure what kind of player Fergie thought he was signing, but he was never used or needed at United in the role in which he excels tbh. I also recall United playing 5 in midfield to accomodate him in Europe but it still didn't really work.

I thought his best performance for us were generally in europe.

I know he was always best as a deep lying play maker, but in the free role in an attacking 3 - he looked to have found his best 'United position' and I thought he was going to be a big player for us that season. Could have rotated with Scholes between AMC and MC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Before my time but Gazza after he left we went through a really tough spell that saw us go from one of the teams that regularly challenged for leagues and cups to one stuck midtable. :(

One that got away like laudroup for Liverpool is Alex Ferguson he was offered the job the year before he took the United one(or at least that is my understanding) but declines the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yoann Gourcuff and Luca Antonelli are the two that spring to mind for Milan recently.

Gourcuff didnt fit in at all though. maldini came out and spoke against him saying he refused to learn italian, was lazy and wouldnt train properly now he did have an amazing season when he left but has tailed off this year for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mike65 wrote: »
    Want a list? Short or long? :(

Wolves hat on (sorry Xavi6) Robbie Keane, 6 million might have seemed like a good price but his sale put the club back a few years as he was never adequately replaced. Another big sale was Joleon Lescott to Everton.

LFC hat on - avoiding the obvious names like Alonso/Masch etc - Jari Litmanen, Nicholas Anelka, Craig Bellamy, Didi Hamann, Danny Murphy.
    You support wolves and liverpool?

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One that got away like laudroup for Liverpool is Alex Ferguson he was offered the job the year before he took the United one(or at least that is my understanding) but declines the offer.

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF?????????????

Fergie approached to manage Liverpool? Hardly seems likely, Fergie was a big fan of the LFC style in the 70s when he was at Aberdeen but Liverpool only promoted from within and after Joe Fagen retired in 1985 Dalglish was the man
    to follow

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mike65 wrote: »
    WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF?????????????

Fergie approached to manage Liverpool? Hardly seems likely, Fergie was a big fan of the LFC style in the 70s when he was at Aberdeen but Liverpool only promoted from within and after Joe Fagen retired in 1985 Dalglish was the man
    to follow
    I got the impression he was talking about for spurs

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement