Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer regrets?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got the impression he was talking about for spurs

Ah, now that makes sense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah, now that makes sense :)
    Ya I meant the way you said Laudroup was one you missed out on for Liverpool Fergie was definetly missed out on by us(Spurs):P although I don't think he had any intention of going for any other job :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Definitely Cantona, and the paltry transfer fee we got for him just rubs salt into the wounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

For Chelsea, Crespo. Never really got a good crack of the whip, but had a fair record when he did play (12 in 31). Needed better support.
    Could of been another Zola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZaBa08DARU

Lately, I wish we had kept Scott Sinclair, now knocking them in for Swansea (16 so far this season)

scored this one whilst on loan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgnlxSydDLU&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Theres that famous Jack Walker quote of "we dont need Zidane, weve got Tim Sherwood" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

John Arne Riise for Liverpool! Absolute lad with a cracking left foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

letting Van Nistelrooy go to Madrid. Still havent replaced him really. Unreal goal poacher. He was always in the right spot

Since he left in 2006 we won 3 prem titles and a CL title.
    All the time he was there we only won one PL title.

He was a great goal scorer, but after doing so well without him it's made me question was his lack of versatility holding us back. We never played 4-3-3 when he was there, not sure why, maybe he can't play that particular role very well.
    There's no doubt in my mind much of our recent success is down to that 4-3-3.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal supposedly had a deal in place for Di Maria before he moved to Benfica. If true it's a big miss, been missing a decent left winger for ages.
    If you're going down that road, then we can regret not getting Cech (work permit before he went to Ligue 1), Ronaldo (gazumped at the last minute by United), Messi (*cough* due to a WP again, if you believe the rumours) and countless others...

... the Di Maria one is definitely true though. It was amazing it didn't happen; Arsenal's finances were really ****ed at the time by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If he hadn't have gotten homesick then I always thought Reyes could have been a huge player for us in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea :

Carvalho, still playing excellent for Real Madrid this year, although he was allowed to leave, still would have loved him to be playing for us.

Crespo, brillant striker and a proven goal scorer, was delighted when he signed and sad when he left.

Robben, disaster of a sale, enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Frisbee wrote: »
    If he hadn't have gotten homesick then I always thought Reyes could have been a huge player for us in the long term.

He played well when the weather was nice. At the very end and very start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Arjen Robben. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

David James
    Glen Johnson
    Rio Ferdinand
    James Collins
    Lucas Neill
    Yossi Beneyoun
    Frank Lampard
    Javier Mascherano
    Joe Cole
    Carlos Tevez
    Jermain Defoe

Honourable Mentions
    Michael Carrick
    Jimmy Bullard
    Paolo Di Canio
    Anton Ferdinand
    Freddy Kanoute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

James Milner. /cry face

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Beckham - Thought United should have gotten a lot more money for him. He generated so much revenue for the club too I believe although I remember there was an issue when he signed a new contract over his image rights. Believe Real Madrid made most of his transfer fee back in no time.

We didn't win anything either when he left and we'll never know whether or not it would have made a difference if he'd still been there or not considering we lost the league by a big margin when Mourihno arrived and Roman pumped in some serious funding.

Saying that, when Beckham left United for Real, in his first 2 seasons at Real, neither United or Real won the league them seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If you're going down that road, then we can regret not getting Cech (work permit before he went to Ligue 1), Ronaldo (gazumped at the last minute by United), Messi (*cough* due to a WP again, if you believe the rumours) and countless others...

... the Di Maria one is definitely true though. It was amazing it didn't happen; Arsenal's finances were really ****ed at the time by the looks of it.

Add Ronaldinho and Adriano, they checked the possibility of work permits and were told not a hope so they dropped interest.

Always regretted having to let Anelka go, total idiot, spent so long with his career in the wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Diego Forlan for Utd. He has turned out to be a real top quality striker since going to Spain.

Shay Given for Celtic. Turned out to be a top keeper after leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Shay Given and Andy Cole. Huge losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Forlan was 1 guy i always throught was extremely unlucky for united, he'd always send it just wide or hit the frame of the goal. any bit of luck and he possibly still be there.

A transfer that didn't happen was Alan Shearer to United.

Now United done grand without him but I think Shearer should have joined. He was a great footballer who I felt deserved to have won more medals in his time.

Another player who should have moved and finish his career as a club legend regardless is Steven Gerrard. He is such a fantastic footballer and yes he won the champions league but had he moved to Chelsea, I'd say he'd finish his career with a lot more medals than what he will finish with.

My point is that for footballers of their quality, you would have expected them to finish up with a lot more medals through their careers than what they have or will finish with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Arsenal supposedly had a deal in place for Di Maria before he moved to Benfica. If true it's a big miss, been missing a decent left winger for ages.

Ronaldo too seemingly;

@ 2.01 ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Always regretted having to let Anelka go, total idiot, spent so long with his career in the wilderness.

The money we got for Anelka, paid for Thierry Henry.

I can live with being without Le Sulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quazzie wrote: »
    The money we got for Anelka, paid for Thierry Henry.

I can live with being without Le Sulk.

AW wanted those two as his strikers though; didn't want to sell Anelka and was gonna bring in Titi anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

cson wrote: »
    AW wanted those two as his strikers though; didn't want to sell Anelka and was gonna bring in Titi anyway.

Oh right. So a certain Dutch Maestro by the name of Mr. Bergkamp was going to be dropped to allow Henry and Anelka work together.

Another reason it was a good thing getting rid of Anelka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Blackburn:

I'm taking this as young players sold on who came good first -

Shay Given. Sold to Newcastle for 2 million because we had Tim Flowers.

James Beattie. 6 million and Beattie were given for Kevin Davies. Who scored one goal the following season and was promptly shipped back to the Dell! I know Beattie isn't a world class performer but he was a good up and coming young striker at the time.

Then players who nearly signed:

Batistuta - fee was agreed but he received death threats from Fiorentina supporters. He was to replace Shearer.
    Djorkaeft and Zidane - both were on trial at Blackburn back around Euro '96.

Have a look for yourselves and see what you think about transfers that never happened.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2377/top-10/2011/01/09/2296898/top-10-transfers-we-wish-had-happened-diego-maradona-to-juventus-

Some interesting ones there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Celtic released Shay Given as a youth player, too short according to Lou Macari....the gobshíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Have a look for yourselves and see what you think about transfers that never happened.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2377/top-10/2011/01/09/2296898/top-10-transfers-we-wish-had-happened-diego-maradona-to-juventus-

Some interesting ones there.
    7) Steven Gerrard (Manchester United, 2005)

I stopped reading after this, what a load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Don't know why people are regretting Pique leaving United. He was a liability every time he played for us and cost us valuable points in games at times. Yes, he's come on leaps and bounds since then, but he was never going to break up the Rio - Vidic partnership, and he still wouldn't. The understanding those two have is absolutely priceless, and they're both 2 of the very best centre backs in the world. I wouldn't break that up even for a young Franz Beckenbauer himself because you just don't know how any other player would slot in there - we've got two that are excellent defenders and work well together. I wouldn't break that up to chance someone else, no matter what age or skill they had on their side. As for Pique, he was a backup and was never going to stay, so it's hard to regret that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Rooney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pique is a funny one. I always thought that between him and Evans, Evans was the better choice for the PL. I still think that. However, I would have preferred if we had let Brown or O'Shea not et the CB slot, and put our faith in both Pique and Evans.

Rossi, Pique and Jones, the three great players to come in one team, and not one of them made it at United. That's a big regret for me.

For a while I was upset we didn't get Ronaldinho, but we got Ronaldo instead! I was always sad that we didn't get Berbatov the first time, rather than have to wait a few years at Spurs.

I was also very upset that we never signed Essien and Robben, two players Chelsea got from us. They would have been Keane and Gigg's long term replacements, and I think we would be well past 19 titles now if we had gotten them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Far too many of these for us in recent times :(
    Yossi Benayoun
    James Collins
    Carlos Tevez
    Javier Mascherano (though to be fair these two were anomalies)
    Lucas Neill
    George McCartney
    Craig Bellamy
    Alessandro Diamanti (he was a very decent player for us but we sold him at a loss of £4m)
    Fabio Daprela (could have been a fantastic full back for us in the future)

Off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Out - Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Gabriel Heinze.

In - Rio Ferdinand - a total waste of space that made his name playing off someone else (Woodgate, Sol Campbell, John Terry, Vidic).

KevLeppard wrote: »

In - Rio Ferdinand - a total waste of space that made his name playing off someone else (Woodgate, Sol Campbell, John Terry, Vidic).

Are you trying to piss people off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I take back what I said in the Mourinho thread....

I want some of what this guy is smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Are you trying to piss people off?

Not at all. Just giving my 2 cents worth.

Was gutted when Alex sold Van Nistelrooy and Heinze. At least I saw them play in OT before he did.

As for Rio, sorry man but never rated the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lemlin wrote: »
    Blackburn:

Then players who nearly signed:

Batistuta - fee was agreed but he received death threats from Fiorentina supporters. He was to replace Shearer.
    Djorkaeft and Zidane - both were on trial at Blackburn back around Euro '96.

Don't forget Roy Keane, how close he was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

For Chelsea :

Robert Huth ! my how we could do with him now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Whos name was he coasting off when he won the league with Utd in his debut season?Gary Neville or Mikael Silvestre?:rolleyes:A league cup before Vidic was on the scene too.

As far as transfers go I recall a Ferguson interview with that Frost guy(David maybe?)Remember him talking about having a deal for Gazza in the bag.He then went on holiday and when he came home had found out Spurs had bought a house for Gazza's parents so he joined them.Things could have been so very different had he played under Ferguson at Utd.

• Advertisement

Alan Shearer at United....'nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't regret most of Man Utd's transfers - there are players I will always miss like Becks, Van Nistlerooy & Ronaldo, but they either wanted to go or their time had come.

Lesser down in that pegging order would be the likes of Cole, Yorke, Heinz & Tevez.

The one player we should never have let go was Jaap Stam. A powerhouse of a defender. A pure block of a man.

I rate Rio Ferdinand, but Stam was a Rio with a brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

C. Ronaldo
    G. Pique
    D. Forlan
    P. Neville
    J. Stam

few others but none missed more so then the legend that is Eric Djemba Djemba

To argue with the above poster, Rio Ferdinand has a very good footballing brain, his reading of the game is one of his top qualities

Advertisement