Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few questions about CCNA

Options
  • 20-01-2011 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I've scoured the forum but can't find anything relevent, so apologies if it's already been answered ...

looking to do the CCNA, I have a study book here from college which is very in depth, but I've noticed I've done an awful lot of it already..

I'm doing degree in computers, and in our subject, computer networks, we've covered at least 60 -70 % of the topics in this CCNA book, along with setting up various protocols on small networks using Cisco routers and simulating larger networks using Opnet (ridiculously expensive software), it was one of my more stronger subjects too...

anyways a few questions I wanted to ask,

-realistically, could I study and pass within a month ?
    -what does the CCNA exam entail, multiple choice ? tick the box ? etc..
    -how long is the exam (time and question wise) and what % is considered a pass?
    -do you know there and then if you've passed ?
    -if you do pass, how long are you waiting for a reference number that can be checked or cert of pass ?
    -has the CCNA helped you career wise ?

going for the exam, because I've tried to get a few network admin placements, but explaining you've done an awful lot with routers and networks etc.... can be very cumbersome and usually comes across to the other person possibly as bull****, especially when you have little "work" experience, and have no way to demonstrate practically...
    whereas you can't really argue with a moajority of that if you present a CCNA cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

axiom wrote: »
    -realistically, could I study and pass within a month ?

The only person who can judge this is you. There are folks who could pass it in a week or 2 with little study, others will take 6 months. Until you sit it you won't really know if your estimates of existing knowledge are correct or not either. So can it be done, yes.

-what does the CCNA exam entail, multiple choice ? tick the box ? etc..

The most common are multiple choice but you will face simulation tasks, drag and drop, deduction from show command results etc. They do a very good job of keeping you on your toes during the exam.

-how long is the exam (time and question wise) and what % is considered a pass?

This info is available on the Cisco learning portal, it can change quickly as they update blueprints. (and no offense but one click from the very first result when searching google for "Cisco CCNA" answers it.)

-do you know there and then if you've passed ?

It will tell you straight away.

-if you do pass, how long are you waiting for a reference number that can be checked or cert of pass ?

I believe you can setup an online confirmation page within a day or so at Cisco.com.

-has the CCNA helped you career wise ?

Absolutely, but in this day and age (and especially without hands on) it is just going to help you get your foot in the door. It will help accelerate your career growth but it's not a magic bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭axiom

thanks for the info ! cleared an awful lot up ...

I know a lot is easily found, but I found so much conflicting info about it, so I thought I'd ask here for something up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

most of the network stuff is sub-contracted to big companies !
    so,in a small company,not sure that exist a a such title "network adminsitrator" !??
    unless you hired for a big name,but even then,you'll work as contractor !

also,due to this ****ty times,there are guys gettings CCNAs and CCNPs in weeks,with no or little experience !
    lots of CCIEs and good CCNPs working for nothing,compared with 1k per day year ago to 250 today...

I believe that experience will beat the ceertification...
    good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭axiom

tbh I don't really care what route I go to get experienced, and 250 a day is millions to me at the moment haha .... just bored to tears in this country with zero potential of any entry level jobs in IT going, or even placements, so might aswell skill up while I'm here in the mean time

Advertisement