Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD Poster Run caught on video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

In other news, usage of fake tan in UCD has gone beyond recommended safety guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

All that work, just so that most students can ignore the posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Actually, on that subject -- do you need to get permission from someone before putting up a poster on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If its not SU or Societies related they are removed afaik

Gah, crap.... and there's nobody to go to for permission to put a poster up? I'm trying to advertise language classes on campus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Here is the UCD poster policy for all concerned!

http://www.ucd.ie/posterpolicy_07.pdf
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_posters.pdf
    Guidelines for the Display of Posters
    1. The name of the sponsoring UCD club, society or organisation must be clearly displayed on each
    poster.
    2. No private organisations have a right to display posters. Students must not assist private
    organisations in so doing.
    3. Posters may be displayed only on designated notice boards throughout the campus and on the
    clusters of coloured boards on the ground floor of the Newman Building.
    4. Posters must not be hung on walls, on doors, on glass, in lecture theatres or from ceilings. Posters
    may not be attached to building facades and any posters attached to pillars outside the Library must
    not be above 2.2m (i.e. top of poster must not exceed 2.2m from the ground). All posters must be
    positioned so that they can be safely removed without use of ladders etc.
    5. During Students’ Union sabbatical elections the Returning Officer has control of one board in every
    three.
    6. The James Joyce Library Tunnel must not be used for the display of posters.
    7. Blanket coverage of noticeboards by posters for any one event will not be allowed. Posters for any
    one event may occupy only one quarter of the space provided on a noticeboard, or alternatively on
    clusters of noticeboards.
    8. The use of stickers is strictly prohibited.
    9. The use of freestanding panels or stands for advertising events and the location of these in
    designated areas must be sanctioned in writing in each instance by the Services Centre Manager.
    10. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring club, society or organisation to remove their posters after
    their event has taken place.
    11. Any club, society or organisation that wishes to put up posters should remove any out-of-date
    posters which are still displayed on their designated noticeboards.
    12. Hand-bills must not be spread on the desks in lecture theatres. Where promotional material is used
    in a classroom or theatre, it is the direct responsibility of the group concerned to ensure that all such
    material is removed from the classroom or theatre after the event or occasion at which the material
    is distributed.
    13. All posters will be removed by Services on Thursdays, except those under regulation 5 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Havnt been changed in years. Gwan d'Butler!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Wait so it's perfectly okay for me to take down posters of events that have already happened? Like if an event was happening Monday I can take it down Tuesday morning and put mine up?

Oooh very informative- thanks for that one! But awh- looks like I'd have to be in with a society to actually display something- even if they're free lessons!

Boo hiss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Wait so it's perfectly okay for me to take down posters of events that have already happened? Like if an event was happening Monday I can take it down Tuesday morning and put mine up?
    Yep.

Sefirah: There are some places you can stick them up, like the corkboards above the SUAS in Arts, next to the library staircase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

It doesn't say anything there so I'm not sure if it's just understood to be the case, but I was told once you put a poster up, that's your/the society's space, thus they can take down the poster and put up one for their next event. Like, when ScienceSoc put up posters for the toga party, which was happening that night (the Thursday night), their auditor 'gave' the Welfare Crew 'their' spaces, as in, he told us we could take down his posters and put up ours, once their event was over.

But I suppose it doesn't make much sense. Once say, Lawsoc's debate is over, they're not going to tear down the poster and put up another, and so on, so I don't know how much it really matters... Or how true it was in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It doesn't say anything there so I'm not sure if it's just understood to be the case, but I was told once you put a poster up, that's your/the society's space, thus they can take down the poster and put up one for their next event. Like, when ScienceSoc put up posters for the toga party, which was happening that night (the Thursday night), their auditor 'gave' the Welfare Crew 'their' spaces, as in, he told us we could take down his posters and put up ours, once their event was over.

But I suppose it doesn't make much sense. Once say, Lawsoc's debate is over, they're not going to tear down the poster and put up another, and so on, so I don't know how much it really matters... Or how true it was in the first place.

I think that is just a particular society who have acted that way for a while and think that they "own" a space. I think there were some rows a few years ago about people taking down other posters, but it is too foggy to remember the exact details. I'm just too old now :pac:

Serifah...any of the notice boards underneath the library at the SU shop, outside the Arts cafe, across from elements etc should be fine for your posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I also have it on good authority that if you can prove your poster was ripped down (ie if you have a photo of it on a certain pillar), then you can remove the poster which replaced it. Although who'd bother?

Sweet! Thanks all! And also (to save me some posters :P) Free Hebrew lessons on campus :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Any poster can be taken down by anyone an hour before the event it advertises starts, the society which put that poster can perfectly reasonably go down and replace it an hour and 15 minutes before if they want there will be no issues. It is not unknown for a secondary poster rush to happen if there is a large event on a Thursday which was well postered for by an non active society. (So a society with lots of poster space, that will no longer need). Other societies wait for the hour, to poster over.

I wonder what the going rate for posters is, I.E if I was auditor of Accounting and Finance or something, I'd totally be willing to get all the kids out one day, poster the **** and then sell the space... And knowing societies, someone would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I also have it on good authority that if you can prove your poster was ripped down (ie if you have a photo of it on a certain pillar), then you can remove the poster which replaced it. Although who'd bother?

I know of a certain society who got their posters removed by Ents and then Ents put their ones up instead so the auditor took down the Ents ones and handed them back to the Ents officer..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

It has been known for event organisers to photograph every one of the ir posters in position in case any other societies should wish to remove their poster and help themselves to the space... It's a serious business, the poster race!

On a related matter, I love how Butler insists on being the one to say go and if someone else shouts go, he demands that all the posters be ripped down so that THEN Butler can say go! The man lives on the edge!

Advertisement