Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you registered??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Fianna Fail ftw :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yup me and my fiance are registered and ready to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Yeh...a registered offender!!! :P

Yes but in Kerry, however I intend to make the trip. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

What if you're living abroad for the next few months and won't be able to make it home in March? Is there anyway I can vote, maybe at an Irish embassy or something like that?

Edit: apparently you can't vote in an embassy, even though other nationalities can, like British/American etc - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2360471381

That is a load of bollox...why the fúck can't we vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

'Fraid not...

Overseas voters
    If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

Postal voters
    You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre, however, you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

A full-time member of the Defence Force
    A member of the Garda Siochana
    An Irish diplomat or his/her spouse posted abroad
    You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

You have a physical illness or disability
    You are studying full time at an educational institution away from your home address where you are registered.
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

Are you studying??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I've been called for Jury duty twice so I assume I am.

Yes, checked today to make sure I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thata a very personal question op. she said she was 18

MadsL wrote: »
    'Fraid not...

Overseas voters
    If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

Postal voters
    You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre, however, you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

A full-time member of the Defence Force
    A member of the Garda Siochana
    An Irish diplomat or his/her spouse posted abroad
    You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

You have a physical illness or disability
    You are studying full time at an educational institution away from your home address where you are registered.
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

Are you studying??

Ah lovely, cheers for the info. Yeah studying, so should be able to do it so. Any ideas how to go about it? Actually it's prob in the link!

• Advertisement

Applications for inclusion on the list of postal voters must be received by 25 November at the latest. If you are registered as a postal voter, you may vote by post only. You may not vote at a polling station.

Too late...

Going Out: 11/03/2011 07:00hrs
    Glasgow (Prestwick) - Dublin
    1 x Adult 9.99 GBP
    Taxes/Fees 0.00 GBP
    1 x Web Check in 6.00 GBP
    Coming Back: 11/03/2011 19:00hrs
    Dublin - Glasgow (Prestwick)
    1 x Adult 21.99 GBP
    Taxes/Fees 0.00 GBP

Travel Extras

Going Out:
    Coming Back:

Total

Total Cost 43.98 GBP

Book now!

Going Out: 11/03/2011 07:00hrs
    Glasgow (Prestwick) - Dublin
    1 x Adult 9.99 GBP
    Taxes/Fees 0.00 GBP
    Coming Back: 11/03/2011 19:00hrs
    Dublin - Glasgow (Prestwick)
    1 x Adult 21.99 GBP
    Taxes/Fees 0.00 GBP

Travel Extras

Going Out:
    Coming Back:

Total

Total Cost 43.98 GBP

Book now!

That's the first thing I did too when I knew I couldn't vote :pac:

To further complicate things, I'm not registered to vote...so if I were to send in my voter reg. form, would it be too late? Like would it have to had been submitted by November?

To further complicate things, I'm not registered to vote

Ah...!

In that case Ryanair x2, as you have to present your form at a Garda Station (could be at the airport I guess? - Tel: +353 1 666 4950)

You have to submit the form before Feb 21st.

Ah...!

In that case Ryanair x2, as you have to present your form at a Garda Station (could be at the airport I guess? - Tel: +353 1 666 4950)

You have to submit the form before Feb 21st.

Maybe just one trip needed....I missed this :o

Supplement to the Postal Voters List
    If you are eligible for the postal voter list but are not included, you can apply for inclusion in the relevant supplement to the lists.

The latest date for receipt of applications is two days after the date of dissolution of the Dáil in the case of a general election or two days after the order appointing polling day for other elections or referenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes, I am!
    Despite having never registered to vote, I am registered at an address I have previously lived at.

Great system imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

yep.
    FF ready to go!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Yes, I am!
    Despite having never registered to vote, I am registered at an address I have previously lived at.

Great system imo.

Census maybe?

You still have time to register your change of address..

Possibly the census. Is it policy to take names off the census and register people to vote and send them voting cards without their asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

I have the same name as my Father and we both live in the same address. How would I know if I'm registered if I checked the register online? would it have the same name listed twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Can't vote as I'm out of the country. For all of you who are going to vote I just have this say. Savour the moment.

I have the same name as my Father and we both live in the same address. How would I know if I'm registered if I checked the register online? would it have the same name listed twice?

Be careful..as it can be deceptive. There should be two listings, one for the Register and (possibly one for the edited register if you haven't opted out)

If either of you didn't check the opt out for the Edited Register you should see the names appear four times.

If you both did check the opt out it will appear twice.

Or if you see the name twice it could mean that one name could be missing.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Possibly the census. Is it policy to take names off the census and register people to vote and send them voting cards without their asking?

I think so, is it possible though that the census taker left a form and it was completed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

If you have got married recently check you are still registered. I was deleted twice off the register with the "reason" married. :mad:

I don't use my married name and the local field officer the auld gob****e who fills it out on behalf of the County Council insists I do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

If you register to vote you will need a TV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

im on the register online but the last time i tried to vote in my local national school i was turned away as they said i wasnt on the register. I took myself off it before because i didnt want to go to jury duty. but now im on the register online again. I think my dad enquired with the local councillor before - could he have put me back on without me knowing? will i try to vote again in march?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Kasabian wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:

One TV licence is needed per house. More than one person can live in a house. How can those two things compare? Never needed to show a TV licence when registering to vote.
    scarymoon1 wrote: »
    im on the register online but the last time i tried to vote in my local national school i was turned away as they said i wasnt on the register. I took myself off it before because i didnt want to go to jury duty. but now im on the register online again. I think my dad enquired with the local councillor before - could he have put me back on without me knowing? will i try to vote again in march?

The form needs your signature, so no one else is allowed register you. However when the people updating the electoral register they asked if anyone else lived in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

As a Dutch national I'm allowed to vote in European and Local elections, not National ones. I've looked into Irish Citizenship as I've lived here since '84, but I would have to pay 950 euro for the privilege (sic) and I can't afford it right now.

I think so, is it possible though that the census taker left a form and it was completed?

Nah. Lived with my brother and dad at the time and asked them long ago did they register me.
    tadcan wrote: »

The form needs your signature, so no one else is allowed register you. However when the people updating the electoral register they asked if anyone else lived in the house.

I am on the register without having filled out a form or signed anything regarding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Hmm? I thought it was voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Mods, can this be put up on every board to check the register. This place has a massive catchment and it is vital, always regardless of the economy or whatever to exercise your right to vote.

Resorting to cliché now but people did give their lives for this right, it should not be cast off so flippantly, so boards, please if you would, do your civic duty.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, since I was 18!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm 19 since November, and am still not on the register.

I sent in an application three months ago to Cork City Council, and have yet to hear back from them. Maybe I'm just not allowed to vote, not like my opinion matters anyway.

• Advertisement

Rosicky7 wrote: »
    I'm 19 since November, and am still not on the register.

I sent in an application three months ago to Cork City Council, and have yet to hear back from them. Maybe I'm just not allowed to vote, not like my opinion matters anyway.

Give this number a ring and ask...
    Cork City Sheriff
    Courthouse Cork Co. Cork
    (021)4271787

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Am registered to vote and looking forward to voting those ff imbeciles out.

Look at the cut of them. Pulled this picture of politics.ie and have been laughing at it all week.

You can opt out; tick the opt out box on the form. This means you will only appear on the Edited Register and this can only be used for election/statutory purposes.

the Data Protection Commissioner is currently hammering An Post over Data Protection....

However, the company came increasingly to my attention as a result of its role in relation to TV Licensing and the operation of its mail redirection service. My Office was concerned that persons validly availing of the paid mail redirection service were not presented with a sufficiently prominent opportunity to refuse permission to pass their details for direct marketing purposes to third parties. Worse still, my Office received complaints during the year that the details of minors entered validly on the redirection forms were harvested and used for direct marketing purposes. Of course An Post did not know that these were the details of minors but there was no sufficiently clear information to ensure that a parent would exercise due caution when entering such details. It also became clear that any person paying An Post for this service to redirect their mail was finding their details entered on the TV Licence database. Whatever the legal position in this respect, I considered that this practice, at best, lacked the transparency one might expect from a public agency.
    In regard to the TV licence database, during the course of the year my Office received a number of complaints about personally addressed mail from An Post regarding alleged failure to have a TV licence. The people complaining were perplexed and rather irritated as to where such details were sourced. A number of them sought the source of such information from An Post which does not reveal such sources. The difficulty is that the lack of information creates a vacuum within which all manner of conspiracy theories tend to grow. The exact method of sourcing these details is of considerable concern to me and my Office continues to engage with An Post on this matter. I cannot allow the current lack of information to continue and I expect significant movement on this issue.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/documents/annualreports/AR2008.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

I'll be voting for Sinn Fein (at least six times)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm registered twice

One with my townland and once without

Vote early and vote often :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I have an identical twin. If she doesnt vote I will not be wasting her vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I used to get two or three votes at my home address once, my mum continues to get two.

Surely if this is the trend in many house holds, this would eventually have an effect on the turn out figures, take my home for example, my three votes, my mums two, another person in the house with one vote. Thats six votes, we use one each, thats a 50% turn out for our house hold.

I'm pretty sure that's just duplicate polling cards; Not sure what the procedure is for prevent voting twice, I know they cross you off the list...

..although I just learnt a new phrase "Electoral Staining", maybe we need this....

52080539.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD23B778C5722E738A45F8B38A21A1B4C40D7A54B0FC17B17AB01E70F2B3269972

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm pretty sure that's just duplicate polling cards; Not sure what the procedure is for prevent voting twice, I know they cross you off the list...

..although I just learnt a new phrase "Electoral Staining", maybe we need this....

52080539.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD23B778C5722E738A45F8B38A21A1B4C40D7A54B0FC17B17AB01E70F2B3269972

Not always. Of the two or three I got, one had my middle name, the second didn't.

For my mums two, the address was printed differently on both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I was in the Garda station today and I've sent off my form:cool:

The Garda I was dealing with was less than pleased to have to go to the bother of signing her name and looking at my driving licence. You'd swear I'd asked her to authorise a bomb:rolleyes:.

Must be a FFer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dambarude wrote: »
    I was in the Garda station today and I've sent off my form:cool:

The Garda I was dealing with was less than pleased to have to go to the bother of signing her name and looking at my driving licence. You'd swear I'd asked her to authorise a bomb:rolleyes:.

Must be a FFer!

No, they are normally like that, you don't know her party

When I was getting my passport application signed such was the sigh and the :rolleyes: I thought it was a 100 page extradition treaty getting signed, not a two page doc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Handy links thanks!
    Kept forgetting to check was I on the register. I know I was before at my parents address because I voted there for various things before, but whe I enter all my details they are telling me Im not on the register anymore! Why is this?

Signing up again at my current address anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭iMac Hunt

Hi,
    I'm having trouble finding out where I'm registered to vote, when I try using www.checktheregister.ie I can't seem to find my townland in the drop down list. Is there any other way to check the register?
    Also I moved to Dublin last year and completed a form about registering your address to vote, that was sent to everyone in the post and I never heard anything back. If I fill out an RFA3 change of address form and get it signed at a Garda station will that be enough to transfer my vote to Dublin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

registered to vote a few hundred miles away. hmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement