Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney issues

• 20-01-2011 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

i have noticed the past week that not all the smoke from the open fire is going up the chimney. some of it is being sent out over it into the room, not good. i recently swept it. i am not sure why this is or if it is a lining problem. i need some-one to come and look at it. this problem is only recent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Check the obvious first - is there a damper in the chimney?
    Birds nest, dead bird, dislodged soot?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I sometimes have a similar problem which seems to be caused by the chimney having insufficient draw to pull the smoke up rather than a fault with the lining. Opening the window a crack (or even the room door) usually sorts it. Once the heat builds up I can usually close the window again. You only need to open the window a tiny bit, you can really feel the flow of cold air in a straight line between the fireplace and the window but it will be fine everywhere else.

Advertisement