Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping a back boiler for a stove.

• 20-01-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am thinking about swapping out my Grant 20" back boiler (photo attached) for a built-in stove with a boiler. I know some of elements of a stove installation have been covered in an earlier thread but I didn't want to hijack that thread in case it had further to go.

I live in a bungalow with a dormer and my main heating is oil fired. There is a Grant back-boiler in series with the main line of radiators. Also from this back-boiler is an up-and-over outlet to the dual coil hot water cylinder with two separate radiators in line. The circulation on this line is solely by thermosyphon. There is also a separate circulation pump on the main radiator line that is activated by a thermostat should the water in cylinder cross 60C.

Coal is the main fuel for our open fire and due to the volume used we tend not to light it too early in the day. Even then; a not very large fire will go through a very full coal bucket in a day.

My thoughts were to exchange the back boiler for a recessed stove unit that would provide good heat for the living room and surrounds and as with the old unit heat the water while making a contribution to but primarily to the main central heating line. At present this oil fired line would not typically be used during the day except in exceptional circumstances.

I have attached a photo of the existing fireplace; the surround was made specifically for it. Obviously I would like to retain this and do as little destruction or modification as possible to this surround.

In relation to the type of solid fuel burned. I only really have access to coal or one of the derivatives. I do not have access to timber logs. This may or may not be relevant. I am still hoping that while getting more heat into the house I might also be reducing the coal bill - even if only a small amount.

I really would appreciate any comments or suggestions that might be forthcoming. I would also appreciate any technical advice anyone might have on my proposals.

Dave
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

well worth doing if you are using that much fuel, the pipework set up for a stove is the same for a back boiler. If the system is old there may be some small alteration required and it is probably worth upgrading the cylinder at the same time. Messy job though but fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Hi, i installed an Esse 350 Greenswitch. Like you i had a backboiler which i hated, the difference it has made to the heating is unreal, well worth every penny, not a whole lot of hardship involved either. I'm very happy with it. I bought mine in England, worked out about €500 cheaper and that included delivery. I can send you on any info you want if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Thanks for the replies.

Tiny Timy, I'd very interested to know what fuel you use. Currently we use smokey coal but this may change during the this year if the legislation changes.

Also I understand that this particular model does not send that much heat out into the room. How have you found it? I am hoping to replace a seriously inefficient 'real coal fire' with something that will still send some good heat out into the room and of course make a contribution to main central heating.

I can't really expect this unit to do much for the main central heating as there are 14 radiators and most of those are double rads. But if the main living room is warm then it's not too bad.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

davidod1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Tiny Timy, I'd very interested to know what fuel you use. Currently we use smokey coal but this may change during the this year if the legislation changes.

Also I understand that this particular model does not send that much heat out into the room. How have you found it? I am hoping to replace a seriously inefficient 'real coal fire' with something that will still send some good heat out into the room and of course make a contribution to main central heating.

I can't really expect this unit to do much for the main central heating as there are 14 radiators and most of those are double rads. But if the main living room is warm then it's not too bad.

Dave
    Yes, it's designed mainly for to heat the water, the instructions say you need a rad in the same room as the stove, but it does give out very good heat. Put it this way, if you put your hand on it, you'd be missing part of it coming back. I love it. I have 20 rads and it heats all of them no problem. I burn turf, timber, coal, anything. It's an allrounder for me. Turf is my primary fuel. It's surprisingly easy on fuel for the heat it gives out. I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

That's really encouraging Tiny Timy. I would like to follow through on it and I would appreciate whatever info you might have. You could PM me and I could let you have my email a/d.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lizzie 1965

hi I was wondering can I have duel heating with a insert stove with back boiler I have gas heating and would like to put stove in my sitting room with backboiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

hi I was wondering can I have duel heating with a insert stove with back boiler I have gas heating and would like to put stove in my sitting room with backboiler
    It depends on you'd had boiler and what the minimum pressure is required for it to work. When you add a solid fuel appliance with a boiler the system must be open vented. This in turn will generally have the system at barely .2 of a bar in a standard house. Alot of gas boilers require the pressure to be at 1 bar.
    So if your boiler suits then yes, a dual system is possible

Advertisement