Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

3 Berth Transit Camper to 4 berth

• 20-01-2011 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hope someone can help me with this query. We are thinking of buying a 1992Transit camper, it has driver seat and single passenger seat in the front and one seat belt at the rear right hand corner over a bench seat. Problem is we need 4 seats. I had hoped it would be a simple case of taking out the single front passenger seat and putting in a double seat like most transits but the insurance company has stipulated that there has to be a walkway. Has anyone any information on whether another seatbelt could be fitted at the rear left hand corner. We did ring a couple of conversion companies but all said that they would have to see the van, problem is as we don't own it we cannot bring it for an inspection - Any ideas anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

What insurance co. were you dealing with?

I've got a single and a double in the front and there's no issue with our insurance (Stuarts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 willbafor

I rang Dolmen Insurance, I also just rang Stuarts and they said more or less the same thing that you have to be able to get from the front of the van straight into the back though he did say that there were no rules as to the size of the walkway, how did you get around this, is there still enough room with the double seat to hop in to the back of van from the front seats ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

That is strange. They never asked about the seats in the front at all, but saying that there are loads of campers with single and double seats in the front. Usually the requirement is that there is no bulkhead behind the seats so that the van is all one space.
    I'd just change the seat anyway and inform the company of the change afterwards. They'll probably not want to lose your business!

To answer you question, my van is quite old to doesn't have head rests, (so you can hop over) and the seats swivel, but as I said they never asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 willbafor

Thanks for that the guy in Stuarts was far more helpful than Dolmen anyway, I might try it and see how we go he did say all they really need is an engineers report from a main dealer.

Advertisement