Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPCE

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hey Does anyone know what the status of the GPCE project is ?

I heard the south-western rep from the IDA being interviewed on Radio Kerry a few weeks ago, and when asked if the IDA would be going to meetings with the GPCE he kept avoiding the question.

I thought this was funny, but today I heard that as the the IDA refused to attend meetings with investors or give their support the project so the GPCE have gone with another location in a different country.

I hope its not true but if it is the IDA should be disbanded, and the minister pulled up on this, a company wants to create 5000 jobs and the govt. and civil servants can't be bothered to do their jobs.

Somebody tell me this isn't true and the is some bit of sense is this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I read on Radio Kerry News online yesterday that it now appears there is another competing location in Ireland bidding for this project. Something smells fishy here. I suspect the IDA are trying to woo this project to another location due to political interference and clout which might explain why IDA are not interested in co-operating with the Kerry location.

The Radio Kerry article also said John O'Donoghue would meet Batt O'Keeffe (Minister for Enterprise) to get more attention and focus on the Kerry location. But as we know, O'Keeffe has now resigned yesterday and with the govt in turmoil until Election Day in March, I fear this development is being put on the back burner politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

There's an election coming up. Demand from every one of those politicians that call to your door what they are going to do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

There's an election coming up. Demand from every one of those politicians that call to your door what they are going to do about it.

+1,000,000 to the above.

Also, it's essential that they get the message to get the state agencies involved to progress the issue.

Looks like this is still on the cards according to today's Kerry's Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Face it - this project has hit the rocks. Here we have the leaders debates centred around job creation. Pharmaceuticals have been mentioned in the preferred sectors but yet none have referred to this 'flagship' project even though it is a bandwagon waiting to be jumped on. This is Tom Doodle terrritory.
    The minute this project became political that was the day it died. If it was any good anyway it would stand on it's own feet via venture capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

During the debate yesterday on Radio Kerry between the candidates running for election in the North Kerry/West Limerick area,it was said that there should be news on the GPCE project next week.

Venture capital??? Seriously. They need €200m. €50m from the government and €150m from private investment. What venture capitalist has €150m these days or ever for that matter? It's not an SME they are trying to start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

titanic_468x288.jpg

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

Plans for a Global Pharmaceutical Centre of Excellence for Tralee have moved a step closer with news that a major pharmaceutical company is to visit Kerry next month.
    The promoters have been in the United States this week for a series of meetings.
    North Kerry/West Limerick TD Martin Ferris has announced that one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies is to visit Kerry next month, after expressing a serious interest in the Global Pharmaceutical Centre of Excellence.
    The company has confirmed it'll visit Kerry on March 16th to meet with State agencies and local elected representatives.
    Deputy Ferris spoke with the GPCE delegation in the US this afternoon. They said the company was extremely impressed with the vision behind the project and its proposed location in Kerry.
    Deputy Ferris says this is a hugely significant development and makes the dream of this ambitious project all the more likely.

Excellent news- sincerely hope that it's well-founded and ultimately leads to an enormous boost to the town/county/province/country!

Remember to interrogate ALL election-seekers on their stance towards/ their efforts to advance this project. It will be the absolute making of Tralee should the vision be realised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Anyone else think this is a big joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

titanic_468x288.jpg

For a moment there, I thought it was a Jeanie Johnston reference, but then I remembered that the only sinking that almost took place after that involved the local councils.

Tech3 wrote: »
    Anyone else think this is a big joke?

I think it's an extremely ambitious project that looks like it is too good to be true to actually materialise but my hopeful, optimistic side says it can happen. I've no doubt those involved in it are passionately committed to it, are taking it very seriously and they have gotten Kerry residents on board with it like no other project in recent history. Whether it will happen, who is to say but I would not write it off as pie in the sky just yet. Finger's crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Thats some good news anyway, I hope it all goes as good from here on.

Sorry what am I saying, Kerry man tries to do something so big no one around here can fathom, he should really know his place, get back into the gutter before we kick you down.

I like the titanic reference tho, the biggest ship [read pharma research facility] in the world, created in Ireland. I wonder if the people of Belfast [ read Tralee] put H&W [read GPCE] down as much for trying?

Everyone should at least back them for trying to put this place on the world map, even if it does hit an iceberg [read the clowns in the govt. & IDA etc] and sink we could alway follow Belfast lead and build even on the failure.

Centerpoint could be named the 'GPCE Quarter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Just like the nearby Tarbert Landbank (2 years to get a foreshore licence) and the obstacles put in front of the "Spirit of ireland project", the GPCE will/has hit the brick wall that is the civil service (in this case the Department of Trade, Enterprise and Employment).
    Until there is real reform of these permanent government classes the private sector will continue to be on the floor in this country. To see the forward planning and vision going on in Germany right now thorough the development of Giant offshore wind turbines displays how much of a mickey mouse country this is. Yes ,the ideas are here (even great ones such as the Spirit of Ireland), it's just that the system smothers them.
    If this country doesn't get it's act together quickly we are all going to be in the manure business.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

The promoters of the Global Pharmaceutical Centre of Excellence in Tralee say up to 282 jobs could be created by May of this year.
    It was announced last week that a leading US Pharmaceutical company would visit the town on March 16th with a view to becoming involved in the project.
    Rory Doyle of GPCE says a further 4 companies will now visit Tralee at the same time and will announce 282 jobs.
    The jobs would be in place by May of this year, and would be largely in the areas of research and development, accountancy, and legal services.
    Mr Doyle say the FG leader and Taoiseach in waiting Enda Kenny has also pledged his support for the project.
    GPCE has invited businesses and voluntary groups in Tralee interested in helping to prepare the town for the March 16th visits to attend a meeting in the Ballyroe Hotel in Tralee at 7pm tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭scientist

In this weeks Kerryman it said that under the GPCE 282 jobs will be created by Glaxosmithkline in May of this year in Tralee so it's up yours to the begrudgers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

GPCE has invited businesses and voluntary groups in Tralee interested in helping to prepare the town for the March 16th visits to attend a meeting in the Ballyroe Hotel in Tralee at 7pm tonight.

It's all systems go for the 16th visit !!!

Let's keep positive please !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Apogee

From today's Indo:
    Ambitious R&D project to generate 282 posts

By John Mulligan
    Monday March 07 2011

ALMOST 300 jobs will be announced next week as part of an ambitious project to build what has been described as a world-leading pharmaceutical research and development centre in Tralee, Co Kerry.

On March 16, five major firms will announce that they will create 282 jobs over a 15-month period. The move marks the first phase of a potential €4.5bn investment in a project that might ultimately see 4,500 jobs brought to Kerry.

Pat Barry, the chief executive of Pharmadel, the Cork-headquartered firm that's promoting the Global Pharmaceutical Centre of Excellence (GPCE) project, told the Irish Independent that recruitment to fill the positions was likely to start immediately.

He said he was unable at this stage to reveal the names of the companies but said they were all well-recognised firms within the pharmaceutical sector. The chief executives of the companies are understood to be planning to visit Ireland to coincide with the announcement.

Mr Barry said that other companies had also now expressed "strong interest" in establishing a presence at the facility.

He added that a planning application for what would be an extensive campus was likely to be lodged next month, or in May at the latest.

At the moment, the GPCE is operating from one building in the town. Government funding is not being sought at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Yo soy el burro

Great now I only need 5 years i.t. experience before I can get a job. Shame i'm not a nurse would have only needed three...

Hi there,
    Where did you find out that you need 5 years experience to get a job and that nurses would only need 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Yo soy el burro

scientist wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Where did you find out that you need 5 years experience to get a job and that nurses would only need 3?

Under the careers tab. All the people they want and what ya need..

http://www.gpce.ie/

Thanks,
    Just had a look there. I'm a science person so it looks like they are taking them with no experience although i have some. Hoping to get a job there too.I d wait until they advertise though sounds like thats just a general guideline. It will depend on the job. I'm sure theyll have to give work experience to people aswell.Would love to know what way its going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

radiokerry wrote:
    09 Mar 2011
    Public invited to meeting to prepare for arrival of companies interested in GPCE project

Members of the public are being invited to a meeting to prepare for the arrival of companies who are involved or interested in the GPCE project. The special meeting of the Tidy Tralee Together committee will take place tonight at 8 o'clock in the Tralee Town Council chamber.

The aim of the event is to organise to clean up the town and surrounding areas in preparation for the arrival of the pharmaceutical companies who will arrive in Tralee on March 16th. The Tidy Tralee Together committee says it's crucial Tralee is shown in its best light for the visit.

That's in about 40 minutes. I think Tralee could certainly do with a nice cleanup, GPCE or not. I'll try to be there in time, don't know whether I can make it though.

Have they announced the jobs yet? Thought i heard something on kerryradio today.:D

scientist wrote: »
    Have they announced the jobs yet? Thought i heard something on kerryradio today.:D

Almost 300 jobs just announced on the Irish Times website. See link below. Fantastic news and a great start to this project. Lets hope it reaches it's full potential and turns the tide for Tralee - Delighted :D:D:D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0316/breaking46.html

I know! i am so thrilled with the whole thing! Now I must think about how to get me a job there!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Yes, great news indeed. Many people did a lot of work to make it happen.
    I noticed how unbelievably tidy the town has become over the last couple of days, even the whole road from the airport to Tralee had been cleaned. Not one single bottle or sheet of paper in the ditches, flags flying on nearly every lamppost and an estimated 25 full size billboards with the "xxx welcomes the GPCE" all the way into town. All the flowerbeds newly planted, the fountains running in glorious sunshine and so on. A really great day for the people of Kerry, and one to be proud of for all who contributed. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Yes. They deseve all credit for putting all that time and effort into making something happen for Kerry.I'm Proud of them. They didnt just moan about the job situation they got up and did something about it. Fair play to them.

Advertisement