Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPCE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wonder what kinda jobs they will be, like will you need some kind of science degree or will there be more broad clerical type jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Quaderno wrote: »
    Yes, great news indeed. Many people did a lot of work to make it happen.
    I noticed how unbelievably tidy the town has become over the last couple of days, even the whole road from the airport to Tralee had been cleaned. Not one single bottle or sheet of paper in the ditches, flags flying on nearly every lamppost and an estimated 25 full size billboards with the "xxx welcomes the GPCE" all the way into town. All the flowerbeds newly planted, the fountains running in glorious sunshine and so on. A really great day for the people of Kerry, and one to be proud of for all who contributed. Thank you!

If only it was always like this....such a novelty to see the roadsides cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

siblers wrote: »
    Wonder what kinda jobs they will be, like will you need some kind of science degree or will there be more broad clerical type jobs?

There seems to be a fairly wide range listed on the careers section of the website, anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I didn't realise they had already put up a list of the jobs available. I'm tempted to apply, but I've been so long out of the area I am experienced/qualified in that I'm actually too scared to do it! putting up the salary scale might help though as it would determine if I would be better off where I am or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 REGUSA

This is great news for Kerry and hopefully the beginning of large organisations setting up businesses in rural areas where work is badly needed. We can't all live and work in the big cities. Wondering where and with whom the jobs will be posted........looking forward to possibly obtaining work with a company who offers a full-time position that is not seasonal. Hooray for Kerry!!!:)

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I didn't realise they had already put up a list of the jobs available. I'm tempted to apply, but I've been so long out of the area I am experienced/qualified in that I'm actually too scared to do it! putting up the salary scale might help though as it would determine if I would be better off where I am or not!

Sure it can't hurt to send them an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 REGUSA

REGUSA wrote: »
    This is great news for Kerry and hopefully the beginning of large organisations setting up businesses in rural areas where work is badly needed. We can't all live and work in the big cities. Wondering where and with whom the jobs will be posted........looking forward to possibly obtaining work with a company who offers a full-time position that is not seasonal. Hooray for Kerry!!!:)

Thanks. CV already sent. Good luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Are the wheels slowly coming off?
    PLANS to build a multi billion campus in Tralee for the mooted Euro Pharmaceutical Centre of Excellence have been abandoned by the backers of the project.

The Kerryman has learned that the GPCE company has effectively given up on plans to construct a massive campus-style complex for the highly ambitious project on 32 acres of land adjacent to Shannon Development's Kerry Technology Park near Tralee Institute of Technology.

GPCE, which has leased a small amount of office space in the Centrepoint building in Tralee, has indicated that rather than trying to build and fill a single site, the company will now try to accommodate any companies that are willing to work under the GPCE umbrella in existing offices and buildings in the greater Tralee area.

The Kerryman understands that the buildings under consideration include Centrepoint, the former Aetna premises in Castleisland and a number of potential sites, some of which are still to be developed in the Manor and Mile Height areas of Tralee.

The proposed campus was supposed to accommodate some 45 to 50 small and medium pharmaceutical companies which, between them, would have, according to the GPCE, employed around 4,500 people.

A public meeting last March heard that the planned campus,

on a 32-acre site owned by Shannon Development, was to have been a four-storey building, with a basement level, built on a landscaped site.

The building would have measured a massive 1.2 million square feet in size with a site footprint about 10 acres larger than Croke Park and would have required eight separate car parks.

News that the campus plan has been scrapped follows confirmation last month that the backers of the GPCE project, citing difficulties in their dealings with the IDA and Shannon Development, are in negotiations to move the entire project north of the border to Derry.

That development provoked a furious reaction in Tralee and led to major political pressure on the two state agencies to fully engage with GPCE and secure the jobs for Kerry.

To this end representatives of the IDA and Enterprise Ireland travelled to Washington DC late last month to meet with a number of potential GPCE investors at the 2011 BIO International Conference.

During the trip the group met with US multinationals GRS and Optivia — two of the firms who last March committed to creating 282 jobs based at the Centrepoint building in Tralee. These jobs were to represent Phase 1 of the GPCE project.

So far these jobs have yet to materialise and while the recruitment process has commenced it remains to be seen if Phase 1 will be up and running by the end of July 2011 as is stated on the GPCE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are the wheels slowly coming off?

They'll be lucky to get two jobs out of this, and it's been a complete shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They'll be lucky to get two jobs out of this, and it's been a complete shambles.

Two jobs? I think you are being optimistic!

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Two jobs? I think you are being optimistic!
    They might need to hire a few people to take down all the signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

dapto1 wrote: »

True. Perhaps they could avail of WPP or the graduate internship scheme for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Pleny of lessons to be learned from this fiasco. Unfortunately when will us Kerry folk grow up and get real? - Tom Doodle strikes again. The only winners were the sign makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pleny of lessons to be learned from this fiasco. Unfortunately when will us Kerry folk grow up and get real? - Tom Doodle strikes again. The only winners were the sign makers.

The only problem is that those responsible never do learn, and are always too busy blaming everyone else for the screw-ups.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Don't they need a start-up of ~40m euro from the Government?

I'd say they were just throwing the Derry idea out there in the hope of scaring up some funds to let them actually get going.

I'll believe it when I see it. Have there been any signs of anything actually getting started in Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

dapto1 wrote: »

How prophetic!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0207/1224311400795.html

It looks as if we will get 2 jobs out of this after all........if only for a day or two......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Surely when the Courts Service leased the offices GPCE were using in Centrepoint the jig was clearly up!

So absolutely nothing came out of all this. Not a thing!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Tech3 wrote: »
    Anyone else think this is a big joke?

Well spotted :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭AWD

Picked up this from some local source on February 6th 2012

"However she says Minister Jimmy Deenihan recently met with Optivia, one of the companies due to create jobs in Tralee; and Minister Deenihan is confident Optivia will be creating jobs in Tralee. But speaking to Jerry O'Sullivan, Senator Moloney believes it's fair to say the project is dead.

Isn't this more of it ... Gobbledegook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I was getting the train to Dublin last Thursday and when it was coming into Farranfore on the airport road a guy with a ladder was taking down all the welcome GPCE flags....

Vain wrote: »
    I was getting the train to Dublin last Thursday and when it was coming into Farranfore on the airport road a guy with a ladder was taking down all the welcome GPCE flags....

He's the only guy that got employment from the whole thing......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Advertisement