Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for a nice chicken dish for the gf

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

She's coming over tomorrow and I've never cooked for her before so I hope she'll be pleasantly surprised.

Foodstuffs I already have (only have to use the chicken breasts):
    4 chicken breasts
    Onions
    Garlic
    Brown Rice
    White Rice

She hates stir fry so I cant do that, plus its all I can make so I want to challenge myself and make something different.

Ill go to the shop tomorrow and pick up the ingredients of what sounds tastiest and manageable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Slice the chicken and put some mozzarella inside. Wrap it up in parma ham.

Serve with some pan fried potatos and steamed veg, deeeeeeelicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

put chicken breast on aluminium foil, add some honey( not too much ) cover top with small orange bits. Wrap and roast in oven for 40 minutes in 180 *c.serve with juice you get from honey and orange and boiled rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

You could make creamy chicken and rice.

Tub of 250ml cream (single or double it doesnt really matter)
    Mushrooms sliced.
    Peppers diced
    Garlic 2 cloves
    onion diced
    chicken stock.
    rice or if you wanted to have it with pasta.

Cook chicken and veg in wok, and garlic, mix chicken stock cube with half cup of boiling water add to the wok and reduce down till it goes kinda sticky, then add the cream and bring to boil untill its tickened, serve with rice or stir in pasta.

Really nice (not good if your on a diet tho):eek:

You could also use this for filling vol au vents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Here's a cutesy one

Chicken with Champagne (or any sparkly fizz - Asti even!!)

It's Valentines dish I used to do - very friggin' twee but I dont know your bird she might be into twee?

Butterfly the breast - the chicken's ;) and open it out - looks like a love heart doesn't it. Season well Saute this with oil and butter - set aside.

Saute shallotts and tadette of garlic, throw in the fizz and reduce (yer making a very simple white wine sauce here by the way. Ad cream and reduce on temperate heat until the sauce turns a nice golden colour then whip off immediately.

Chop chive and ad to the sauce.

This needs a nice plate - big round and plain. spoon the sauce onto the plate until it covers completely. Its' importnat you have a good sauce consistancy - not watery!!

Lay the butterflied chicken in the centre and dress with roasted cherry toms on the vine.

Very twee - but hey what the hell - worked for me (15years ago)

Slam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Hey, thought of another oen for ya.

Chicken Balls - as in Chinese take away Chicken balls

Batter: milk, cornflour, tumeric (this is a coloru cheat)

Mince the chicken with garlic, soy, fish sauce, fresh chilli, spring onion.

(fry a littel of this mixture in a pan to guage seasoning.

Ball up the chicken, dip in flour, then batter then deep fry.

Serve with fried rice etc, etc

Slam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Another version of the stuffed chicken that's quite impressive but still easy is the following:

Chicken stuffed with black pudding, wrapped in parma ham (or streaky bacon) and served with a whiskey cream sauce

Using a sharp knife, create some pockets in your chicken breasts. Using your fingers, crumble a couple of tablespoons worth of black pudding, and stuff them into the pockets. Close the pockets, and wrap the chicken with parma ham (or similar cured ham - thinly sliced streaky bacon is also good). Pop the chicken breasts in an oven proof dish. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and roast in a pre-heated oven (180) until the chicken is white and opaque, approx 25-30 mins.

Meanwhile, steam some spuds and mixed veg. You don't need anything fancy beacuse the chicken is so rich.

To make the whiskey cream sauce, pour some cream into a small saucepan and heat slowly, stirring continously. Crumble in a beef Oxo cube (or half, if it's just the two of you) and add a shot of your favourite whiskey. Stir well and allow to reduce and thicken slightly. It should be smooth and pale brown in colour.

If the sauce is made in advance, don't leave it to simmer too long as it can split. You may need to take it off the heat, set aside, and reheat just as you are taking the chicken out of the oven. Alternatively, just make it 5 mins before the chicken is ready.

To plate up, drizzle some whiskey cream sauce over the chicken breast and then add your spuds and veg. Everyone always asks for more of the sauce. :)

This whole meal takes about 35 mins and looks and tastes great.

Advertisement