Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a PS3...

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

...can anyone suggest a shop in Cork city with the best deal for a new PS3? Not really bothered by packages, I can buy games online for cheap, just the machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I was selling mine (bought the new console just to play Heavy Rain) but have decided to keep it for DC Universe online.

I bought mine in Game, it did come with a basic package and I did a trade in but at the time it was about 250 with a controller and new game. I'm not sure if they're doing the console on it's own.

At the moment most of them have the PS3 Move thrown in too.

Sorry I know you're just looking for the console but maybe this'll generate more replies for you? I'd give Game a try anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd say your best bet is to stroll around and ask. When I bought mine Smyths were doing a slightly better deal than GAME. I was surprised at the time that nobody was doing an offer including an extra controller - just different games packages.

+1 to Blitzkrieger's comment. I know a few people who got a good deal from Smyths. I was happy going to Game as I was doing a trade in and had store credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cheers lads, I would have checked Smiths, Gamestop and Game automatically anyway, I suppose a better question would be is there any shop I am missing?

Ha ha super Cork. Answer is no probably. I'm not very good at the buying things on the internet game unfortunately. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Stabler008

I have a ps3.

I would think GAME is your best bet.
    If you do buy one make sure you sign up for the loyalty card while you're there because that's the only reason I am saying them.
    It's handy sometimes when you're buying a game and you realise you have €10 euro on your card! :-)

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

hmv do good deals sometimes,

Stabler008 wrote: »
    I have a ps3.

I would think GAME is your best bet.
    If you do buy one make sure you sign up for the loyalty card while you're there because that's the only reason I am saying them.
    It's handy sometimes when you're buying a game and you realise you have €10 euro on your card! :-)

Enjoy!

My exact reason for going there. They're also pretty sound and you can have a proper conversation with the staff there about the games and they'll be honest too. They're well sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

for a piece of hardware like a PS3 I'd just check Game, Gamestop, HMV, Smyths and Argos and buy the cheapest one.

it's the same machine like, so just go with price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Maybe check Harvey Norman too.
    I know they were doing a deal on the Xbox recently...

• Advertisement

How does one get to Harvey Norman from the city center?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Which one and in what?
    But i'd ring first anyway to check price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I got mine in Harveys back in October, €300 with fifa 11 thrown in for free (old 120gb version)

at the time it worked out cheaper then even amazon

since then amazon reduced the price to £240

Plus it looks like they've swallowed up the uk vat increase,
    so should work out pretty decent when they add on the extra 1% vat for here

I made it to the final screen when I was testing whether they would deliver to I Ireland, so there should be no problems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did you get it in the end op?does anyone know if they sell headsets for the ps3 in game?

In the next few says hopefully Seph.

Hey Seph dude, yeah they did when I was in there last, they're going them with the keypad. Mayeb give them a buzz if you're planning on going in and if you're living far from the city. But they had them before Christmas defo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NoDice wrote: »
    Hey Seph dude, yeah they did when I was in there last, they're going them with the keypad. Mayeb give them a buzz if you're planning on going in and if you're living far from the city. But they had them before Christmas defo.

ah the keypad thing would be handy too,hopefully its cheap.

I don't think it was. I remember thinking "holy shit are they serious??? Fecking Sony grumble grumble grumble". Ha ha, but saying that I was also expecting the basic headset to be under 30 squid. No dice.

Getting one for DC Universe?? Can't wait to finish Fable so I can move on to it!

I don't think it was. I remember thinking "holy shit are they serious??? Fecking Sony grumble grumble grumble". Ha ha, but saying that I was also expecting the basic headset to be under 30 squid. No dice.
    That last made bit me laugh out loud :D
    Getting one for DC Universe?? Can't wait to finish Fable so I can move on to it!

No wanted to get one for red dead redemption,I dont think Im gonna bother with dc universe,dont think I could afford to buy the game and pay a monthly fee.......no dice!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Orizio wrote: »
    ...can anyone suggest a shop in Cork city with the best deal for a new PS3? Not really bothered by packages, I can buy games online for cheap, just the machine.

Have a new PS3 120GB that's unwanted if you're interested. Listed on adverts.ie

• Advertisement

Got a 320gb with GT5 for 330 in Gamestop. Seems decent enough value.

Got a 320gb with GT5 for 330 in Gamestop. Seems decent enough value.

Not a bad price,get any other games?

Ordered Bayonetta and Assassion's Creed 2 cheap off the net. Anything else you would suggest?

Ordered Bayonetta and Assassion's Creed 2 cheap off the net. Anything else you would suggest?

Red dead rempemtion
    fallout new 3/new vegas
    pes 2010 is good if you like soccer
    yakusa 3
    final fantasy 13
    valkyria chronicles 2

all worth trying,you could probbly get them cheaper on the net too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

if you like driving games then Gran Turismo 5.

Heavy Rain & DC Universe online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

The Uncharted games are supposed to be good. They are the reason I want a PS3.

They are pretty good but reminded me of the first Tomb Raiders on the PC tbh.

TBF every game I play is usually on the xbox, I have the PS3 for Heavy Rain (Sony bought the rights) and DC Universe (need payment details upfront if you get it for PC).

The Mass Effect games are prob my all time faves. They are on PS3 now too right? I'd highly recommend them! Epic RPG shooter with a classic Bioware storyline.

Also, Heavy Rain is ridiculously overpriced, even for it's graphics. IMO you can't really get a good second play-through considering you know about all of the characters and the credits at the end show the alternate outcomes. :rolleyes:

Great game and I loved it when it came out, but get it cheap if you're going for it!

• Advertisement

The Mass Effect games are prob my all time faves. They are on PS3 now too right? I'd highly recommend them! Epic RPG shooter with a classic Bioware storyline.

Just the second one,3rd is coming out for it too I think,I don't understand why they didn't release the first one on the ps3 though,didn't make just to release me 2,I have them for the pc,great games.

Advertisement