Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation advice...

Options
  • 21-01-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My wife and I are planning a move to Galway over the coming weeks and I was wondering if anyone here would have advice on choosing a house or apartment in the right area.

We are not really familiar with the city but we're looking for a comfortable 2-bedroom place that's within reasonable (half hour or so) walking distance of the train station.

If possible, we're hoping to get somewhere that's fairly quiet/free of big parties, so any advice on places to avoid for that reason would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lower Salthill area will hit all the right spots. Walking distance to absolutely everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Other half and I relocated here ourselves about 5 months ago and same as yourself I sought advice on here... We're now living in Knocknacarra which is a beautiful, quiet area. You'd probably be better off moving out here though only if you (a) drive or (b) don't mind using public transport to get into town. Both bus eireann and city direct buses serve the area. You also have local shops (Joyces, Dunnes, Newlook, Next, B&Q, Phamacies etc) nearby and a park, how near depends in which area you live - Knocknacarra is a big area. Anyway highly recommend it. Salthill isn't a bad option either though, closer to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lower Salthill area will hit all the right spots. Walking distance to absolutely everything.

Thanks. Any housing estates or apartments that you'd recommend in particular?

dreababyluxe: Knocknacarra sounds good but unfortunately it might be a little too far out for us as we don't drive and I will be commuting to work from the train station most days. Thanks for the advice, though, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi
    Here are some older threads on the topic, with suggestions
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=moving+to+galway+site%3Aboards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I'd second this. Lovely area, within walking distance of town and has shops/pubs/restaurants/beach too. Lived there myself for a few years and loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I agree. Salthill is lovely. It was a bit of a kip in the 80's but it very pleasant now. I lived there for a few years before I got hitched. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I will be commuting to work from the train station most days.

I'm curious, where are you working that the train table allows you to commute there from Galway? (I've heard things about it being hopeless for that .. glad to here it's possible for some places!)

Are you planning to walk to the train station every day? Do you know it rains a lot here? TBH, if walking I'd want to be closer than that.

Are you looking for suburbia? There are apartments in the inner city that aren't too loud - keep away from Eyre Square / Eyre St / Cross St / Market St / Church Lane area, to avoid night-time noise. But the downside to the inner city is the council cleaning workers who start at about 5am and use giant vacuum cleaners.

What's your partner going to be doing? That might suggest a direction from the city centre ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

+1 about the rain. It really is terrible. Have you considered cycling + full rain gear?

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm curious, where are you working that the train table allows you to commute there from Galway? (I've heard things about it being hopeless for that .. glad to here it's possible for some places!)

Are you planning to walk to the train station every day? Do you know it rains a lot here? TBH, if walking I'd want to be closer than that.

Are you looking for suburbia? There are apartments in the inner city that aren't too loud - keep away from Eyre Square / Eyre St / Cross St / Market St / Church Lane area, to avoid night-time noise. But the downside to the inner city is the council cleaning workers who start at about 5am and use giant vacuum cleaners.

What's your partner going to be doing? That might suggest a direction from the city centre ..

Thanks for the response, and sorry for my lateness in replying. We haven't made any progress with accommodation yet - tried a few places that were in the Galway Advertiser last week but they were already gone by the time we phoned.

The train commute is to Athlone. An hour each way, four days a week, which is not brilliant but not too bad either.

There's not much that can be done about the rain, but thanks for the warning! ;)

Just curious, I saw a couple of places in Newcastle / Hazel Park. Is it fair to assume that this area is heavily populated with students?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

How about one of the gorgeous apartments on Loch Atalia? Some of them are divine and a very short walk to the train station and in a quiet location, no parties there.

• Advertisement

Sounds good - I will keep an eye out for anything advertised there.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I'd stay away from Newcastle/Hazel park as mostly students. It's a fair walk from Hazel park to train station.

Mullan Mór on Tuam road have nice duplex houses and very quiet. Used to lived there and only moved to get a house with a garden. I suppose that's a half hr walk too though into town

Advertisement