Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the Shift!

Options
  • 21-01-2011 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

The use of the word "shift" seems to be making a huge comeback over the past year. Even on Facebook the 'shift' groups are always popping up. And Im loving it. Love the word. I love getting the shift even more. Who cares about the ride anymore, if you get the shift on a night out then thats a result!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

juma wrote: »
    The use of the word "shift" seems to be making a huge comeback over the past year. Even on Facebook the 'shift' groups are always popping up. And Im loving it. Love the word. I love getting the shift even more. Who cares about the ride anymore, if you get the shift on a night out then thats a result!

No it's not ,but "Thrusting the purple headed warrior into the quivering mound of love pudding" is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Its not as good as getting the bang

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you didn't get the ride, you should at least get a stinky finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

A finger and a shift.

Them rubberbandits are bringing it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

The Shift was back in fashion long before Horse Outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

shift used to mean 'making out' when culchies said it a couple of years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It still does...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

phasers wrote: »
    shift used to mean 'making out' when culchies said it a couple of years ago...

Thats a very old ancient thing to say.... ffs, a "shift" was the rage in the 90's... leave 'em there where it belongs....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Tonsile hockey might come back too haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Notcied this, after every night out it's all "Did ya get the shift?"
    No one is asking about the ride at all now

I prefer it this way, it's juvenile and a bit of a laugh, was better craic getting the shift back in the day than jumping through hoops for the ride now imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

If you cant lift her dont shift her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it not just that there's been a mass exodus from Bebo and the like and now the younger folk are all up in your Facebooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Yeah, you can't beat the fish fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it not just that there's been a mass exodus from Bebo and the like and now the younger folk are all up in your Facebooks?

No. Most of my friends on it are in their mid 20's. So no. Just....no.

Maybe your just bitter because you never get the shift or the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

"The awkward moment when you stick out your tongue for communion and the Priest shifts ya"

No. Most of my friends on it are in their mid 20's. So no. Just....no.

Maybe your just bitter because you never get the shift or the ride?

Brilliant.

That's undoubtedly the reason.

I love the way that because I made a point about your thread and I'm somehow 'bitter'. Why would I be bitter because young folk on a social networking site that I don't use are using a word that I don't really use anymore because when you get to my age 'getting the shift' isn't any big thing to write home about?

You're getting awfully defensive over a thread about a word being used on a social networking site. What is it that you're not telling us juma? There's got to be more than this? Are you feeling ok? Have the big boys been taking your lunch money again?

Perhaps you're just bitter because I know how to use "your" and "you're" correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Once ya empty the bag, your not doing to bad :)

Brilliant.

That's undoubtedly the reason.

I love the way that because I made a point about your thread and I'm somehow 'bitter'. Why would I be bitter because young folk on a social networking site that I don't use are using a word?

I didnt say you were bitter, I only said that maybe you were. But the fact that you got so defensive makes me think I could be on to something.

Anyways back to the shift. It isnt just on Facebook. It seems to be commonly said among people these days if they got with someone the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

orourkeda wrote: »
    Its not as good as getting the bang
    I'd be more partial to 'The Jump' myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

"The awkward moment when you stick out your tongue for communion and the Priest shifts ya"

I logged onto boards.ie to get away from those stupid fcuking mass jokes on facebook.

Will I ever be free? :confused:

• Advertisement

I didnt say you were bitter, I only said that maybe you were. But the fact that you got so defensive makes me think I could be on to something.

Ah bless, it's trying to 'diss' me.

Did I say that right? 'Diss'?

You young folk, getting all worked up over swapping saliva.

It's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Donkey balling is what its all about :D

Ah bless, it's trying to 'diss' me.

Did I say that right? 'Diss'?

You young folk, getting all worked up over swapping saliva.

It's cute.

Well you're the person who seems to be desperate to engage in a childish argument. Sadly, I have too much class, so I'm not going to respond to any more of your immature comments. Now, I'm off to CPs to get the shift!

Well you're the person who seems to be desperate to engage in a childish argument. Sadly, I have too much class, so I'm not going to respond to any more of your immature comments. Now, I'm off to CPs to get the shift!

Ah look - it thinks it's people! :)

And it has a sense of humour too! First time I've ever seen someone claim they have 'class' and then admit they're heading off to CP's.

Don't worry juma, you'll get to have actual full sex with a real live naked woman one day. Just hang on in there kiddo!

Oh and well done for getting "you're" right this time. Did you get a grown-up to help you or did you figure it out with your brain all by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

There's a load of 'shift'ual tension between Annoboy and Juma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

CPs in Galway? Drunken 1st Year students.....yes sir, you do have class ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Sea Sharp wrote: »

Shift happens...

Sea Sharp wrote: »

I know! I know!

Ok, check over my shoulder. Is he looking at me now?

Is he?

DON'T MAKE IT OBVIOUS!

F*ck's sake.

I'm hoping to get the shift off him later.

(And then have anal sex with him down the alleyway down the back of Sally Long's)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Love this saying, just because its such an Irish thing to say. A few jagers and a shift, what more could you want from a night on the town!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

Ride me sideways was another one :D

Advertisement