Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the Shift!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

bm365 wrote: »
    Love this saying, just because its such an Irish thing to say. A few jagers and a shift, what more could you want from a night on the town!

Eh the ride.Kind of seals the deal tidys up loose ends and leaves you ready for another round

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Brandog wrote: »
    Eh the ride.Kind of seals the deal tidys up loose ends and leaves you ready for another round

When your drunk? No, no, no, no. That isnt even sex. Its nothing more than awkward naked time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

juma wrote: »
    The use of the word "shift" seems to be making a huge comeback over the past year. Even on Facebook the 'shift' groups are always popping up. And Im loving it. Love the word. I love getting the shift even more. Who cares about the ride anymore, if you get the shift on a night out then thats a result!

It looks like we are back to the ancient times of the 80's/90's then?
    Ya unfortunately think the getting the 'ride' part is slowly dying out. So a 'shift' is as good as it gets when on nights out. Ye be lucky to even get a peck on the cheek or a dance these days cause people are either too shy or too fussy or too drunk or need dutch courage to approach the opposite sex!

Back to old times I say or old school more like!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    There's a load of 'shift'ual tension between Annoboy and Juma

It must be the 'shift'ual feelin'!:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Or what my friend always asks, did she get the wavin?
    wavin pipe for all those people who don't know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

phasers wrote: »
    shift used to mean 'making out' when culchies said it a couple of years ago...

yea never got that, asked would ya shift her. my reply was, why she seems fine where she is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian Cadogan

If "the shift" doesnt mean making out anymore then what does it mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

If "the shift" doesnt mean making out anymore then what does it mean ?

move aside and let me sit there... :pac: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I just call it scoring. Always have.
    Scoring or getting the shift, or making out, are all fine in my book. What drives me mad is when people take "meet" to mean making out. That fad invited a lot of ridiculously annoying jokes in the early school days, "I met your sister at the cinema last night" "OOH LA LA" "..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

give her a dickin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I can't remember when "shift" wasn't used here, it always was.:confused:

But I remember a few friends from other places used to say "meet"

"Will ya meet him?"
    "Meet him where?!"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Anything's better than "score"

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Porking some vag is my personal favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Or what my friend always asks, did she get the wavin?
    wavin pipe for all those people who don't know

Or "did you give her a taste of the protein bar?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian Cadogan

i live in laois and around here we all say will you "meet" her? instead of will you kiss her or get with her. it can get quite irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Prefer the term "pulling a cum dumpster!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

It's coming back and I'm lovin' it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Who uses the phrase 'making out'? C'mon Saved By The Bell ended years ago. 'The shift' is the term to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

i live in laois and around here we all say will you "meet" her? instead of will you kiss her or get with her. it can get quite irritating.
    I hate "meet" with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

"Shift" all the way. "Shifting FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACES" even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

A: Did you get the shift or the ride?
    B: I rode the arse off her, Jesus lads she was a demon in the sack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chompleton

Shift your arse.

Chompleton wrote: »
    Shift your arse.

Nice first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

LambsEye wrote: »
    "Shift" all the way. "Shifting FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACES" even better.

"Ating the face off each other" is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Right now lads, maybe I'm too young to remember the 90's, so I'd be one of these 'young ones' people keep making reference to, but I think that makes me qualified to give my opinion on all matters related to the shift, scoring, meeting, making out, tongue jousting and tonsil hockey playing!

Now, being from North Laois the term in common usage around my end was, up until recently, meeting, ie 'Did you meet her round the back of the rugby club last night?'. However, in the last six months (or there abouts) this craze of using the 'the shift' has become a lot more common. Now bearing in mind that shift means different things in different places (as in Dublin, where it means 'the ride' to many people) but has always meant to kiss someone using tongue to folks living in the West of the country, I feel there's two main reasons for 'the shift' becoming more and more common nowadays. 1) With more of the younger (ie. MY generation) emigrating to facebook they have gained access to new terms, such as 'getting the shift'. 2) I feel that shows like The Hardy Bucks have also exposed the colloquialisms of the Western counties, such as Mayo and Galway, (where I personally believe the term originated) to a wider audience. It is for these reasons I think that using the term 'the shift' is now sweeping back through the country like a Californian forrest fire

I would also like to point out to anyone from North Laois who may be reading this that by sheer coincidence (and spending some time with my cousin from Galway) that I started using the phrase satirically of my own accord just before it started to make it's sweeping come back, in others if you're from the North Laois/ East Offaly area, and use that term, I am officially taking credit, you're welcome.

"Ating the face off each other" is much better.

Truth. "Sucking faces is enjoyable too."

Let's also make a conscious effort to bring back "Doing a line." As in, for going out with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

bm365 wrote: »
    If you cant lift her dont shift her.

Ah but the bigger the pig, the smaller the bucket :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

The day my Dad told me "I saw you shifting some bird outside the chipper lastnight" was the greatest 10 seconds of my life! He is 56 and managed to get shifting and bird into the same sentence:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

What the **** kind of goon says 'making out'? No one Irish in their right mind would utter those words.

Shift has been popular around these parts, in the Wesht for years, it may have waned in popularity when 'were ya with anyone' came into fashion for a while.

Did ya get the shift? Yeowwwwwwwwwwwww

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

What the **** kind of goon says 'making out'? No one Irish in their right mind would utter those words.

The kind of goon who thinks he's better than the rest of us.

Advertisement