Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a programing languages to learn

• 21-01-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I've been doing websites/graphic design for a while and wanted to move from that into programming (hobby not job)

I've got a couple of questions.

What is the most new and most used programming language?

I also go some 3D design and am big into gaming. What code would one use in game design

I know i'll never make a game but it's more out of interest then anything

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Suppose Java or C# would be some of the newer languages that are widely used, they're both very similar.

For games, its going to be C++ (maybe C sometimes) because its faster than the above languages. 3D game engines are quite complicated and its more than just knowing to program. Theres lots of maths involved and algorithms etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

NeVeR wrote: »
    I've been doing websites/graphic design for a while and wanted to move from that into programming (hobby not job)

I've got a couple of questions.

What is the most new and most used programming language?

I also go some 3D design and am big into gaming. What code would one use in game design

I know i'll never make a game but it's more out of interest then anything

thanks.

New programming languages are coming out all the time - but the two most used programming languages are C++ and Java.

For gaming, while the base engines are generally written in C++, more commonly when adding to an existing game engine, they will provide a sandboxed language such as Python for your changes.. although others simply provide libraries to C++.

Hobby languages that are useful for general development (thinking web and gaming here), Python's almost certainly your best bet. Ruby would also be a good choice for web dev, but less so for games. More conventional choices for web dev would be PHP and for gaming C++, but neither of them are such suitable general purpose languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Advertisement