Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can i BLOCK p2p downloading during the day?

• 21-01-2011 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

I know there is a thread on configuration of p2p, but this is not directly relating to it.

I live in a house with 5 other people. there are 6 next door, and we all share the internet. its a chorus connection, and its working perfectly.

Im the only one who connects by ethernet, and i have full control of everything.

The others just use wireless and connect.

I want to block ALL p2p downloading from a certain time. say from 9am to 1am. i told the house mates to ONLY download during the night time hours, and its starting to annoy people when the internet is slow as a snail due to the others downloading.

My setup is

Cisco EPC2425 (wireless disabled)

netgear rangemax WPN824v2 wireless router. (everyone connects to this)

any suggestions?

ive already blocked several common p2p ports

and ive added a few common keywords such as "axxo" "torrent" etc to the block list, but it doesnt seem to stop them.

none of them are very tech savvy, but these damn p2p programs use random ports everytime...

so, can someone help me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd check this list.

There's a few in there between 1100-65536 that people may use but otherwise I'd blanket ban the lot. If they can't access something during the day you'll soon hear about it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

The main problem is p2p can use any ports. The correct way of disabling it is to inspect each packet.
    On an unrestricted cisco router (assuming upc dont allow you access to the main config / qos) you would create a class-map and a policy map that would inspect the packets and set the dscp flag to 1 on p2p packets. Then you would apply a time based access list to deny any packets with the dscp flag set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If that router supports Netgear Live Parental Controls then you may be able to use that in conjuntion with OpenDNS to do what you want. It's not perfect but it's close if the others aren't too techy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

it has parental controls, but you need to pay to activate it.

ill blanket close all ports on that list, and see what happens. i can easily re-open the ones that people then need.

cheers guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Do you have any facilities then on either the Cisco or the Netgear to control port forward rules by time of day? Do you need the control to happen automatically on a schedule without any intervention from you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get a better router that supports Dd-wrt, there are plenty of guides on setting up QOS on Dd-wrt so everyone can browse and download at the same time. I can game with torrents running or Youtube videos streaming.

With Dd-wrt You also have access restrictions, You have the option to block protcols at specific times
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_Restrictions

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Get a better router that supports Dd-wrt, there are plenty of guides on setting up QOS on Dd-wrt so everyone can browse and download at the same time. I can game with torrents running or Youtube videos streaming.

With Dd-wrt You also have access restrictions, You have the option to block protcols at specific times

finances restrict me getting a better router. but ive always wanted to try out tomato.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Chances are most people wont bother downloading though other ports or over http or through vpn etc so you should be sound blocking common ports.

pog, cheers dude, but i think ill hold out and maybe put some money into a gigabit network.

I could do with a gigabit switch more tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

pog, cheers dude, but i think ill hold out and maybe put some money into a gigabit network.

I could do with a gigabit switch more tbh.

Why - surely nothing to do with your broadband?

Why - surely nothing to do with your broadband?

i would prefer a gigabit network as i have several machines and with the other 10 laptops that people use that makes quite a number of devices.

I have a movie computer with 3-4tb's of movies, and they are always copying files from it etc so it would speed things up quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Physically disconnect them? :)

Although that won't stop them doing it while doing other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

have u tried limiting the available bandwidth to each user by assigning bandwidth quotas to each user.

it wont stop them downloading on p2p but it will slow their dl's down while giving everyone else a share of the bandwidth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

PogMoThoin wrote: »

i highly recommend dd-wrt firmware for the linksys wrt 54g router. its very easy to use and has way more options than the original linksys firmware had.

Advertisement