Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-E back on track

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

After the fabcom from a few days ago, I've been filled with a new found hope for S-E after a disastrous last year where two huge rushed FF games were introduced into the market (although i did like FF 13, just felt it needed a bit more time to be truly amazing). Mind you I still knew S-E were great when it came to handhelds, but it seemed like that was it.
    My new hope comes not only after seeing the trailers but S-E's behaviour. I mean we finally are getting time frame for releases, the newly announced titles are coming out within a year of the announcement (Dissidia, 13-2) and the localization times seem to be cut to minimum (versus having a worldwide release, 13-2 coming out next winder, dissidia coming out a month after the japanese version, 3rd birth coming 3 months after japanese release etc). So do you think S-E has finally put aside its troubles from various restructuring and issues with Crystal tools and can finally deliver now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be honest, I'd still need a good year of great games before I'd jump back on the "I love SE" bandwagon. I still play most of their games but I lost my zeal for them after FFX

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

RedXIV wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd still need a good year of great games before I'd jump back on the "I love SE" bandwagon. I still play most of their games but I lost my zeal for them after FFX

I agree with you (although as I've said i liked ff13 and their psp and ds games were great too). I think this year, if they pull it off successfully, can bring them back (that's provided that they work on some announced titles as well, because then there'd be another big void between S-E games). But it seems that their inter problems might be solved and they can finally focus on making games only

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't think of any PSP or DS games that they made that were great. There's a few that they published from other companies like Dragon Quest 9 but they didn't make them.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can't think of any PSP or DS games that they made that were great. There's a few that they published from other companies like Dragon Quest 9 but they didn't make them.

eversince the merger with Enix, dont they actually make DQ9? I mean its all the one company.

I liked FF Tactics A2, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts Recoded, FF 12 Revenant Wings, The World Ends With You all on the DS (i havent played DQ yet so I cant comment) and on the PSP there's Crisis Core, Dissidia and Birth by Sleep. All of the above were, I think, great (TWEWY might have even been one of the best DS games)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mario007 wrote: »
    eversince the merger with Enix, dont they actually make DQ9? I mean its all the one company.

Level 5 are now the primary Dragon Quest developers, Square Enix merely publishing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Enix own the rights to Dragon Quest, they never made it though. It used to be Chunsoft and then Level 5. Was too found of their portable games, felt like the usually Nomura emo stuff. FF13 was the first square game in months I actually enjoyed and even then I've moved on and have played far better RPGs.

Level 5 are now the primary Dragon Quest developers, Square Enix merely publishing.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Enix own the rights to Dragon Quest, they never made it though. It used to be Chunsoft and then Level 5. Was too found of their portable games, felt like the usually Nomura emo stuff. FF13 was the first square game in months I actually enjoyed and even then I've moved on and have played far better RPGs.

That's weird, I thought Enix made them and since the merger they'd just continue to make them. I suppose that'd be the reason why DQ haven't had a debut on a HD console yet.

@Ret0: with regards to portable stuff, it's actually been quite great and pretty much without emo Nomura stuff, he's actually doing well to avoid the emo routine (well with the exception of roxas in KH:Days).
    The games published by S-E on the portables really kept my faith in the company. You should give em a try. My personal tips would be TWEWY, KH: Birth By Sleep, Dissida (although i'd wait for the second one), FF 12 Revenant Wings (the story is your classical engaging FF story on par with with full fledged titles, it's really a direct sequel and treated as such)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

The world ends with you is probably my favorite SE title since FFX. If your put off by the apparent emoness of the characters don't be the story is quite good on how it develops the characters.

Advertisement