Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Douglas ... what's going on?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Have they given up or what? I was in there last week, and couldn't believe the state of the place. There was mince meat in packaging in a fridge which was so gone off that it was brown, and there was some sort of brown blood/soup at the bottom of the packet - worse again is that there was a few of these together. Went to the bread section, and there was large blue mould spots clearly visible on some rolls which again were packaged. Tottled off to the veg section, and couldn't find the basics - no single lemons, hardly any tomatos left on display ... is it just me, or is anyone else noticing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have always found the Tesco in Douglas poor. Their selection is not great at all, and I have seen the "grey" mince there before. Its not a patch on the Mahon point one.

They have one particular guy who looks after the self checkouts who makes people feel really uncomfortable, he kind of looks like he thinks you are robbing the place!

I really only go there because of the parking and where it is in Douglas. My preferance would be Dunnes, but Douglas Court is a balls to get in and out of with any kind of traffic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

What about their reduced to clear section, it's along the milk or cheese isle I think (there abouts anyway).

Most of the stuff they have in that section is manky and shouldn't have made the shelf’s to start with.
    It's a little bit funny watching the vulchers hovering around while they load up that section and soon as the stuff leaves the hand of the shelf packer - bamm!!!, they nab it like it's gold.

I’ll admit though, I do have a look the odd time when the vulchers are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

a bit harsh lennox. might just be a necessity for " the vulchers "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Parking on the quieter days is handy, the new road has made a difference and I no longer *fear going there, now it's a choice for me and I do.

But, considering the sheer size of the new Tesco there, variety was seemingly absent, prices higher and quality not high ~ it would not be my first choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we shop there frequently as its across the road and i agree, a worker there said they get daily deliveries and only get the bare minimum they need to cover the days sales, so if you are in there at 9am you'll get everything and its fresh,

my guess is if they are only getting the minimum they will hang onto and sell everything thats left over...we refuse to buy our meat there as it always looks rotten, we go to the butchers two minutes away.

but when a giant store like that struggles to stock things like nappies while dunnes with less room has no problem, you know its bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

+1 on Tesco in Douglas being shoite. Mahon point is the best in the city by far. Wilton is ok but not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The butches just across from them is a great spot. Sound out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Bill-e wrote: »
    The butches just across from them is a great spot. Sound out

and the donoughts from Quigleys are just fab! I can't bring myself to go up to the marks and Sparks though cos it means passing the stinky pet shop where the poor pets are trapped inside never to see daylight!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We've been using Douglas for the last few months and find it grand. I was in there on Wednesday evening and it was fully stocked.

Now Mahon Point is another story altogether - best exemplified by the fact that they shelve only wine under their large "Speciality Beers" banner and have done so for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

we shop there frequently as its across the road and i agree, a worker there said they get daily deliveries and only get the bare minimum they need to cover the days sales, so if you are in there at 9am you'll get everything and its fresh,

my guess is if they are only getting the minimum they will hang onto and sell everything thats left over...we refuse to buy our meat there as it always looks rotten, we go to the butchers two minutes away.

but when a giant store like that struggles to stock things like nappies while dunnes with less room has no problem, you know its bad!

You cant beat Dunnes stores..;);).

Bishopstown Court is the best supermarket in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

By far the best Tesco i have been in is the one in Tralee its in the manor west retail park the staff are very nice there is this one guy called anthony he always seems to be smiling and very helpful the only thing is there is always a que at his checkout as people like going to this fella he will also halp you pack your bags which i have not seen happen in tesco in a long time. By far the best check out person i have come across . Going back to the shop itself it is well stocked and clean the only thing is they could do with more staff around the floor as if you are looking for something you have to go up to the information desk and ask. One thing i have notiched is that there prices have gone up a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Tralee is a bit far for the weekly shop. I tend to avoid male cashiers, they always look a tad bit lost on tills lol
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

a bit harsh lennox. might just be a necessity for " the vulchers "

Thank you... and yes, we "vulchers" are often in dire need.... I was in this tesco for the first time last week and it seemed a bit run down somehow. Nothing much in the "prey" section either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you... and yes, we "vulchers" are often in dire need.... I was in this tesco for the first time last week and it seemed a bit run down somehow. Nothing much in the "prey" section either;)

ok, "vulchers" is harsh, I agree. But people were napping stuff out of the Tesco person's hand & off their trolley before it even got to the self... no respect for the worker. Listen, I take it back if anybody is offended.

But seriously though, most of the food in that section is manky and I know because I've tried various items like a chinese chicken meal which was foul, should have bought a breast of chicken and some veg to make my own.

Anyway, Back to the topic:

I don't mind Douglas Tesco, haven't really paid attention to the state of the place but agree with OP on the Veg section, i find it hit & miss.
    Don't buy my meat in Tesco or Dunnes as there's some great butchers in Douglas.

Has anyone gone past the fish section in Mahon?? It smells so so bad of severely rotten fish!!!

LeNNoX wrote: »

like a chinese chicken meal which was foul,

Hardly surprising, chicken is foul ;)
    Has anyone gone past the fish section in Mahon?? It smells so so bad of severely rotten fish!!!

Are you sure it was from the fish section ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

talking to someone in retail management a while ago, they gave me the reasons why tesco has deteriorated so much over the past few years...

their ordering and product lines system is now completely automated through the tills as a cost-cutting measure. no more floor managers with order sheets now, which means that the bare minimum is always ordered and certain brands are discontinued much quicker than before. unlike dunnes!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Are you sure it was from the fish section ;)

didn't see your mother around so i'd say it were from the fish.

didn't see your mother around so i'd say it were from the fish.
    nice, always reckoned you were so lovely

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This isn't After Hours. Please try to stay somewhat on-topic, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RampantRabbitt

We bought a nut mix in Tesco Mahon Point. When we checked at home it was 14 months out of date. We mentioned the bad smell at the fish counter and were told it was the drains??! As for the "vulchers", it seems they do the rounds of the stores and some of them aren't short of a few bob. The guy in Tesco Douglas told me they even stop him when he's off duty to ask about reductions, even walking down Patrick street one guy stopped him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

murphym7 wrote: »
    They have one particular guy who looks after the self checkouts who makes people feel really uncomfortable, he kind of looks like he thinks you are robbing the place!

I think I 'experienced' that lad last Saturday, what a clown. I'd say he's on a little power trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

At least they eventually turned off that awful announcement "please prepare to push your trolley off the end of the conveyor" in the most drab English accent known to man.

I just got back from a few months in Spain and all I will say is that if you think Tesco is bad, try Carrefour (España). Lousy customer service, treated like dirt at all times. I even saw a situation where an elderly customer tried to walk the wrong way through a check-out and was pounced on by an *armed* security guard who seemed to think he was guarding against some kind of invaders!

Tesco could definitely do with pull its socks up though. I find the range very poor at the moment across all of their stores. Something's definitely changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Solair wrote:
    Tesco could definitely do with pull its socks up though. I find the range very poor at the moment across all of their stores. Something's definitely changed.

Mahon Point an exception, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

LOL @ the self-service bloke & the escalator voiceover, so true.
    Agree Tesco is often understocked of late.
    I watched the Panorama special on supermarket chains and I gave up Tesco as part of my new years resolutions. Trying to support small, local businesses where possible & relatively economical - butchers, greengrocers, fishmonger etc topped up with the essentials from Dunnes & SuperValu. Still can't wean myself of the odd trip to Aldi though from their packaging a lot of their produce is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LeNNoX wrote: »
    ok, "vulchers" is harsh, I agree. But people were napping stuff out of the Tesco person's hand & off their trolley before it even got to the self... no respect for the worker. Listen, I take it back if anybody is offended.

But seriously though, most of the food in that section is manky and I know because I've tried various items like a chinese chicken meal which was foul, should have bought a breast of chicken and some veg to make my own.

Anyway, Back to the topic:

I don't mind Douglas Tesco, haven't really paid attention to the state of the place but agree with OP on the Veg section, i find it hit & miss.
    Don't buy my meat in Tesco or Dunnes as there's some great butchers in Douglas.

Not offended and would not grab anything.

You mean you can afford to buy meat? Not seen red meat in years so walk past that section. We get the 9 k packs of chicken legs from Shannonvale and occasionally a cheap chicken.

But I was disappointed with that Tesco. My first in West Cork too; only went in because I got lost and saw the signs. Won't do that again. Maybe try the Tesco Extra next time if I see that.

SO it is good to know that it was not just me being picky. And yes to Dunne;s; 5 doughnuts for E1 is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

In fairness, even before the development of the complex a while back, Tesco wwas always a mess :/

Advertisement