Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Advice Needed

Options
  • 21-01-2011 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Over the last few weeks iv been out regulary with a friend shooting rabbit using a O/U shotgun or a ruger 10/ 22. And iv been clay shooting and rifle shooting on the range for a good while now.
    Iv opted to get go for the shotgun. Initially i dont want go for a double barrel primarily because i dont like the look of them, no other reason . I was going for 3 shot semi/auto or 3 shot pump action Foolish maby, but i want to like the look of what i put my hard earned cash into. If it does not limit me functionaly too much.
    Iv been looking at the remmington 870 pump action or the remmington 11-87 semi/auto. And have been moving towards the pump action because the semi/auto is twice the price.
    I plan to use it for small game, Occasionally some clay shooting and some of my own target course shooting.

Does anyone have experience with a pump action? Negative or Positive

Any good advice would be welcome, cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I will not comment on the make as i've never owned a Remington. I would however advise against getting a pump action.

For one they are even more frowned upon by people at clay pigeon shots, even more so than semi autos.
    Secondly they need a certain level of ability to use. A semi auto with its automatic chambering of the next round is great for shooting while remaining on target. However with a pump, at least until you get used to it, you may find yourself dropping the gun to cycle the next round, abd then having to shoulder the gun to shoot again.

As mentioned you will get the hang of this, but with a semi you don't have to worry about this.

Go for the semi auto.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 redsheep

get yourself the 870,i have a 5 shot one and has never let me down ...cycles pefectly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

duffyer wrote: »
    Over the last few weeks iv been out regulary with a friend shooting rabbit using a O/U shotgun or a ruger 10/ 22. And iv been clay shooting and rifle shooting on the range for a good while now.
    Iv opted to get go for the shotgun. Initially i dont want go for a double barrel primarily because i dont like the look of them, no other reason . I was going for 3 shot semi/auto or 3 shot pump action Foolish maby, but i want to like the look of what i put my hard earned cash into. If it does not limit me functionaly too much.
    Iv been looking at the remmington 870 pump action or the remmington 11-87 semi/auto. And have been moving towards the pump action because the semi/auto is twice the price.
    I plan to use it for small game, Occasionally some clay shooting and some of my own target course shooting.

Does anyone have experience with a pump action? Negative or Positive

Any good advice would be welcome, cheers.

I had a Remington 11-87 and now I have a Remington 105CTi, both 12G.

The 11-87 is reasonably heavy in comparison to the newer modern Remingtons.

I found the 11-87 quite loud on the ears, my cuz and I often wwent shooting together and he had a browning Fusion which was a sweeter gun to shoot than the 11-87.

However the 11-87 will dust clays all day lon (if you can :D )
    It will take all makes of shells and has a load of after market. I had a sythentic & wooden stock for mine.

A pump does not feel as rigid as a Semi in the hand due to the fact the fore-grip moves to actually pump the gun.

On the + side a Pump could last several generations without failure.

How much is your Budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a big difference in price between the two guns! If they were the same price I would get the S/A, but they aren't.
    I have an 870 supermag with synthetic stock, and it is not pretty but it is very durable and reliable with all ammo types.
    Its a question of budget TBH more than action type.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

870 no problem ........tried and tested in their many millions by law enforcers, military and sportsmen.

No problem with spares if ever needed and can have many different combinations from extras availiable

Remmington 870 is 495.00 at Island Sports in Castlebar www.islandsports.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

Cheers for the info everyone . Basically i am tied to a budget. So the semi/auto is unlikely to happen any time soon and I dont particularly want to spend 1100 on my first gun if i can get away with it. I have done alot of research on the 870 and have heard good things. And there seems to be no one totally against them here, so am going to go for it. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

why not buy second hand if the budget is an issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had a Mossberg pump action and just couldn't get on with it, amonest other reasons. I now have a Beretta Urika semi-auto but have yet to get out with.
    There are plenty of second hand semi-autos out there for cheap money if your prepared to ring around the dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

how much would an 870 cost?
    redsheep wrote: »
    get yourself the 870,i have a 5 shot one and has never let me down ...cycles pefectly !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most places have them for just less than 500 for the laminate or the synthetic stock.
    The supermag is a little more around 560 or so
    Second hand 300-350 if they can be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

clivej wrote: »
    I had a Mossberg pump action and just couldn't get on with it, amonest other reasons. I now have a Beretta Urika semi-auto but have yet to get out with.
    There are plenty of second hand semi-autos out there for cheap money if your prepared to ring around the dealers.

I got out yesterday for 3/4 hours with snipe02 and his uncle for a bit of rough shooting. Two good lads and they have a couple of springers that are troopers to go.
    I got a shot at a couple of birds but through no fault of the Beretta missed. It cycled perfectly and is a pleasure to both use and carry, can't wait until the next trip out with the gun.

Advertisement