Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold water marine tank video

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's pretty damn cool :) Are these rock pool inhabitants? Two reasons I ask; 1) it brings back memories of rooting around in same when I was a kid :) and 2) if they're rock pool types, would the high flow of water be an issue for them and would some of them be used to a tide out cycle?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

That's cool but the music is nuts...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Thats looks fantastic.
    How are you keepnig the water cold as I would imagine room temp would heat it.
    What filter if any are you using

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seanyroche

standard juwel filter and no chiller at the moment it runs at about 16 degrees. here is an update video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqwo0_SPR9U

Fantastic and thanks for answering my questions but I have one more if you dont mind.
    Did you stick the anemones on the rock with somthing or did they move around the tank and settle were ever they wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Did you stick the anemones on the rock with somthing or did they move around the tank and settle were ever they wanted

I can't answer for seanyroche, but I have a similiar setup (running stable for about two years by now) and I can tell you that I only collect anemomes that are are attached to small stones to put them in the tank with. You can't simply pluck them off the substrate, because that would most likely damage them. You have to find a suitable stone with an anemome on it, which should be easy enough in most places. The anemone may decide at any time to wander around the tank and change its place later, though.
    It's the same way I handle the macro algae, find a plant that has a good size for the tank with a small stone attached to its feet. You will find that the algae are the part of the tank you need to change most, because without the tides they will usually begin to deteriorate after about two weeks.

I have to agree with seanyroche: this kind of cold water native tank in my view is the greatest way to keep marine animals at home. And should you ever have to leave the tank alone for some time (holiday etc) you can simply release all inhabitants back into the sea. I absolutely love it and so does my daughter.
    My tank: http://www.youtube.com/user/garnelennet#p/u/6/sL6s4rd2C74

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Quaderno wrote: »
    I have to agree with seanyroche: this kind of cold water native tank in my view is the greatest way to keep marine animals at home. And should you ever have to leave the tank alone for some time (holiday etc) you can simply release all inhabitants back into the sea. I absolutely love it and so does my daughter.
    My tank: http://www.youtube.com/user/garnelennet#p/u/6/sL6s4rd2C74

that's looks pretty cool.:)
    Any chance of some more pics of the whole thing?

Great looking at the videos.I agree I also would like to see full tank pics or vids thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I didn't want to hijack the thread, but here you are:

The tank is actually fairly small, just 60x30x30 (54l), but that doesn't spoil the fun because the animals we keep are small as well. So they still have plenty of room and we strictly avoid keeping more than 2 small fish together at any time.
    Usually the animals will be returned to the place they were collected after a couple of days to a few weeks in the tank and then new ones can be caught. So you can always have surprises and new "guests" to watch without the need to overstock the tank. That is actually what makes this kind of aquarium so special: you can always change things, collect new animals and release the previous ones - that alone is at least as much fun as keeping them in the tank. Imagine a child catching a crab, being allowed to take it home, watch and feed it for a week or two and then return it to the same rockpool unharmed. That's simply great stuff you will never forget in your life :D

Here are some pictures:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That's a great way to do it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement