Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Trainer in communal area?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 7:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just looking for some advice here.

I live in a 3 bed apartment. It's modern and spacious with a decent kitchen cum living area. at the moment we are trying to rent out the 3rd bedroom.

We have found a girl who my flatmate says is sound. However there is just one thing bothering me. The new girl has a cross trainer machine that she wants to bring from her old place. As her bedroom is very small she wants to place this in the living area.

There is space enough for it there but it will certainly look unsightly and out of place. So far we have kept this area uncluttered to give us as much space as possible...

I object to this. It's her machine, she should have it in her own space.

Or am I being totally unreasonable here??? If we let her put it there wha else will she try to impose on us??

Any opinions??

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

No, I've had a similar experience and agree with you.

It wasn't just the aspect of it looking out of place, i didn't want to witness somebody else working out while I was relaxing after a days work. I was happy to go for a run or a cycle or head to the gym.

We agreed on a general rule of no majorly out of place items in the communal area so that covered bikes, exercise machines and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

your within your rights to tell her no, but you have said it yourself her room is small, so likelyhood is she wont move in ot if she has already moved in might move out.

So the question is are you willing to risk not finding somebody else and take a hit and end up paying more rent (assuming you are renting the full apartment therfore you will be paying 1/2 instead of 1/3 of the rent if you dont have somebody move in)

your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could she take one of the bigger rooms (and pay more rent)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

D3PO wrote: »
    your within your rights to tell her no, but you have said it yourself her room is small, so likelyhood is she wont move in ot if she has already moved in might move out.

So the question is are you willing to risk not finding somebody else and take a hit and end up paying more rent (assuming you are renting the full apartment therfore you will be paying 1/2 instead of 1/3 of the rent if you dont have somebody move in)

your call.

There is plenty of interest thankfully so that won't be an issue. She seems like a nice girl thou. I have a feeling she might hold a grudge against me which might cause tension from the outset...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Victor wrote: »
    Could she take one of the bigger rooms (and pay more rent)?

Myself and the other tenant are happy with the room situation. It's an issue for her.
    I basically said you are welcome to move in but the x trainer cannot be put there. I said the hallway is ok as it is spacious...

I just didn't know if I was being a bit anal about the whole situation..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Myself and the other tenant are happy with the room situation. It's an issue for her.
    I basically said you are welcome to move in but the x trainer cannot be put there. I said the hallway is ok as it is spacious...

I just didn't know if I was being a bit anal about the whole situation..

I wouldnt say so. Your making it clear from the outset which I think is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CollegeProbs

can u imagine having ppl over and her sweating up a storm in the room-dodgey. to be fair the hall is a grand option and ppl always have to keep stuff in their rooms.imagine if 3 of u had x trainers, how full would the apartment be then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ebixa82 wrote: »
    There is plenty of interest thankfully so that won't be an issue. She seems like a nice girl thou. I have a feeling she might hold a grudge against me which might cause tension from the outset...

Well if you think her not being allowed have the cross trainer in the living room is going to cause tension from the outset, why on earth would you let her move in?

The last place you want tension is your home. Its not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

FWIW, I agree that this girl's cross trainer should not be housed in the living room. As well as the reasons already mentioned, there would be the issue of the smell that tends to accompany exercise. You don't want to walk into the living room with your dinner and be greeted with someone's post-workout whiff. And in the winter opening a window isn't always an option.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of damage. Either one of the tenants could accidentally damage the machine or it could break down and the girl who owns it may look for someone to blame. All such problems can be avoided if the girl keeps the machine in her room where only she is responsible for it. If the room isn't big enough for her things she shouldn't agree to take it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

I shared with someone with a cross trainer a fair few years ago now. They had it in their room. Ended up the ceilings started cracking all over the place.

When the landlord saw it he went nuts. We had to pay for the damage.
    Never ever have exercise equipment upstairs :)

If she wants to work out. Join a gym or get her own house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement