Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of switching to upc any advice

• 21-01-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Looking at making the switch to UPC for TV and home phone broadband at 75 euro per month

With Sky at moment for TV and Vodaphone for phone/broadband
    Sky 30 pm and Vodaphone average 45 but problem is the download limit is set at 40gb and my son is always on youtube so costing me a fortune in charges for going over my allowance average monthly use is around 80 gb so upc offering 120 gb as part of their package

Anyone got any experience in making such a switch over to UPC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

pay the extra €80 for the thomson router.... it will save u hours of calls to customer support complaining about how fail the cisco router is

apart from the crappy cisco router UPC is a reasonably good quality service

the thomson router is also capable of going up to 100mb+ downlink and has draft N wireless for fast wifi speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Get a FreeSat HD system with Irish DTT for RTE etc... One off installation charge and no monthly bills ever, and go with another phone and BB package with a higher limit! ie Magnet, Eircom etc...

UPC bang on about how they dont have a line rental fee, but you end up paying as much in the end anyway!

As UPC are not the best anymore, freezing pictures and highly compressed pixelated TV, iffy customer service and hefty fines and downgrade fees for exceeding there caps even if you dont?:eek: read some of the threads here!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

pay the extra €80 for the thomson router.... it will save u hours of calls to customer support complaining about how fail the cisco router is

apart from the crappy cisco router UPC is a reasonably good quality service

the thomson router is also capable of going up to 100mb+ downlink and has draft N wireless for fast wifi speeds

Would they provide the Thomson router or do you buy it? Do they do installation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Would they provide the Thomson router or do you buy it? Do they do installation?

They loan it to you for the duration of your contract.
    They install it.

I think OP is more interested in 5 or 10 mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Buy the 30 euro Hd/recorder tv box - the regular box is so laggy and crappy in general

• Advertisement

What's the current UPC offer-is it 10 or 20MB? I am presently on eircom and have had little trouble with them. I hear UPC customer service is dire -that's why Im a bit wary of them. So they do they provide you with a decent wireless box??

Seems UPC are not set up yet in half of Ireland. One wonders why they have such a massive advertising campaign but yet cant hook up half the nation. They are not in Bray yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Seems UPC are not set up yet in half of Ireland. One wonders why they have such a massive advertising campaign but yet cant hook up half the nation. They are not in Bray yet.

they seem to get a kick out of telling you their service is not in your area yet and they have no date yet...i really wish they would get their finger out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

What's the current UPC offer-is it 10 or 20MB? I am presently on eircom and have had little trouble with them. I hear UPC customer service is dire -that's why Im a bit wary of them. So they do they provide you with a decent wireless box??

I got UPC (this pack) installed two weeks ago. I am very impressed with their service so far. As an example, look at the sms I got this morning:

145850.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Zynks wrote: »
    I got UPC (this pack) installed two weeks ago. I am very impressed with their service so far. As an example, look at the sms I got this morning:

145850.png

Good opportunity to ask they why they don't comply their own terms and conditions or Comreg's requirements when they want to introduce a price increase!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dub45 wrote: »
    Good opportunity to ask they why they don't comply their own terms and conditions or Comreg's requirements when they want to introduce a price increase!

dub45, can you please stop dragging threads off topic into the same old rehashed topic.

I understand its an issue of concern and on many of the points I agree with you but the topic has its own dedicated thread in fairness

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote: »
    dub45, can you please stop dragging threads off topic into the same old rehashed topic.

I understand its an issue of concern and on many of the points I agree with you but the topic has its own dedicated thread in fairness

I am not dragging the thread off topic at all - the op is asking about making the switch to UPC. What is more relevant to anyone considering making a switch to UPC than their behaviour in relation to their own Terms and Conditions or their attitude to Comreg the national regulator. Or simply the respect the Company shows to its own customers?

If that is not relevant to a potential customer then what exactly is?

Advertisement