Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second sun next year???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Yeah it will happen eventually. Can't wait cos it will freak a lot of people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

are the mayans a reliable source? lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

emo72 wrote: »
    are the mayans a reliable source? lol

While this is going to happen sometime it will probally be many years in the future, long after we are all gone. By 2012? not likely. As for the Mayans dont get me started!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

While this will be amazingly cool I'd prefer if it happened at earliest January 1st 2013. 2012 Mayan whatever believing people are annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Oh christ there has been at least 2 or 3 reports about 2012 and star/sun related crap released this week and its wrecking my head, everyone keeps screaming 2012 wherever I go :mad:.

This would be amazingly cool if it does happen though, heck for all we know it has already happened but the light hasn't reaches us yet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not this mayan calendar crap. It's all nonsense. I'd love to see betelgeuse go supernova. I imagine it would be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Would that have any effect on communication satellites etc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I remember reading before that if this did go supernova that it would be the brightest thing in the night sky, brighter than the moon even. Surely it wouldn't be as bright or close to as bright as our sun though like this article suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I remember reading before that if this did go supernova that it would be the brightest thing in the night sky, brighter than the moon even. Surely it wouldn't be as bright or close to as bright as our sun though like this article suggests.
    I don't think it would be brighter than the sun. About 2000 years ago the 'cats eye' nebulae was a star but exploded and was recorded by Chinese astronomers. I think....

Plug wrote: »
    I don't think it would be brighter than the sun. About 2000 years ago the 'cats eye' nebulae was a star but exploded and was recorded by Chinese astronomers. I think....
    When the giant star, which is much brighter than the Sun, explodes, there will be no night for several weeks on Earth, Dr Carter said

Yeah I thought as much but the article seems to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Phil Plait
    Always up for a good debunking is our phil.
    Jist of article is we have no way of knowing when the betelgeuse supernova is gonna be visible here on earth. It might be tomorrow or 10,000 years from now.
    He also notes that the amount of light from the supernova we would recieve here on earth is comparable to the light we recieve from venus. Enough to maybe cast a shadow when the moon isn't out, which is pretty cool in itself and doesn't need to be sensationalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

weisses wrote: »
    you missed the first line where it said "may" kinda like iraq may have this or that and it "could" hit us in 15mins, must of been a slow day in the old office............

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

digme wrote: »
    you missed the first line where it said "may" kinda like iraq may have this or that and it "could" hit us in 15mins, must of been a slow day in the old office............

Missed that ..... link????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Yeah I thought as much but the article seems to disagree.
    I think the article means that the star is brighter than the Sun, if they were both side by side. But by the time that light reaches Earth, it will seem much weaker to our eyes. Still, it would be bright enough to light up the night sky, but I doubt it will be quite as bright as the days will be, at least in the hemisphere that has its summer at the time the light reaches us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Second sun in the sky? Look up on any clear night and you will see thousands of suns in the sky. There are suns there during the day too, but the sun makes it too bright to see them. According to the more reliable accounts an exploding Betelgeuse isn't going to have the same prominence as some of the more fanciful stories are putting it, and there is no definite idea of when it might happen. Predictions like that are hard to make. So in the meantime, just go out and enjoy the sky as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Flukey wrote: »
    Second sun in the sky? Look up on any clear night and you will see thousands of suns in the sky. There are suns there during the day too, but the sun makes it too bright to see them. According to the more reliable accounts an exploding Betelgeuse isn't going to have the same prominence as some of the more fanciful stories are putting it, and there is no definite idea of when it might happen. Predictions like that are hard to make. So in the meantime, just go out and enjoy the sky as it is.

I was just quoting from the article

Just read it before you start repeating what is actually in the article ... But luckily you still have your more reliable accounts ppfewww

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Doesn't matter how spectacular or not the event is or whether it happens this year or in the year 12,000. The fact is, it will happen in June and we won't see it in Northern Hemisphere Ireland :rolleyes: Murphys Law and all that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

from my understanding you will be able to see this during the day, hence why he said second sun.
    But the article is a fairly cheap publicity stunt, probably to coincide with this mayan 2012 rubbish.

We have of course no way of knowing when this will happen.

The supernova in 1006 was visible in the day for a short time, it was also recorded that at night it was so bright that you could read a manuscript by it.

It lasted around 3 months and then faded away over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if we were to see this supernova next year, would that mean it actually happened 600 years ago and the light has taken this long to get here?

Sparko wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if we were to see this supernova next year, would that mean it actually happened 600 years ago and the light has taken this long to get here?

Yes, more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

2 suns? There will be no need for me to switch to my energy saver bulbs then :)

Advertisement