Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Services?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

OK not something I'd usually bring up but it might start some interesting discussion...

I've spoken to so many people over the last couple of months, who like myself, suffer from some form of diagnosed mental 'illness'. Many people find that it somehow affects their progress in college, and their general day to day lives. So many people, and I always felt it was just my experience, have gone down the counselling route in UL, and found that the answer to everything, regardless of previous diagnosis, is that you're quite simply stressed. So many people have had negative experiences of the counselling department (although I'm sure just as many have had positive experiences). The health centre, as fantastic as the people are in there, really isn't geared towards these kind of patients.

Yes there are other people to talk to within the college such as ULSU, chaplains or teach fáilte. I've been fortunate enough to have some very close friends who keep me smiling, and likewise I try to do likewise for my friends. That's all well and good. However recently I've become privy to people who aren't so fortunate to have people willing to listen to them, and get them through what can only be fully understood when you've gone through it yourself.

I've pointed some of these people in the direction of the support services within the college, but they have unfortunately had the same 'not so positive' experiences as myself.

So here's my question: Are the support services within the college failing to provide what a certain group of students really need.... are the failing to provide whatever it is that is needed to give students the confidence to talk to them, and ultimately finish their degree.

I've been so lucky with the friends I have, but I've witnessed people who don't have such close friends willing to offer their time...

Thoughts?

Advertisement