Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Kitchen Cabinets

• 21-01-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I am looking for some advice on hanging kitchen cabinets on to a plasterboard wall.

The problem I have is that ordinarily i would hang them off the wooden batons behind the plasterboard but in this case there doesnt seem to be any batons.

From drilling exploration holes and using a stud finder it appears that the builders stuck the plaster board to a block wall using lumps of plaster. The depth from the surface of the plaster board to the block wall behind is 35mm.

Does this sound right ? what is the best way to hang kitchen cabinets on this type of wall ? any help would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It was fixed dot and dabbed style.

Drill, Rawlplugs and 70 - 80mm screws, something like 5 x 80's. Did it in my own house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

You could try fixing 30-35mm thick (approx.) wooden batons directly to the block wall - through, and flush with, the plasterboard - and then fix your cabinets to these batons -- i.e. cut holes/spaces in the plasterboard to allow suitable supporting batons to be securely fixed directly to the block wall. You could "shim" behind the batons if/as necessary. Maybe approx. 35mm x 75mm batons.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭ra0044

Many thanks for the advice.

They are full height cabinets so will probably go with batoning on to the block wall and then scew the cabinets to it. Sounds a bit more secure. My wife seems to want to fill the cabinets to the brim so weight maybe an issue.

I have now also discovered some plastic pipework in the exact place i was thinking of screwing the cabinets to as well so will have to look in to that aswell.

Advertisement