Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi security camera

Options
  • 21-01-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Is this any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

In a word no! It doesn't give any specs so god only hnows what the quality is like.

If it's for your house I'd say your better off going for a wired system w/ a DVR recorder. More reliable in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 No specs usually means no good.
    Also connected to standard VCR or DVR mean no watermarking. Images would be no good as evidence even it you did see anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

WildOscar wrote: »
    Is this any good?

If it was any good,then every security firm and alarm fitter would be buying them up.

They aint,so thats tells you your answer.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Don't go near it! I'm just back from aldi after returning mine which I bought this morning. Got my €60 back which I was happy about. I wasn't planning on using it to record, just wanted to see who was at the door by changing channel on the tv.
    Anyway I just sat the camera on an upstairs window ledge facing out into the driveway. It worked ok when the receiver was 1-2metres away on the tv in the bedroom.
    When I plugged the receiver in downstairs in the tv room (directly under the room with the camera upstairs) the signal was terrible. The colour disappeared and there were lots of lines on the tv. Not worth a w**k in my opinion!No way is the range anyway near 100m. 3-4 metres max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

got one this morning and set it up to cover the front door and the car in the drive way.works fine for want i want it for,i have it set up on a old dvr which records about 12 hours at a time,its not a great quality picture but i was not expecting one for €60 euro.The picture does start to distort around the 40-50 meter range.it was my first time setting up any kind of cctv and found it quiet straight forward,but i would love to get a proper system with a new dvr recorder and 4 cameras anybody know how much a system would cost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Expect to pay €1200 upwards for a decent 4 camera system installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

KoolKid wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that much,i will be waiting a while so:(

You get what you pay for.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Not true in my experience.

I bought an avtech dvr and 4 cameras, similar set up as this..
    http://www.sctltd.co.uk/acatalog/CCTV_systems_DVR04SYS4.html

Bought mine in Bangkok for about 250 all in, installed myself ( easy)

You will get similar system here for about 400.

I see my definition of decent & yours would be different,
    USB DVR . No CD/DVR Rewriter
    I don't see any indication of recording frame rates, so I would presume poor.
    And 420tvl is very poor quality by todays standards of 580 - 600+ tvl
    Like I said, you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Ok, well, I'm not sure if the spec on mine, but it is decent quality , records to the hard drive 24/7 and basically is perfect for the majority of people that want a no frills cctv system . Yes it doesn't have a cd drive but I have no need, the hard drive is fine for me, I could have got one with cd drive for about 50 extra, certainly no need fine spending up around the grand mark for a home system IMO

You are not comparing like with like. I gave a rough price for a decent system including installation, You are comparing that to a DIY system of a much lower spec.
    No DVD writer included
    No Monitor included
    lower quality cameras
    Any back up UPS?
    Your not even sure of the specs
    And the most important one.. Does it have digital watermarking?

If we are comparing like with like on that standard, Then there is no need to pay more than €200 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Not true in my experience.

I bought an avtech dvr and 4 cameras, similar set up as this..
    http://www.sctltd.co.uk/acatalog/CCTV_systems_DVR04SYS4.html

Bought mine in Bangkok for about 250 all in, installed myself ( easy)

You will get similar system here for about 400.
    I came across one of these a few years ago, has a removable remote/front panel thing going on.
    It ended up in the (wee) skip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

For 1200 you wont get decent full 4 cams quality system(correct cameras in each zone to watch, monitor,UPS and so on). It'll be good with some drawbacks compared to professional systems and will suit for domestic use.
    Hmm system for 400 euro?? Try some playback and see :D is it crap??
    What's the point from live view when you don't sit and look 24/7 in the monitor??
    Quality cctv system means not only how picture looks. There is more to this like HDD (higher grade than usual consumer stuff), build quality for the cameras and DVR, cables, Installation (most of us just forget about that).

Why we find that production server machines are 10x more expensive than consumer PC :D. Even Hard drive for the data server is few times more expensive then usual HDD. Well most of us want this kind of systems to be up&running 24/7.

skar wrote: »
    For 1200 you wont get decent full 4 cams quality system(correct cameras in each zone to watch, monitor,UPS and so on).

4 Channel DVR 100fps
    4 x ICR-300H2-600TVL - 600TVL Day/Night 4-9mm VF Dome (Black)
    UPS-600VA - 600VA UPS Battery Backup with surge protection.
    17" TFT Monitor

I would call that a decent system.

It's alright biggrin.gif just joking
    if we don't need/use descent night vision, watch 50x50m back yard, white balance, back light, noise reduction, gain control, power supplies, cables, connectors, safe... :rolleyes:
    what we have here... plain system around the house when we don't know conditions that cameras will face.

For a domestic application, what I listed, is a decent spec.
    If the customer wants good images in a bad location then something more would obviously be required.

sure it is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just to mix things up:D

I bought one for 20 euro on ebay, wired camera etc. Just for the mothers house so she can see if the door is worth answering or not, that is about all these are good for IMHO, but if that's all you want then they are the right job, flick the TV over to the channel for 10 secs then back to the TV etc no set up, they are no good for recorded footage though, just for mammies.

I put one up with a friend last year for his mother, for similar reasons, saves her going out to the door, but proper CCTV cameras and recording equipment with reliable response is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nirvana999

Kool,

would you reckon that the swann system is decent? Im looking for something that I can view remotely (from USA), that will only record when activity occurs (otherwise rewrites) and that would reboot automatically in the event of power outtage or internet down time.

• Advertisement

Swann are not great.
    All the features you are looking for are standard on a lot of machines.
    Shop around some of the suppliers in the sticky. You will get much better value for your money.
    EyeSpy in Ballymount would have a lot of what your looking for. Ken in there would be a good man to look after you.

Advertisement