Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light stays on

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have two lights in a hall, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both lights are looped together and should switch on / off. The light switches upstairs & downstairs switches the light upstairs on and off perfectly, but the light downstairs is on permanently and the switches don't turn it off.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here, or has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi Guys

I have two lights in a hall, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both lights are looped together and should switch on / off. The light switches upstairs & downstairs switches the light upstairs on and off perfectly, but the light downstairs is on permanently and the switches don't turn it off.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here, or has anyone any ideas?

Can you draw up the circuit you have with MS Paint so we can see?

What way do you want the system to work? Eg both lights come on together and can be switched by the switch down stairs or upstairs?

When you say "Both lights are looped together and should switch on / off." What do you mean? Clearly both lights aren't connected together.

The light down-stairs is receiving permanent power from some where, my guess would be its getting permanent power from the switch in the hall.

You need to stop the light in the hall getting permanent power. Then connect the live from the light downstairs to the live going to the light upstairs. If this is a typically 3 Bed house, you'll have to run an extra length of 1.5mm brown either between the 2 lights, or at the very least between the 2 switch points and make suitable connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Check that the switch wire from the switch to the light fitting is not wired into the supply (com) contact of the switch along with the permanent live to the switch.

Thats the only thing I can think of at the moment...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Have you replaced switches lately
    Have you fitted light fittings lately
    Some light points have a permanent live at them
    Check that you havnt inadvertently connected light fitting into this connection
    Turn power off for safety while working on electrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like you have replaced or done something with a switch alright, and mixed up the hall light switch wire in with the switch feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks for the help guys, I got it licked.

House was flood damaged so the consumer unit and all electrical switches and accessories were replaced

Turns out, there are two lights in the hall downstairs controlled by two switches, and one light upstairs controlled by two switches. My initial thought was the upstairs and one of the downstairs lights were on the same switches, but it wasn't. This led to my initial confusion

What actually happened was, on the ceiling rose on one of the hall lights the supply to the second light was in the loop and not the switch side of the live, so it got permanent power. Changed it to the switch side and all was hunky diddley dory again.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement