Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jDome

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

This thing is fúcking unreal.. so simple and so much awesome!!!

Can you imagine this thing coupled with the move or Kinect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Video is 18 mths old, how come we never heard of it since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't know, the video pre-dates the kinect and move so it's no wonder they weren't showcased in the video

I'll email the designer and see whats the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Only 25 units made??

Looking at it tho, I dont think it would be too difficult to make something similar.
    At this time (2005) I frequented the local OmnImax-theater, Cosmonova, and I thought - it´s like being here - in the world - which was currently shown. How about if I tried this at home with a smaller domed screen in front of my projector on a game? I also knew I could enlarge the Field of View in most games in order to show more of the world of the game.

But would it work, without any special lenses or in-game calculations to correct the perspective? Only way to find out was to build some sort of proof-of-concept prototype. So I made a simple wire-frame and scotch-taped numerus badly cut letter-sized papers onto it. I fired up Doom 3 with my projector and was suddenly inside...

Bit of sellotape and some cheap paper should do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yeah, at €2500 a pop :eek:

I'm deffo gonna make one when I go down home, I have all the materiels there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Tallon wrote: »
    Yeah, at €2500 a pop :eek:

I'm deffo gonna make one when I go down home, I have all the materiels there :)

If I was only making 25 of the coolest home IMAX projector screens, Id be charging that as well :D

Might have a crack at it tomorrow, ill let you know how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I am skeptical. You do not see to gain anything from it as you are only seeing what the game displays as a rectangle stretched/warped into a sphere.
    It also seems to have many flaws. The fact that it requires a large space and a projector is a big one. And the fact that multiple users cannot use it at the same time, in the way that a tv can for split screen.

Sorry, but I will pass.

Advertisement