Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Paudie_Gtst

edit: also, on a side-note, it's possibly worth a mention that with third party extension, your OWN car that is insured cannot be being driven at the same time. An example being, you and your mate cannot jump into eachothers cars for a bit...

So when I drive the skyline, the car that I am currently insured on is not insured? or that nobody is entitled to drive it with their open drive policy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So when I drive the skyline, the car that I am currently insured on is not insured? or that nobody is entitled to drive it with their open drive policy?

Not insured on your policy at all imo

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yep.
    But if they have another car it may cost a fair few €€€s.

Yeah they have another car 750 to be insured for the year with their no claims bonus not accounted for

Your own car will still be insured. It would only get potentially sh1tty if you were driving the Slyline and the "owner" of the Slyline were driving your car under their 3rd party extension and ye crashed into each other :pac:

Stheno wrote: »
    Not insured on your policy at all imo

So the minute I sit into the skyline, my other car is parked illegally not insured?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your own car will still be insured. It would only get potentially sh1tty if you were driving the Slyline and the "owner" of the Slyline were driving your car under their 3rd party extension and ye crashed into each other :pac:

Is there not an exclusion clause which will only cover one car/claim under the policy at the time/date? That's what I was thinking from reading mine when I renewed, I can open drive whatever, but will abdicate the insurance on mine if I do.

So the minute I sit into the skyline, my other car is parked illegally not insured?

Well it's not insured unless you are driving it as per the parking facts, you are ok on private property

I'm getting a terrible sense of forboding that you are planning on having a rip roaring time in that Skyline!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's usually a condition of TPE that your own car can't be on the roads at the same time...

Your own car will still be insured, but cannot be driven due to third party extension clauses

It's usually a condition of TPE that your own car can't be on the roads at the same time...

So once you don't smack into it in the other yoke or have crashes the same time everyone is happy ;)

So once you don't smack into it in the other yoke or have crashes the same time everyone is happy ;)

True, but would you want to take that chance? Just admit to a brain fart! :D

Technically the driver of the OP's car would be better off at any checkpoint tho!

• Advertisement

True, but would you want to take that chance? Just admit to a brain fart! :D

Technically the driver of the OP's car would be better off at any checkpoint tho!

I have never encountered the clause where my car can't be driven while I am off driving someone else's to be honest. I would think it only applies to comprehensive policies, which I don't have :)

Well it's not insured unless you are driving it as per the parking facts, you are ok on private property

So if I am driving the skyline, does that mean that the car that I am insured on is uninsured/Park illegally uninsured?

I have never encountered the clause where my car can't be driven while I am off driving someone else's to be honest. I would think it only applies to comprehensive policies, which I don't have :)

My policy is fully comp, it's about a tenner more expensive than tfp&t (well the difference is negligable) which explains that!
    So if I am driving the skyline, does that mean that the car that I am insured on is uninsured/Park illegally uninsured?

If you have a Third Party Exclusion on your policy, and you are driving the Third Party i.e. the Skyline car, then your car will be insured where it is parked, but not whilst driving on the road, as TPE means that only one vehicle can be driven and be covered by the policy at any one time.

My policy is fully comp, it's about a tenner more expensive than tfp&t (well the difference is negligable) which explains that!

If you have a Third Party Exclusion on your policy, and you are driving the Third Party i.e. the Skyline car, then your car will be insured where it is parked, but not whilst driving on the road, as TPE means that only one vehicle can be driven and be covered by the policy at any one time.

Whoever is driving the car will have their own insurance but the car itself won't be covered.

Comp always seemed to be about 20% dearer for me, I only drive cheap yokes so see it as a pure waste as I wouldn't see myself availing of the pros.

I see, so that means the car I am currently insured on (Peugeot) is still covered when parked while I drive the skyline, and it would be an insurance clause if I were to crash into the Peugeot with the skyline?

I see, so that means the car I am currently insured on (Peugeot) is still covered when parked while I drive the skyline, and it would be an insurance clause if I were to crash into the Peugeot with the skyline?

Yes if you have a policy like mine which has a TPE. In that instance, you'd have no cover on either car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Basically the Pug is grand so long as it's parked, not being driven...

In the end though, you'll be better off just insuring the skyline... If you're having trouble getting the skyline insured, head over to skylineownersforum and theres plenty of people with skylines insured with Quinn who will happily give you their policy numbers to quote back at Quinn when they say "We don't insure these vehicles"

Whoever is driving the car will have their own insurance but the car itself won't be covered.

Comp always seemed to be about 20% dearer for me, I only drive cheap yokes so see it as a pure waste as I wouldn't see myself availing of the pros.

I drive a cheap yoke, but benefit from the woman clause :D (sorry, not being smart, adding me to the bf's policy reduces his, adding him to mine increases it!)

It was the car cover I was thinking of the driver should be covered under third party for their actions, but with TPE on mine, my understanding is that if you were unfortunate enough to be caught with both cars on the road and in a crash you'll invalidate the insurance.

Completely O/T I was thinking the other day after a chat with my mechanic who was fixing up some fancy 08/09 cars about getting a car that was less than 7 years old. I'm not sure I could cope with all the fancy smancy *has to be fixed in a main dealers* stuff new cars have, I reckon it shall be older, well proven, and most problems ironed out cars for me for most of my life :)

Basically the Pug is grand so long as it's parked, not being driven...

In the end though, you'll be better off just insuring the skyline... If you're having trouble getting the skyline insured, head over to skylineownersforum and theres plenty of people with skylines insured with Quinn who will happily give you their policy numbers to quote back at Quinn when they say "We don't insure these vehicles"

From other posts on here it might be worth trying chill.ie as well (Not sure about age restrictions)

I agree with challengemaster that you should take the action above, at the very least, if you hit a checkpoint you'll get through it far more easily, you've a full licence, 3 years NCB etc, at your age paying up and building up an NCB on a higher spec car than normal will only stand to you insurance wise imo. Sucks financially, but you just have to deal with it one way or another,and imo the legal route is the best.

Thank you everyone for all of the positive and constructive comments on this thread it has given me a clearer view on how to go about insuring this car

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi,
    I have recently bought an R32 Nissan Skyline, I am 21 and I am not a boy racer nor do I speed, I always obey the rules of the road, I am not driving the car it is parked at my garage and has 6 months tax and 2 years NCT, I have 3 years no claims bonus and I have 0 penalty points.

I have phoned Quinn direct they have told me that I can insure another car and drive this car as long as it has Valid tax and NCT and that car does not need to be insured by another party, the car must not be in my name and can only be driven with the owners consent. they also told me there is no restrictions on the car (Market price, High Litre, how many miles it can be driven per week) to be covered, Is there any holes in this method That I am missing?

Please let me know

I am currently NOT driving this car
    Any negative assumptions WILL be ignored

Thank you

If I could have the owner of the car to insure the skyline themselves would this bypass the illegally parked car issue?

You are the owner of the Skyline, the name on the VLC isn't necessarily the owner as you've paid out for it.

You can't use the TPE as it's only for vehicles you don't own or have an interest in. Also if something bad does happen Quinn won't be shy enquiring about which car you drive and how it's "insured".
    Thank you everyone for all of the positive and constructive comments on this thread it has given me a clearer view on how to go about insuring this car

Thank you

Advertisement