Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial connection for Icom IC-M71

• 21-01-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I would get a connector or adaptor online so that I can take the stock aerial off the Icom IC-M71 VHF radio and use an aerial I have in the attic?

Its on a length of wire but the connector on the cable wont suit the radio. I've asked in local radio/electronics shops but seemingly they're impossible to get.

144470.JPG144471.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Fantastic.. Thanks a lot!!

As an alternative, What would I be after if I was to clip the connector off the aerial and get a connector that fitted directly to the radio?

It's an SMA plug (male)

....but..

Generally you need to have a special crimping tool and possibly the coax from your aerial might not be the correct size for the plug.

That adaptor will give you more flexibility

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know where I would get a connector or adaptor online so that I can take the stock aerial off the Icom IC-M71 VHF radio and use an aerial I have in the attic?

looks like this might do you too ???

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01978/adaptor-uhf-s-to-sma-p/dp/AV15526

and while yer at it...

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01974/adaptor-bnc-s-to-sma-p/dp/AV15522

or

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01673/adaptor-bnc-to-uhf/dp/AV15221

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It's an SMA plug (male)

....but..

Generally you need to have a special crimping tool and possibly the coax from your aerial might not be the correct size for the plug.

That adaptor will give you more flexibility

Just wondering.. Its a VHF radio.. will that connector being UHF cause any hassle?

• Advertisement

No...UHF is just an old name given to that type of connector decades ago, it's almost never actually used for UHF.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's actually a connector only good to about 170MHz. When the PL259 (aka UHF plug) was invented they regarded 300MHz as the top of UHF, and over 100MHz was UHF!

The TV plug (Belling lee) is also very poor for UHF, as it was invented for 500KHz to 30MHz MF/SW radio!

TV in UK when started was only at 45MHz. Most TV wall plates are based on Band I 1950s designs.

Good UHF connectors are BNC, SMA, N-Type, TNC, FME, F-Type These all work to 3GHz. "good" SMA work to over 22GHz.

FME is a 50 Ohm connector with pin similar to 75 Ohm F-Type (which uses solif coax core as pin)
    BNC and N-Type come in 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm versions. (inner pin differs in size)
    TNC is screw on version of BNC
    N-Type is inner of BNC with larger separated outer screw on cover to make electrical and mechanical connection separate.

S0238/PL259 is LF to VHF and has even been used for Composite video.
    75 Ohm version BNC is also used for Composite, RGB and Component Video from TV to Ultra HD.
    75 Ohm N-Type mostly only used for Cable TV trunks. 50 Ohm for aerials.
    Musa is 75 Ohm jack version of BNC (no screw or bayonet lock) used mostly for video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

watty wrote: »
    It's actually a connector only good to about 170MHz. When the PL259 (aka UHF plug) was invented they regarded 300MHz as the top of UHF, and over 100MHz was UHF!

The TV plug (Belling lee) is also very poor for UHF, as it was invented for 500KHz to 30MHz MF/SW radio!

TV in UK when started was only at 45MHz. Most TV wall plates are based on Band I 1950s designs.

Good UHF connectors are BNC, SMA, N-Type, TNC, FME, F-Type These all work to 3GHz. "good" SMA work to over 22GHz.

FME is a 50 Ohm connector with pin similar to 75 Ohm F-Type (which uses solif coax core as pin)
    BNC and N-Type come in 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm versions. (inner pin differs in size)
    TNC is screw on version of BNC
    N-Type is inner of BNC with larger separated outer screw on cover to make electrical and mechanical connection separate.

S0238/PL259 is LF to VHF and has even been used for Composite video.
    75 Ohm version BNC is also used for Composite, RGB and Component Video from TV to Ultra HD.
    75 Ohm N-Type mostly only used for Cable TV trunks. 50 Ohm for aerials.
    Musa is 75 Ohm jack version of BNC (no screw or bayonet lock) used mostly for video.
    Watty, why can't you just answer the question asked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't get charged for using up paper and ink here.

Maybe someone might like to know more.

Advertisement