Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to stop text dialing service?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I heard from 2 sources that Eircom were putting an end to the text dialer, is this true?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Did you hear this directly from Eircom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

altor wrote: »
    Did you hear this directly from Eircom ?

No, alarm installers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I get the impression that the landline sms service has largely been a bit of a flop. Do you know anyone who texts from their landline??

Alarm installers were a little silly to become so reliant on what is a rather obscure supplementary landline service. It doesn't work on upc, smart telecom, magnet or any non eircom lines.

There is nothing to stop someone setting up their own sms service thoufh. They just use modems and caller ID to process the texts. They're not actually built into the PSTN network itself.

All that being said, I haven't seen anything official from eircom saying that they're about to end the service. It could just be a rumor.

Can these diallers not use real sms over GSM / UMTS.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its obvious SMS via landlines has not taken off in the way they expected.
    I am going to post up the question on the Eircom forum and see what they say.

persie11 wrote: »
    No, alarm installers.

There is always talk of this. I think Cadzer said they would have to give 2 years notice to there customers if this was to be the case. Something to do with COMREG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't imagine that landline SMS is particularly expensive to provide as it's just a single box of tricks somewhere, rather than something that needs to be installed in every exchange. It just uses a bit of clever trickery with Caller ID to process the SMS messages.

When you send an SMS to a landline, the network rings the number and connects by pretty simple modem. The phone has a pre-programmed message centre number, so when it sees that caller ID, it answers immediately (and in most cases the phone will suppress the ring i.e. not ring itself if it sees that number)

Sending an SMS is simply done by dialing a specific number and connecting by modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Due to the unreliability of sms servers in the UK some manufacturers have set up their own servers, same could happen here.
    Or manufacturers the irish manufacturers could change the panel settings to allow the panel to connect to any sms server, not just eircom

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Reply from Eircom:
    We are not aware of this service being discontinued,we have had no official word on this. I will try to get information on this

Eleanor

Good to see you got a reply koolkid. Looks like it wont be any time soon they will stop this service.

Hopefully not.
    Lets see if she comes back with anything wlse.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see if she does.

Advertisement