Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new to Sky

• 21-01-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

hi, ordered a Sky with multiroom viewing.

I have only one active telephone socket, and thats in my bedroom. I assume that both boxes needed to be connected to the phoneline?
    Can i just buy an extension cord, and pull that from my bedroom to livingroom area where the another box is going to be? Would that work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

you only need the multiroom extra box connected to the phone line. dont worry about the main box that doesnt have to be connected. its only the second one as they check that its connected to the right address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

you only need the multiroom extra box connected to the phone line. dont worry about the main box that doesnt have to be connected. its only the second one as they check that its connected to the right address.

That's totally wrong, BOTH boxes need to be connected. The installer will run a new cable from your existing phone point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

No it's right. My Sky box was only every connected to a phone line on the day that it was installed and hasn't been connected since.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

Both should be connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

We're talking about multiroom here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The multiroom box needs to be connected to phoneline,not both.Sky want to keep track of the second box to ensure it remains at the address its registered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 The Donegal Man

zerks wrote: »
    The multiroom box needs to be connected to phoneline,not both.Sky want to keep track of the second box to ensure it remains at the address its registered to.

I'm totally confused here guys! :eek:

I got a new sky box yesterday and got another one for multi room. I already have a phone line running through to living room from my old sky HD box. The guy who put it in didnt connect any of the phone line's.

As I said in another thread, he said it was in case lightning hit the phone line and went down it and cause a fire/damage that sky wouldn't stand over it. :confused:

Now to be fair, a bolt of lightning did hit the point of the phone line pole in front of our house and blew my neighbours phone but we know it doesnt strike twice :o

Instead the give me a long phone line to connect to the multi room box that I have in the kitchen. The cable come from the phone line through the attic and into the living room remains unplugged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

thanks for the answers, really helpfull.

One more question ab. the installation.How it will be done in practise, my bedroom is the same side of the house, where the satellite dish is going to be installed, so they just drill a hole to the wall?
    How ab. the livingroom area in 1st floor, the telly is the opposite of the house, do they drill a hole in the 1st floor wall also, or route the cable via 2nd floor etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

A friend of mine has three Sky boxes in his house, 1 HD, 1 Sky+ and one regular box and NONE are connected via phone line and haven't been for years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

A friend of mine has three Sky boxes in his house, 1 HD, 1 Sky+ and one regular box and NONE are connected via phone line and haven't been for years?

I can't understand that - unless only ONE of them has a subscription. i.e. No Multiroom.

My main box had its 142 * telephone prefix number deleted by mistake and, even though BOTH HD boxes were connected to the phone line, I got a threatening letter from Sky stating that if the "missing" box wasn't reconnected ASAP, they'd charge me TWO FULL SUBSCRIPTIONS !!!

--- This was a few years ago but I can't imagine their policy has changed . . .
    * 142 prefix used to unblock the phone number so it doesn't show as "withheld"

gtg60 wrote: »
    That's totally wrong, BOTH boxes need to be connected. The installer will run a new cable from your existing phone point.
    its right. you dont need the main box connected. sky say you do but who listens to sky. mine has never been connected.

its right. you dont need the main box connected. sky say you do but who listens to sky. mine has never been connected.

That doesn't make what you say right!
    From the Sky Ireland website
    Each box you have must be connected to the same fixed telephone line at all times.

I had Multiroom a few years back and got the same threatening letters as Dave_Dublin when either of the boxes were disconnected (did take a few months each time though), either way, those are the rules.

well i have been with sky for 14 years and never had anything connected to the phone line. even when the guy installed the HD box last year he put in a phone line and i told him as soon as he leaves the house its coming out.
    you do need your multiroom box connected as sky dials this box to make sure its at the correct address. they will never need to call you main box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Its all rubbish anyways you dont "need" a phone line at all. Its just an extra way of keeping tabs on you if you do have one. Sky will still gladly take your hard earned money if you are not a landline holder.

Read the thread properly people, this conversation is about Multiroom and phonelines.

Sky will not let you have Multiroom without BOTH boxes being connected to the phoneline. Simply put this is to ensure you and your mate don't split a sub and therefore loose them money.

Just because some people get away with not having one or both boxes connected is irrelevant, those are the rules and plenty of people (myself included) have gotten hassle over not keeping them both connected, some have even been charged 2 full subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's the multiroom box that they want to keep tabs on due to it having the reduced sub-ie. main box is a minimum of €23 p.m where multiroom is a minimum of €10 to €15 p.m depending on new/existing customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I thought multiroom is €15 per box no matter how expensive your main sub?

watty wrote: »

zerks is refering to the current 'new' subscribers deal of Multiroom for €10 a month for 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

zerks wrote: »
    It's the multiroom box that they want to keep tabs on due to it having the reduced sub-ie. main box is a minimum of €23 p.m where multiroom is a minimum of €10 to €15 p.m depending on new/existing customer.
    No, it's all boxes. Its in the terms and conditions for multiroom. If it was only the multiroom box, then you could just hand your mate the "main" box and leave the "multiroom" box in your house :confused:

Some people claim to get away with it. I know my parents got two of these letters threatening to charge seperate subscriptions for each box about two years ago when building work was going on in the house and the multiroom box was completely disconnected from mains power for about two months.
    watty wrote:
    €10pm for first twelve months for new subscribers who join sky with multiroom.
    €15pm after twelve months, or for existing customers who add multiroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

. . . you do need your multiroom box connected as sky dials this box to make sure its at the correct address. they will never need to call you main box.

My online phone bill shows TWO 1-800- calls every month at around 5:00 in the morning on different days.

BOTH boxes call sky every month to "check-in" -- it shows Sky that both are connected to THE SAME phone line and it also tells them if you've ordered any Box Office programming since the last check-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Single box sky install
    For a sky standard, sky+ or Sky HD standalone install a phone line is not necessary
    In theory, Sky charge a €37.50 'No phone line fee' which is payable on the day of booking from Sky direct or on the day of installing if you are using a local agent.
    Sky regularly run special offers where they waive this fee
    If you are using a local agent he can normally turn on the sky card in his worshop using his own phone line. Most installers will not charge for this service.
    Multi Room Install

• The Rule: Sky do insist that when 2 or more boxes are installed they all need to be connected to the phone line
    • Why do they have this rule cscart_ To prevent customers subscribing to a sky multi-room deal and then installing the extra boxes in the homes of family and friends. This would be a great money saving idea for the customers be would be a very bad idea from sky's perspective.
    • How do they enforce the rule ? Once every 4 weeks or so, sky send a signal via the satellite dish to request that each of the multi-room sky boxes phone back to sky. If the call back on one or all of the boxes fails sky will repeat the process but after a 3 month period they will simply assume that the extra sky box has been installed in some one else's home and will charge each of the boxes at the full price.
    • Are sky allowed to do this ? Yes. It's in the contract as part of the terms and conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

I can't understand that - unless only ONE of them has a subscription. i.e. No Multiroom.

Sky World HD Sub plus 15euro p/m multiroom for the last 18 months he confirms. Strange how they leave some away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

I have Sky + in my Sitting room and normal box in another room with multi room. We have had sky for over 12 years and have no phone line in the house. No box needs to be connected. They do insist when setting up with them but nothing comes from it. As i wasn't going to spend an extra €140 getting the phone line into the house for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've had multiroom for years, and neither box has ever been plugged into the phoneline. The engineer had both connected to the phoneline, but as soon as he left, both were disconnected. Never heard so much as a peep from Sky.

Advertisement