Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie hotdogs

Options
  • 21-01-2011 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I used to eat the Tesco Meat-Free range of vegetarian hotdogs, but they've stopped stocking them in my local Tesco, along with all the rest of their Meat-Free range, and I haven't seen them in any other store since.

Is there any Tesco in the Dublin/South Dublin area that still stocks them? Or, failing that, is there any other brand of veggie hotdogs of similar quality?

I never liked any of the veggie sausages, but I thought the Tesco hotdogs were delicious.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

tesco seem to make a habit of running out of veggie stuff. they havent stocked their veggie burgers in my local in the past 3 months! the salt and vinegar rice cakes were completely removed from the shelf a year ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i miss the hotdogs, they are amazing. Haven't seen any in a couple of years, maybe the frys ones are still around but they are so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

paky wrote: »
    the salt and vinegar rice cakes were completely removed from the shelf a year ago!

Ah no, my work colleague eats them for lunch quite often. They are aimed at people on diets, but they are still around! Maybe reduced salt etc.

RNL. - Have you tried the Fry's hotdogs? (Freezer section I think) At least I think they have them in the range...

Ah no, my work colleague eats them for lunch quite often. They are aimed at people on diets, but they are still around! Maybe reduced salt etc.

i said my local. i know there still around but only selected tescos have them
    RNL. - Have you tried the Fry's hotdogs? (Freezer section I think) At least I think they have them in the range...

where can i find them?

paky wrote: »
    where can i find them?

Nourish on Wicklow St has a good range of Fry's products. Some of The Health Store branches also have a large freezer section. Maybe give the shops a ring? With a quick google it seems Nourish have a small piece about them on their website :D

• Advertisement

Nourish on Wicklow St has a good range of Fry's products. Some of The Health Store branches also have a large freezer section. Maybe give the shops a ring? With a quick google it seems Nourish have a small piece about them on their website :D

nourish aye? must pay it a visit next weekend. im still only getten familiar with the health shops in dub. i was in the one in henry street arcade b4 christmas and got southern fried chicken lol it was the closest thing i ever tasted to the real think. it was amazing

Ohhh never tried the souther fried chicken. I can't imagine! But yeah, the Wicklow St store is much bigger than the Henry St one.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

Hi,
    I would suggest using Tesco's comments website like I have done, to no avail so far, to request info on their dwindling veggie range. Seems if you don't eat Quorn or the current other alternative, mashed up veg burgers (yuck) you can whistle in the wind while waiting for them to sell you something. Tesco were supposed to be introducing a whole new meat free farge last year, they had the freezer space marked out but the products never arrived. When I rang them the said the range was delayed due to production problems with the supplier. The range has never materialized and the freezer space long taken over by the creeping mould of Quorn.

About 2 years ago you could get a much better range of QF soya protein products, both Tesco and Dunnes did their own brand of veggie burgers, which were really good quality and excellent value. Now it seems you can only get such items in the overpriced shelves of the Health shop freezer.

As I said in my latest missive to Tesco comments site, I would be better trundling up the motorway to Sainsburys every month or so to stock up, at least I would be able to get what I wanted to purchase up there. Funnily enough, they haven't replied to that one..

Farge = range, getting dyslexic in my old age :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

IndigoBlue wrote: »
    As I said in my latest missive to Tesco comments site, I would be better trundling up the motorway to Sainsburys every month or so to stock up, at least I would be able to get what I wanted to purchase up there. Funnily enough, they haven't replied to that one..

ASDA is even better. Just for info like.

• Advertisement

I can barely find Sainsbury's! :confused:

But seriously, I do think it's ridiculous that you can't buy stuff like that here without paying a hefty mark up in the health food shops.
    I've spoken to Dunnes and Tesco more than once but they don't seem interested. Instead of things improving here as time goes on, supply gets worse. Of course Tesco have introduced a line of ready MEALS featuring soy/wheat protein in their chilled section. I think the supermarkets want us all to be unable to cook for ourselves eventually and rely on them for our every meal. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I can barely find Sainsbury's! :confused:

But seriously, I do think it's ridiculous that you can't buy stuff like that here without paying a hefty mark up in the health food shops.
    I've spoken to Dunnes and Tesco more than once but they don't seem interested. Instead of things improving here as time goes on, supply gets worse. Of course Tesco have introduced a line of ready MEALS featuring soy/wheat protein in their chilled section. I think the supermarkets want us all to be unable to cook for ourselves eventually and rely on them for our every meal. :mad:

I miss them too. What email addresses do you use for Tesco and Dunnes - maybe we should all email them? Can't do any harm.

I used the tescocomments.com site, there's also tesco.ie where you can fill in a form, or call them. Dunnes, I just rang head office in Stephen street, D2 and spoke to somone in there. Tesco did ring me back but really I'm just a voice in the wilderness, all these products are being withdrawn or not restocked from perceived lack of demand, if everyone was as annoying as me the supermarkets might think differently.

If you look at it from their perspective, they withdraw them as the market is small and they are not shifting enough, ir their margins are not high enough on these goods, but nobody complains, so they are justified in not stocking them as nobody bemoans their withdrawal.

So complain, complain, and complain again! And then give them some hell too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Iceland have a good range of vegetarian grub. Try the one in the Ilac Centre or Ballyfermot.

Is the stuff in Iceland range kind of vegetable burgers, i.e. beanburgers, mashed up veg etc? I haven't been to the one in the Ilac or Ballyfermot but did visit the one in Finglas and don't remember what they had but I didn't buy anything and I definitely would have if they had been anything in the soya category there.

Really don't like those frozen beanburger type things, almost as grotty as quorn

i think that a lot of the reason why tesco fail to re stock their veggie foods is because they do a lot of damage to the mainstream brands such as birds eye. maybe theres some dealings going on behind the scenes that we dont know of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Just for info - The Health Store have a brand called "Vegetarian Choice" that do burgers, sausages, etc. The burgers are €1.49 for 4, I can't remember the other prices but they are cheap. They aren't the greatest things ever but they aren't too bad either.

I'm sure there's lots of skullduggery going on in the retail world for sure! It's possible if an own range could damage relations with chief suppliers but that doesn't seem to stop Tesco having own ranges in lots of other very competitive fields. As far as I know, Bird's Eye don't supply a soya/wheat protein burger or sausages etc, or I would simply have bought that instead! It's not like I'm carrying a torch for Tesco...own brand do tend to be cheaper.
    I think their last range were made by Tivall for them, the swedish-style meat(less) balls were anyway, as I saw their name on the back of the pack in very small writing!

I've had the Fry's burgers, weren't my favourite, the Linda McCartney ones are not bad at all, though they do tend to stick to the George Foreman! Just what gets me is that there's no real reason that I can see other than 'can't be arsed', why they can't stock a small, frozen range of veggie products other than Quorn that I could buy while getting my weekly shop. They are more than happy to stuff their freezers with Quorn. Don't know about others but munching on 'venomous mould' (from the Latin Fusarium Venenatum) is not my cup of tea. Or broth. Or whatever.

And why advertise freezer space for a whole range of products that never appeared....Of course, I get whatever I can at the health food stores, tg for them or I really would be driving up to Sainsburys every week!
    Also the fact that until a year ago or so Tesco stocked a whole range! Are they trying to say there are now LESS vegetarians?? Possibly. Maybe they're died out from protein deprivation. :eek:

i find qourn to be an offensive 'vegetarian' product since its products are made from chickens embryos. it discusts me

Unless you're a vegan, most ppl wouldn't mind the egg white content, it's the 'mould' that gets me. They keep trying to pass it off as a fungi but it's a mould! Nevermind that it's highly processed in giant vats. :eek: Sounds more like a science experiment than food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Molds are a type of fungus; as are mushrooms (or more correctly, part of a fungus).

My favourite meat replacers are the Granose range. They come in powder form to which you add water and shape into burgers, sausages or whatever. You can get them in health food shops and are cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 babouska

Anyone who really misses hotdogs try Tivall hotdogs. I've been vegetarian 22 years and try everything, these guys blow Frys out of the water for taste, they are super. Hard to find, though good health food stores should have them, for anyone around Galway Evergreens stock this range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Unless you're a vegan, most ppl wouldn't mind the egg white content, it's the 'mould' that gets me. They keep trying to pass it off as a fungi but it's a mould! Nevermind that it's highly processed in giant vats. :eek: Sounds more like a science experiment than food.

You're one of those people who find brie, camembert and any kind of blue cheese disgusting because of the mould on it, right?
    Mould is a fungus. And mushrooms are a fungus.

If you don't like Quorn, fair enough, that's up to you, but to pretend it's somehow unhealthy because of what it's made from is taking it a little too far.

babouska wrote: »
    Anyone who really misses hotdogs try Tivall hotdogs. I've been vegetarian 22 years and try everything, these guys blow Frys out of the water for taste, they are super. Hard to find, though good health food stores should have them, for anyone around Galway Evergreens stock this range.

The Quay Coop in Cork stocks them too, but you need a bit of luck as they seem to sell faster than they re-stock sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Shenshen wrote: »
    The Quay Coop in Cork stocks them too, but you need a bit of luck as they seem to sell faster than they re-stock sometimes.

I've never actually been into the shop, just to the restaurant upstairs.. do they have a good selection in there?.. and what are the prices like?

MissRetro wrote: »
    I've never actually been into the shop, just to the restaurant upstairs.. do they have a good selection in there?.. and what are the prices like?

I'd say they've got a pretty good selection, given their size.
    They aren't exactly cheap, but then, which health food shop is? They're about average as these shops go, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd say they've got a pretty good selection, given their size.
    They aren't exactly cheap, but then, which health food shop is? They're about average as these shops go, I think.

Thanks! :) I'll pop in for a look next time I'm in town.

Advertisement