Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amp and speakers compatibility

• 21-01-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello , I just have a quick question.
    I have Sony STRDB940 amp and need speakers for it. I could pick up set of speakers on adverts http://www.adverts.ie/409843 but I'm not sure will they work properly with this amp because my mate mentioned that rating of the speakers is less than 6ohms and it would not be worth the risk. What type of risk, killing the amp???
    Amp has a 4-8 ohm switch but I think speakers are 3 ohms.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

your amp would be wasted on those speakers they are designed for the puny built in amp you would be better off buying some decent system from B&W kef etc i know they are very expensive but secondhand might be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

No , those speakers were only ever intended for the package they came with and should never be sold separately , they most definitely should not be paired with your amp and could well damage it.

3 Ohm impedance ratings are common with all in one packages and should never be connected to an amp that is sold as a separate , like yours. That impedance level is far too low , it will overdrive your amp , at best , your amp will immediately activate its safety feature , you will hear a loud click and get a protected message on the Display , if that protection doesnt click in fast enough , then its goodbye to your amp.

Your amp will work with 4 - 8 Ohms speakers and you should buy speakers that are intended to be sold separately.

You can find speaker packages that work well with your amp from the likes of Richer Sounds , Mordaunt Short , Kef , or Monitor Audio are all good matches for that amp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

Thanks guys for replays.
    Got it sorted. Bought proper speakers, second hand, but at least they have correct impedance to match my amp.
    I learned something as well :)
    Cheers

Advertisement