Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry 8520

Options
  • 21-01-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

need a bit of help here....

currently use my own phone for work and they pay the bill. has been working fine for yrs and I get the benefits every yr of an upgrade and the company pick up the tab.

Boss wants me to get a BB as I'm out of the office a lot and sometimes might not get an email for 2 days so he wants me to have an option of reading more than that.

Company has offered to get me a BB 8520. Options are:

They get me a BB with a new number and pay any costs associated with that and I either close my personal account or keep it up but I would have to bear the cost. Problem with this is if I close my account, I've had this number for 13yrs and don't want to start again

Other option is they port my number into a corporate account and they also pick up the tab but if I ever was to leave the company I would not get the number back.

Have I a 3rd option to get an upgrade of a BB with my existing provider O2?
    They have the same 8520 model as an option when my contract is due for renewal shortly.
    Is it straightforward enough to get a BB from O2 and get it set up for accessing corporate email? DO I need a special package from O2 to allow this?

Or could I just change providers? I'm free to move next month to another if I want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

First off, you dont need to get a blackberry. All phones can send/receive email and instantly if you need be, so dont limit yourself to a blackberry.

If you port your number to their corporate account, and you do quit, you can get the number transferred back to your name. Just fill out a form and it can be released.

My advice would be stay as you are with your number, let them pick up the tab, (get a new handset if need be. What handset have you at the minute?) but just get a data addon so you can have email on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Davy wrote: »
    First off, you dont need to get a blackberry. All phones can send/receive email and instantly if you need be, so dont limit yourself to a blackberry.

If you port your number to their corporate account, and you do quit, you can get the number transferred back to your name. Just fill out a form and it can be released.

My advice would be stay as you are with your number, let them pick up the tab, (get a new handset if need be. What handset have you at the minute?) but just get a data addon so you can have email on.

I have a Nokia 5530. The touch screen I would say wouldnt be great for typing emails, find it tricky enough sometimes texting.

When you say I could get my number back by filling out a form, who would that be? My company or with O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I have a Nokia 5530. The touch screen I would say wouldnt be great for typing emails, find it tricky enough sometimes texting.

When you say I could get my number back by filling out a form, who would that be? My company or with O2?

Get something with a qwerty then, thats what they are designed for. If you have any other likes or dislike, post them and you will get some feedback on what to look for.

The company with get the authorisation form from the network, talk with the person who manges the account

Advertisement