Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc with an ordinary degree?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

I am in my second year of an undergraduate degree. its an honours Degree but I can graduate after 3rd year with an ordinary degree if I like.

There is a master's programme I would like to do and they say they will accept applicants with an ordinary degree if they have relevant work experience, which I have.

I am just wondering if this is a good idea? Im 22 going on 23 at the moment and I would rather just get on the master's programme now rather than waste anymore time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

I think you'd be skipping a step there, an ordinary degree is only a level 7 qualification whereas a MSc is a level 9 so in most instances you would need a level 8 i.e. an honours degree. As you are only 22 I would imagine relevant work experience would be taken into account, mostly the recognition for this is only given after you get your primary degree or after a large chunk of very relevant experience i.e. 5+ years.

I'm open to be corrected on this . . .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Most places say you need 3-5 years work experience if you have a primary degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abtrought

I am in a similar situation - I am just coming to the end of my ordinary degree and I can study a post grad. diploma and then on to a MSc with the Open University (through distance learning). I am undecided whether to do the extra year (full-time) or 2 years (part-time) for my honors degree. I am currently working so it would have to be part-time.

I would have my MSc completed before I would have my Honors degree completed......but anyone have any thoughts as to how perspective employers may view this ?

Advertisement