Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub with Setanta Ireland in Portmarnock

Options
  • 21-01-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

We'll be staying in the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Club on the 12th of February. OH needs to watch the Liverpool v Wigan match which is on Setanta Ireland, can anyone recommend a pub near the hotel (20 minute walk) that might be showing the match?

We where also thinking of going to Tamangos, how is it on a Saturday night? We're both 30+ I think I read somewhere that they still have a slow set... can this be true?!?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Lollymcd wrote: »
    We'll be staying in the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Club on the 12th of February. OH needs to watch the Liverpool v Wigan match which is on Setanta Ireland, can anyone recommend a pub near the hotel (20 minute walk) that might be showing the match?

We where also thinking of going to Tamangos, how is it on a Saturday night? We're both 30+ I think I read somewhere that they still have a slow set... can this be true?!?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help.

If you get a taxi to Malahide they have a few pubs in the village. Id recommened Gibneys, they always show all the football including L'pool and its the most popular place in malahide.

As for Tomangos, avoid the place if you can. Its still open but i think you two would feel slightly out of place because it attracts a really young crowd now, No offense :).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Vanbis wrote: »
    If you get a taxi to Malahide they have a few pubs in the village. Id recommened Gibneys, they always show all the football including L'pool and its the most popular place in malahide.

As for Tomangos, avoid the place if you can. Its still open but i think you two would feel slightly out of place because it attracts a really young crowd now, No offense :).

Thanks Vanbis, especially re Tamangos, that's the kind of advice I need!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

+1 for getting a taxi to Gibneys in Malahide, it's only down the road from the hotel. It has a few different areas (old man bar, sports bar, video bar etc) so you can watch the match and then move on to another part afterwards. There's also Wrights a couple of doors down from Gibneys that's nice for a few drinks. You won't feel out of place in either of those pubs. Enjoy your weekend! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Thanks Vanbis, especially re Tamangos, that's the kind of advice I need!!!

No problem. The only downside is no pub in Malahide has a late licence. +1 on Wrights down from Gibneys.

Thanks for all the advise, I looked at Gibney's online and it's perfect, we'll probably walk down from the hotel, I think we should be able to do it in less then an hour, at least I'll earn my pint and maybe take in some seaviews while I'm at it! Probably get a taxi back though!!! I'm sure the hotel will have a late bar if I'm desperate!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

on a sidenote, the match is actually on Sky Sports 2

dubmick wrote: »
    on a sidenote, the match is actually on Sky Sports 2

Really? Must be on both then, Setanta have been advertising it for the last while. It's Setanta Ireland though, which is only available in Ireland, maybe Sky have the British TV rights for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html

The match isnt on Sky Sports but is only on Setanta. Sky cant show games at 3 on a saturday. Enjoy your trip :D

http://www.setanta.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Sorry, thought you guys were talking about Wolves v Liverpool yesterday

Advertisement