Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky +HD Box and phoneline

• 21-01-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Can anybody give me an answer. I just got upgraded to +HD. I have been with Sky for over 15 years. The installer said that the box has to be connected to a phone line, two representatives in Sky said no, it does not need to be, but reading the "terms & conditions" that came with the box it says that it must be connected to the phone line..........anybody have the definitive answer?

PS I did connect the box up to the phone line and it knocked out my broadband!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can anybody give me an answer. I just got upgraded to +HD. I have been with Sky for over 15 years. The installer said that the box has to be connected to a phone line, two representatives in Sky said no, it does not need to be, but reading the "terms & conditions" that came with the box it says that it must be connected to the phone line..........anybody have the definitive answer?

No need to connect it to the phoneline,only needed for multiroom.There are interactive services that cost money but nobody uses them.If you want to order box office simply ring Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 The Donegal Man

I was told that it is better not to connect them....in case of lightning! Apparently Sky won't accept any responsibility if it went down the line. So I was told by the man who fitted mine yesterday. He give me a long phone cable and told me I only need to use it once during the call back or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Had an issue last year over this i had sky+ and decided to upgrade to HD.I had no phone line for my Sky + ,So i was surprised when the installer had box installed.He then asked for my phone line i said i don't want it connected to phone line,I have Kids who play the games on the interactive red button thing and i don't want huge bills from the pay per play game's.

He then said thats 130 euro so to install after the 99 euro upgrade charge.I said not a hope take it out.So he then rang sky to tell them the problem,he past me on to the sky rep,I told him the same i'm not having a phone line connected and i'm not paying the 130 euro.

Sky accepted this said OK they would allow this time.:rolleyes:

Regarding the broadband issue you need a splitter same kind of thing as you have on your house phone connection,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Not a "splitter" but an ADSL microfilter (for every single unit connected to a phone line).
    See http://sam-radford.me.uk/phone.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Thanks for that Liameter, got an active filter and all seems fine now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement