Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MESSAGE FOR UPC

• 21-01-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

I am sure I am correct in making this statement and I trust many will agree.

The Fibre Power 100Mb BB, while still limited to certain is very attractive to a lot of people considering the way the digital age has advanced so rapidly.

But that said I think you would get a lot more NEW customers as well as UPGRADES to the 100Mb service if at the very least you made the following adjustments.

1.Lose the €80 "Connection" fee.

2. Get rid of this No Limit "Pull me in" advertising and lose the fair usage policy. NO LIMIT should be exactly that, if your infrastructure can handle it.( If not do not roll it out)

3. Lower the monthy fee to what would be a more managable fee for most people to say perhaps €70. (€850 per year is a lot for internet but at least it doesn't impinge on the €1,000 mark)

With those changes I for one would "sign my life away"!

"Thanks" if you agree with me guys and gals.

J

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

1. Agree
    2. Not so much. The transfer limit is 500GBs. That's a decent amount. Sure I'd prefer if it was higher but it's not bad. Get rid of the unlimited bollix though.
    3. Don't agree. Sure €80 is a bit too much for me but it is a fair price for the speed you are getting. So while I personally wouldn't go for it, I still think it represents good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

2. Not so much. The transfer limit is 500GBs. That's a decent amount. Sure I'd prefer if it was higher but it's not bad. Get rid of the unlimited bollix though.

Actually in hindsight the 500Gb is probably fair, but any "usage counter" I have downloaded doesn't work and UPC is nor the easiest to get through to or get the data from.

So my no limit request was more of an insurance thing more than anything, but if they make the data accessible thats a different story.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

johnc24 wrote: »
    Actually in hindsight the 500Gb is probably fair, but any "usage counter" I have downloaded doesn't work and UPC is nor the easiest to get through to or get the data from.

So my no limit request was more of an insurance thing more than anything, but if they make the data accessible thats a different story.

Or maybe simply a request for honesty rather than wilful deceit of actual and potential customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's a top end product at a top end price. Remember, no other ISP in Ireland can deliver this product to so many so expect to pay a premium. If you can't justify the price they have plenty of other packaged to suit the masses.

The install fee is high, but that's probably to offset the cost of the new wireless modem / routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

120mb/10mb in Hungary UPC is 21 euro a month. Match that UPC Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sprrratt wrote: »
    120mb/10mb in Hungary UPC is 21 euro a month. Match that UPC Ireland :(

The netherlands would probably be a better comparison, I think it's still cheaper there but not as cheap as €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yawn. We live in Ireland - you can't compare. The average income (after tax) of a person living in Hungary is €310/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yawn. We live in Ireland - you can't compare. The average income (after tax) of a person living in Hungary is €310/month.

I think you'll find after USC, PRSI, PAYE and VAT etc...

Most Paddy's and Biddy's here are lucky to be on €310/month here!:rolleyes:

Not to mention the other 1/2 Million, and rising on the €188/week!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

jock101 wrote: »
    I think you'll find after USC, PRSI, PAYE and VAT etc...

188*4=752
    If workers are getting less than 750 a month, they should get fired for their financial future. :p

Netherlands cost:
    120mb 50 + analouge tv 17.05 = 67.05
    modem deposit 45 + admin. costs(standalone charge - not charged if you switch package) 25 = 70
    That's all from a glance at the upc.nl site, I'm not Dutch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jock101 wrote: »

If your on 188 a week then your not too pushed about getting Broadband in fairness, as you have much more important things to spend money on.

Unemployment rate is just under 14%....14% of 100% does not equal a majority or even most for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i was on only €119 dole a week :(

thank god i found a job

goodbye dole queue

but yeah €80 a month for the 100mb is a tad too steep..... drop it to €50 a month and i bet ALOT of people would upgrade to it. also the €80 connection charge is actually the cost of the thomson router u will need to connect to upc to get 100Mb/s as the crappy cisco router cant handle more than 50Mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's priced to match supply and demand.
    Unless you're living in Dungarvan and have Casey Cablevision going past your door, they're the only ones supplying speed this fast on a large scale. If you want 100MB, then you have no choice but to pay the going rate. Eircom can't come even anywhere close to matching this sort of speeds over copper pairs.

But UPC could drop the price to €50, everyone piles on to the 100MB package and UPC are raking it in by the packet loads... Great success! But then their network grinds to a complete halt. That's no good!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Kensington wrote: »
    But UPC could drop the price to €50, everyone piles on to the 100MB package and UPC are raking it in by the packet loads... Great success! But then their network grinds to a complete halt. That's no good!

Fair Point

But €80 a month whether personal circumstances can afford it or not is a bit steep. I know the product is superb but realistically will we consistently get close to 100mb speed. If so then I guess it is reasonable, but still a bit hard to stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

100mb speed is not needed, unless your sharing a house with more then 3 heavy downloader Internet users! The download limit is really the big problem, if you are given access to such DL speeds, you really need the to have a massive cap or a true unlimited service! Especially for 80quid a month!

Advertisement