Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fonts?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 8:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm learning photoshop at the moment, trying to put together a few posters together. Its not hard to realise that the fonts that come with windows etc are absolutely awful. There are probably about 5 I would ever consider using. I was just wondering, I'd quite like to delete all of them (apart from the 5) and then replace them with a pre selected pack of good usable fonts.

Anyone know where I can get such a thing? Or are there lists of the best recommended fonts I can download?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

According to another forum, it's somewhat possible with Extensis Suitcase Fusion.
    With the exception of required system fonts, I keep ALL fonts, (approx 800+) organized in Type1 Postscript, OTF and TTF folders on a separate partition (not in my user folder). All non-essential fonts included ones that came with Mac OSX are either relocated or deleted. I then create individual application sets (eg Photoshop) in Suitcase and drag in only fonts I want to load each time the app is started. Fonts specific to a client or project get their own folder which are activated manually. OSX system fonts do load in PS, however the font type icons (Postscript, OTF or TTF) help identify when scrolling and selecting. The system fonts are also separated.

In Suitcase preferences > General, I've selected:
    • Scan for font styles
    • Use Postscript name
    In Suitcase preferences > Activation, I've selected:
    • "When a font conflict occurs, ask me what to do".
    • "When a system font conflict occurs, Allow Suitcase to override system fonts"
    • "Auto-activate fonts > prefer Postscript font (my choice)

Hope this helps. :-)
    Source: http://forums.macnn.com/83/art-and-graphic-design/414767/grouping-fonts-in-photoshop/

Seems like it does more or less what you're asking for. The problem - it comes at a price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Just search google for 'free font pack' and you'll find loads to choose from. Avoid putting too many fonts in your system font folder. About 150 is enough. Anymore can slow down photoshop and your system in general.

Deleting your system fonts is a bad idea. (I think they will be reinstalled after a reboot though anyway)

Avoid font packs that boast of 5000 fonts or 1500 awesome fonts! They are usually all the same or similar styles.

HANDY TIP: When installing new fonts while phopshop in running go to your photoshop 'character' dialog box (Menu: Window>Character) and click the menu icon in the top right corner then click 'Reset Character'. This will load your new fonts in photoshop without haveing to restart it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You'd be better off selecting fonts for specific jobs as you go, you won't spend hours scrolling through all the sh!te ones each time.

Dafont.com will let you preview text before downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Dafont is full of horrible and gimmicky fonts.

Font Squirrel is the place to go. Fonts created by various type designers/studios and free for commercial use.

But like JustinOval said, you're better off looking for fonts only when you need them. Don't go browsing around downloading every font you see that looks nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 strooooble

I really like www.dafont.com, have a look there. They have a lot to choose from and you can view them by category. I usually find what I am looking for there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Good free, high quality fonts here:

http://www.ceskefonty.cz/

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/11/08/40-excellent-freefonts-for-professional-design/

dafont and the like are very hit and miss and can give you problems in relation to kerning and spacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Smashing Magazine = the business.

Advertisement