Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford hotel - recommendation

• 21-01-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am thinking about a weekend away - not really sure what I want - either a quiet one in the country or a city break but I know the county and thats waterford. So, can anyone recommend a nice hotel in the country - maybe near to the city - or a nice quite hotel in the city (though thats unlikely i think) - a hotel that has a spa perhaps and really nice quiet atmosphere..

thanks in advance..
    s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Granville & Dooleys are good hotels in the City.

Lismore Hotel or Round Tower, Ardmore in the county ...

Park or Lawlors in Dungarvan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Waterford manor hotel is out in the country but near city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Maryland on the Mall is supposed to be the right job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I was blown away by it alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I hear the Ard Rí is popular these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dayshah wrote: »
    I was blown away by it alright :D
    jhegarty wrote: »
    I hear the Ard Rí is popular these days.

Oh lads, ye could at least be helpful to the OP... :D

Waterford Manor is very nice, but their main business is weddings and stuff like the Hunt Ball, so the place is either hopping or a ghost town. Nice food and lovely grounds.

A friend stayed at the Fitzwilton just by the bridge down town and was very impressed. I don't know what kind of spa facilities it has, or whether it's quiet, but it's very nice inside.

Also the area down near the bridge has undergone a bit of a renaissance lately and has a few good new restaurants (a couple of Indians, a Polish place and even a nice little Slovakian place!)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Max Powers wrote: »
    Waterford manor hotel is out in the country but near city

+1 for the Manor Hotel. Sounds perfect for the type of weekend you're looking for. No spa facilities though as far as I know. A taxi to the city will probably only be €10-12 euro, yet you're still in the countryside. The hotels in the city are average enough, so if you want something special I would pick this.

Waterford Manor Hotel/

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I was just waiting for the Ard Ri smartie:mad:. very original indeed.

I seriously suggest The grand hotel in Tramore. Best beach walks in ireland. Country walks. Horse riding on the mag beach. Nice friendly pubs.

No pool or spa. But only six Kl bus or car ride into Kingfisher.e8 per 2 hours. Or splashworld just down the road. . Waterford city centre only 10 mins away.

Jeez. I can't believe i wrote this. I'm from the heart of Waterford.:D

but tramore has always been good to us so i say GO TO TRAMORE!!!>:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Manor Hotel is a 3 star hotel, while the City Center has two 4 star hotels. Its a fantastic location and lovely grounds, the Manor, but its alkaline based on what you want.

Then you have the Waterford Castle, very nice hotel and on its own island. 4 star, expensive.

Tramore would be the best out of city location thats not to quiet and near everything. Grand Hotel and Majestic Hotel would be two good choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Fitzwilton is doing some great deals at the moment and is also a 4 star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Waterford castle is 5 star and I'm pretty certain that Granville is 3 star but advertise 4 star that they were awarded from some obscure awarding body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

AdMMM wrote: »
    Waterford castle is 5 star and I'm pretty certain that Granville is 3 star but advertise 4 star that they were awarded from some obscure awarding body.

The RAC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for all the replies..

no one has mentioned the faithlegg hotel? I found it on line and looks like something i would be interested in - and they have a special offer for weekends too..

any opinions?

how far it is from the city?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »

Waterford Castle is 4 star, I think spa/swimming facilities are part of the 5 star requirement.

The Granville is 4 star, and the RAC is a body which does ratings just like the AA. There big enough. The Fitzwilliam claims (or used to) to be the only four star hotel, but thats not correct.

Faithlegg gets very mixed reviews, so its hard judgement to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

sporina wrote: »

no one has mentioned the faithlegg hotel? I found it on line and looks like something i would be interested in - and they have a special offer for weekends too..

any opinions?

Faithlegg is beautiful alright. Bit of a spin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Waterford Castle is situated on an island so if it's countryside & remote you're looking for this should be right up your street:D & it's only 3 miles to the city centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If you're looking for a real treat, Waterford Castle is the place to go. It really is amazing.

The Days Hotel has a spa as part ofit but I don't think the hotel is held in the highest of regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

OP you would be better off asking on the main boards about hotels in Waterford as people living in any city rarely stay in local hotels unless they are at a wedding and then they are too pissed to remember anything other then the price of drinks at the bar....

My 2 cents worth would suggest the Woodlands hotel on the Dunmore Road,turn right at the exit from the hotel and your 5 mins from the city. turn left and your 2 mins from the countryside, has a health centre with pool, lively bar used by the locals and the food is good also...

http://www.woodlandshotel.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

any opinions?

Faithlegg Hotel is lovely, set on a golfcourse with stunning views. It's around six miles from Waterford City (about a 15 minute drive).

It's also not far from Passage East, which has a regular car ferry to Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

Funfair wrote: »
    OP you would be better off asking on the main boards about hotels in Waterford as people living in any city rarely stay in local hotels unless they are at a wedding and then they are too pissed to remember anything other then the price of drinks at the bar....

My 2 cents worth would suggest the Woodlands hotel on the Dunmore Road,turn right at the exit from the hotel and your 5 mins from the city. turn left and your 2 mins from the countryside, has a health centre with pool, lively bar used by the locals and the food is good also...

http://www.woodlandshotel.ie/

really - like which forum on boards? i cannot see anywhere relevant?

• Advertisement

really - like which forum on boards? i cannot see anywhere relevant?

I would respectively disagree with funfair. Locals would know just how good or bad a hotel in their area is. The main travel board would not have many with experience of Waterford hotels.

I work in tourism locally, and I can safely say the comments here are fairly accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

You could also have a look at the Marina hotel, which is pretty central, and right on the river.

Sully wrote: »
    I would respectively disagree with funfair. Locals would know just how good or bad a hotel in their area is. The main travel board would not have many with experience of Waterford hotels.

I work in tourism locally, and I can safely say the comments here are fairly accurate.

I can safely say I live in Waterford all my life and never stayed in any hotel in Waterford. I ate and drank in most but wouldn't have any reason to stay there bar if I was playing away from home as they say:)

Most people would be the same I'm guessing unless you Sully are one hell of a salesman and get locals to book weekends at home in the local hotels :)

I can safely say I live in Waterford all my life and never stayed in any hotel in Waterford. I ate and drank in most but wouldn't have any reason to stay there bar if I was playing away from home as they say:)

Most people would be the same I'm guessing unless you Sully are one hell of a salesman and get locals to book weekends at home in the local hotels :)

When you deal with tourists on a regular basis, and local hotels, you get an idea the type of service they offer. The star rating also gives an insight into the service expected. :)

Well then SPORINA give Sully a PM and he'll put you right...

There is a hotel I thought of, but don't know anything about, thats on the N25 to Kilmedian road. Its called The Coach Country House. Very quiet area, old building it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Sully wrote: »
    There is a hotel I thought of, but don't know anything about, thats on the N25 to Kilmedian road. Its called The Coach Country House. Very quiet area, old building it seems.

Thats Billy McCarthy's place I think is it?

Des O'Keeffe is the host anyway. I know little about it. But seems to get good reviews and is graded 3 stars.

Queen Billy has a Hotel ? learn something new every day..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Queen Billy has a Hotel ? learn something new every day..

Yeah him and his partner run a b&b,i think its that Coach place.

Advertisement