Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav Questions

Options
  • 21-01-2011 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I'm going updating my Garmin Nuvi. I'm wondering can i update it with maps from other sat Navs? like will tom tom maps transfer onto a Garmin or other Sat Nav device?

I mean are they all just image files? Like Gmappsum files or whatever??

Plus what size SD card should i get 2 or 4 GB for newer updates?

I've updated my dad's tom tom once or twice now but now i wanna update my own Garmin i got as a present back in October and I'm asking can i use the maps I downloaded for the Tom Tom and put them on my Garmin??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

sorry mate but you can't, maps are incompatibile ... btw, garmin's maps are much better than tomtom's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

cool. i can look around and get some maps no problem. how often are mas updated do you know?

well, around every 3 months but not 100% sure :)

not too bad. thanks man!

maps keep getting bigger? i must buy an SD card for an updated map so i prob sud get a card bigger than i need just in case in the future??

well, mapsize doesn't change much mean around 1 mb, sometimes less so is no need for new bigger memory card

• Advertisement

<Snip>
    Content removed. Do not post links to illegal downloads.

:D
    <Snip>

lol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tomtom update maps every 3 months. I think Garmin are around the same.
    Map sizes for Europe would be around 3 gb.
    They are getting bigger as they become more detailed.

<Snip>

Sorry bout that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

does anyone know when Garmin are updating their maps again?

• Advertisement

hard to say, but probably around end of March

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Looking for a sat nav with ire uk europe and us maps, the ones i've seen
    are expensive anybody got any suggestions ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grehand

sorry mate but you can't, maps are incompatibile ... btw, garmin's maps are much better than tomtom's :)

Can i copy a north american sd card map to blank sd card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

wingfo wrote: »
    Looking for a sat nav with ire uk europe and us maps, the ones i've seen are expensive anybody got any suggestions ?:eek:

You are looking for the MOST expensive, there are unit costs and then a charge for the maps as you go up, the cheapest will be UK/Irl and some will be offered with European mapping on special offers but otherwise will cost more again, and to add the US map it will cost more again again and I've not seen offers for the US versions.

Unless yo are haring off to the US through Europe immediately, watch for those special offers and get an UK/Irl with free Europe mapping and consider adding the USA as a separate add-on later.

Alternatively, you'd pick up an USA loaded model in the US at comparatively competitive prices.

Advertisement