Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble zero'in me scope

Options
  • 21-01-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

hi all, i have a CZ 452 varmint in .22lr,, she's brand new.

no problem setting the scope without the silencer, but when i attach the silencer ( a Parker-Hale ) i cannot get it on paper at 25 yards. its throwing the shots in every direction....

any suggestions? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

zero it with the moderator on
    see how it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Is rifle factory threaded?

Is it an over barrel style mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

i did, cant get any consistency at all with the shot, a Royal Marine Commando was helping me so we were definatly doing things right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i'd hazard a guess at either the barrel isn't threaded properly or else the extra weight of the mod is causeing the barrel to come in contact with the stock, so if this is the problem remove the stock and sand the barrel channel, or else maybe try a different mod

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

its probably the mod, if the baffles aren't lined up right inside as can happen with a PH the bullet might be striking it on the way trough

• Advertisement

murph226 wrote: »
    Is rifle factory threaded?

Is it an over barrel style mod?

no, its not factory threaded. i got that done. the moderator dosent go over the barrel, just screws on to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Tac wrote: »
    no, its not factory threaded. i got that done
    was it a proper gunsmith who did it? did he centre the barrel perfectly on the lathe before doing it or did you see him doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Try putting a cleaning rod down the barrel with the mod on and see if its still central coming out of the mods muzzel.

You realy already know whats wrong at the back of your mind.
    I would put forward the notion that the barrel thread is pissed. Take the mod apart and see where the bullet is hitting either a baffle or the exit hole.

Another way to check would be to put a long straight edge, a meter steel rule, againist the mod and run it up to the action. Then see if you have the same gap down all sides of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Sounds like a botched threading job TBH

Either that, or a faulty moddy.

Do as clivej says, check it out, and if it is a botched threading job, then bring it back to the craftsman who did the job, and get him to replace your rifle.

If it's a faulty mod, bring it straight back to the shop, and get your money back.

And in the meantime, leave the moddy off when shooting, as it may be unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

As stated check baffles in moderator. PH comes with a metal rod for ensuring they are in correctly. Maybe try another moderator?

Royal Marine Commando :eek:, they are only human too, and they put their trousers on one leg at a time, same as the rest of us :P ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Yep, plus he coulda been in the Catering Corp of the RM!:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

Bad threading job i think. Try laser bore sighter with & without moderater if you can get your hands on one

clivej wrote: »
    Try putting a cleaning rod down the barrel with the mod on and see if its still central coming out of the mods muzzel.

You realy already know whats wrong at the back of your mind.
    I would put forward the notion that the barrel thread is pissed. Take the mod apart and see where the bullet is hitting either a baffle or the exit hole.

Another way to check would be to put a long straight edge, a meter steel rule, againist the mod and run it up to the action. Then see if you have the same gap down all sides of the barrel.

i think your right. i just unscrewed the top of the moderator and took out the wee baffles. there is signs of where the bullet has struck before...so, obviously the threading is knackered.. :mad: what can i do now? can it be re-threaded properly?

dCorbus wrote: »
    Yep, plus he coulda been in the Catering Corp of the RM!:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

haha! no, he's with the anti-pirate unit,,, lucky sod!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

i think your right. i just unscrewed the top of the moderator and took out the wee baffles. there is signs of where the bullet has struck before...so, obviously the threading is knackered.. :mad: what can i do now? can it be re-threaded properly?

Yeah, no hassle to a decent gunsmith. They'll chop the last inch or so of the barrel, cut the thread properly and re-crown the barrel. Should shoot better than ever then.

Yeah, no hassle to a decent gunsmith. They'll chop the last inch or so of the barrel, cut the thread properly and re-crown the barrel. Should shoot better than ever then.

can ya recommend a good gun smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Fergal Whyte in Athlone or John Greene in Kilmacow, whichever's closest. Both will do a bang-up job.

Or the baffles weren't in properly.

Do you have the metal bar for assembling moderator?

If not check with another moderator first as threading may be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a small piece of advice. Bring the mod with you. If the gunsmith has the mod the threading job will be even better as he can match it to the exacting tolerances of the threads on the mod.

I had a rifle a while back with a threading job already done. I bought a mod and it worked and fitted fine. A mate then bought the exact same rifle, caliber everything. He went and got it threaded, but having bought the mod of me he brought it and gave it to the gunsmith for comparison.

Anyway the mod sits better and "truer" on his rifle than it ever did on mine and the cap that protects the threading when the mod is not on will not screw onto my rifle either fully or properly. Yet it fits my mates perfectly. Just goes to show the difference between an average, working thread job, and one done by a competent and skilled worksman.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

lads, thanks a mill for the advice and help. i bought the whole set up new, the dealer got it threaded for me, so i never had the metal bar.

im gonna give that guy in athlone a shout, bring the whole set up to him and see what he says..

thanks again everyone!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

lads, thanks a mill for the advice and help. i bought the whole set up new, the dealer got it threaded for me, so i never had the metal bar.

im gonna give that guy in athlone a shout, bring the whole set up to him and see what he says..

thanks again everyone!! :)
    I would take it back to the dealer.
    Why should you have to pay again to get it threaded again.

zeissman wrote: »
    I would take it back to the dealer.
    Why should you have to pay again to get it threaded again.

i know, but if he f**ked it up in the first place i defo wanna get it done right this time....

anyone have contact details for Fergal Whyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

if it shoots and groups well without the mod on,its the mod thats the problem,if not its the threading and crown thats the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

i know, but if he f**ked it up in the first place i defo wanna get it done right this time....

anyone have contact details for Fergal Whyte?

Do take the gun to fergal whyte but I would still take the rifle and mod back to the dealer first and tell him about the problem.
    He may offer to pay to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

.243 wrote: »
    if it shoots and groups well without the mod on,its the mod thats the problem,if not its the threading and crown thats the problem

Yes try I different mod on first it could be all that's needed.

clivej wrote: »
    Yes try I different mod on first it could be all that's needed.

It's what I'd do next too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

It's what I'd do next too ;)

I've used 2 Mods on 2 different rifles and swapped both over recently.

I've had no issue with grouping

Fergal White's number can be found on

www.irelandcustomrifle.com

If the rounds were nicking the Mod as a result of a poor thread job groups would be all over the place

I've used 2 Mods on 2 different rifles and swapped both over recently.

I've had no issue with grouping

Fergal White's number can be found on

www.irelandcustomrifle.com

If the rounds were nicking the Mod as a result of a poor thread job groups would be all over the place

:rolleyes:

Come on Tac get with the program ! ........................think about what we're suggesting :D

I know Fergal is your hero but there might be no need for the lad to go there..........yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

:rolleyes:

Come on Tac get with the program ! ........................think about what we're suggesting :D

I know Fergal is your hero but there might be no need for the lad to go there..........yet :D

Actually MY hero is Frank Gallagher.

OP

A mod should improve your group, not make it worse.

• Advertisement

:D OK so Tac I've a bit of free time so I'll explain just for you :P

We're suggesting try another mod and if it shoots OK then it's his mod that's wrong. If it doesn't shoot OK then it is more than likely the threading and he'll need to get Fergal to work his magic.

Advertisement