Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I delete the original download after I have installed the program?

• 21-01-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

The title may confuse You:D
    What I mean is, when I download a file that is let's say 1 GB in size and install it, I end up with the download and the actuall program file's which could or does mount up to even bigger than the download, and I'm sure the download is not doing anything (like everything has just been extracted from it.
    So that is taking up a lot of :pac:space!:eek:
    I'm not planning on deleting it, just transferr it to a HD for safe keeping 'yeah know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Yep, no need to have the installer once it's been installed (exception being ISOs that you mount in Daemon Tools or the like)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

snappieT wrote: »
    Yep, no need to have the installer once it's been installed (exception being ISOs that you mount in Daemon Tools or the like)

That's great thanks, I have so much unneeded stuff on my PC, I recently got it fixed.
    I'm gonna look after it a lot more now, 1 of the possible reason's it broke down is because I was running a 250 Gig Hard Drive with about 2 Gig's left for quite a while, until I got an overload error msg, so the laptop just died and went blue, Damn that's annoying:mad:.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not planning on deleting it, just transferr it to a HD for safe keeping 'yeah know.

Over time you'll probably allow those programs to download updates direct from the web which will render the original install files obsolete. If the s/w was free I'd suggest that you not bother saving the install file as even if you have to rebuild your system, chances are that you'll go back to the web to download the current version of the program i.e. it's highly unlikely that you'll ever reuse those installation programs so I wouldn't bother keeping a copy of them.

If you paid for the s/w then it's probably best to hold on to the install file, unless you have a product code that proves you are licensed for the s/w in which case what I said above in relation to free s/w applies, you don't need to hold on to the installation files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

coylemj wrote: »
    If you paid for the s/w then it's probably best to hold on to the install file, unless you have a product code that proves you are licensed for the s/w in which case what I said above in relation to free s/w applies, you don't need to hold on to the installation files.

I would generally agree.. Why not just burn it to a CD and keep it with your backups.. then delete it from your hard drive..

If you need to reinstall it or you upgrade the O/S, you will have to download the file again..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

That's great guy's, thanks 'I just got Nero and it has a Back-it-up feature, that let's You put everything on CD's, so I'll do that and delete the unnecessary file's.
    A question I've been thinking about, If I use that back up feature for music, will it be storing it in folder's or will it be like putting it on a normall CD which causes quality loss (if You put something on a back-up DATA disk is everything preserved?)

Thanks and regards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement