Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Marathon?

• 21-01-2011 9:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there is a Half Marathon this year, but I thought they also held a Full Marathon in Galway during the summer months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

It was the same day as longford last year. August.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I know ya. I was just wondering what happened to it this year. I would have loved to do it in place of Longford if I could. I'm going to do Longford, but I hear it can be a bit long and drawn out in comparison to others given the stretch between seeing any sort on life on the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

i think its still on this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Discover Ireland are advertising it at this link

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Search-Results/Details.aspx?touristItemID=80965

but the main web page for it is not yet updated?

http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/

Hope it is as I am hoping to run it as my first marathon and would be handy being local!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks, I've been looking for that for awhile now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

It will indeed be on again this year. I'm informed that the website will be updated very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I hope they try to address some of the very negative feedback surrounding last year's race. I would welcome the opportunity to run a marathon in Galway city. But for the moment, I'll watch and see what happens this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

First they put their marathon on the same weekend as Longford, jeopardising the existence of that race for no good reason, then they treated the non-elite athletes with complete contempt. (Disclaimer: I was not there personally, that's only from what I've heard).

I cannot understand why anyone would run this event rather than Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

First they put their marathon on the same weekend as Longford, jeopardising the existence of that race for no good reason, then they treated the non-elite athletes with complete contempt. (Disclaimer: I was not there personally, that's only from what I've heard).

+1
    And I was there. Worst organised race I have ever participated in.

I see what you mean about the organisation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055840501&page=5

Will definitely check for comments from the organisers if it goes ahead to see if they will cater better for us non "ultra" runners. Would be a long way to run and not even get an official time if its your 1st marathon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

+1
    Reports of people running into cars near the end due to inadequate road closeures, all the sprots drinks gone for the slower runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭topcat77

Did the Half last year which was alright but not worth the money. Total chaos for the marathon on the 2nd loop of the marathon course. Cycled back to renmore after the half and kept a couple of runners company. Things turn bad with cars flying down closed roads, the marshals had disappeared with the €50 pay after having a torrent of abuse from local residents who didn't know the marathon was on. I live in Galway and it was an embarrassment. I’ve done a marathon and wouldn’t of like to be running the last 10 miles with no support from the spectators, having to run on the pavement and stopping to cross the roads.

First year teething issues????????

From a look at their updated website it notes:

"The 2011 course will have each race starting and finishing on the Promenade in Salthill, Galway. Again, the course will loop the city but it will also incorporate some of the wonderful environs of the adjacent countryside. The first section will encompass the East of Galway and the second section the West. This will be a managed course with professional marshals from Sword Security throughout the route.

The spacious environs of Salthill will allow flexibility to provide additional entertainment on race day and the organisers will host a number of activities for participants and spectators alike."

http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/participant-information/course.html

Seems they are learning from last year on that front anyway. The even have a poll on their home page about if you prefer cups or bottles at water stations. I would love if it takes off as it would be a another great attraction for the city. Pity it clashes with an established marathon in Longord.

Advertisement