Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breeding golden retrievers

• 21-01-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

any advice on breeding golden retrievers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

pushki wrote: »

in what way?

Talk to the breed club, find out what health problems they can suffer from and then get the relevant tests done. That would be a starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I plan to do that, I have a male and female golden retriever, we had pups with the female about a year and a half ago, sold the pups non reg but now both her and the male are both registered and was wondering if theres any point anymore in breeding them as there wouldnt be as many buyers due to the recession,

She's on the injection pill but its running out the end of Feb, dont know whether to get her in pup again ??:confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

To be perfectly honest, I would just get her spayed. The golden retriever is a very popular puppy farm breed and there are countless amounts of them being dumped in rescue centres and pounds every day all over the country. I really cant see there being a market for them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

pushki wrote: »

*Start researching bloodlines to find a pup from parents with good confirmation / working bloodlines and relevant health certs from a good COE breeder.
    *Bring the pup to ring craft classes with a view to showing and earning it's championship. You can also train and enter field trials to prove ability as well as confirmation.
    *When old enough have the relevant health tests done on your dog ie. hip / elbow dysplasia etc.
    *If you own a bitch you will then need to find a suitable stud who will complement your dogs flaws or weaknesses. If you own a dog and he is successful enough you won't need to go looking for a bitch people will be lining up to use your dog.

The below are a list of problems associated with the breed and any bloodlines showing any of the below frequently should be avoided:
    • Acute moist dermatitis
    • Acral lick dermatitis
    • Atopy
    • Bilateral cataract
      • Opaque lenses
    • Canine X-linked muscular dystrophy
    • Cataract with microphthalmia
      • Opaque lenses with small eyes
      • Associated with retinal folds
    • Central progressive retinal atrophy
      • Mottling and increased reflectivity of area centralis
      • Resulting in loss of central vision.
      • Difficulty in seeing stationary objects
      • Sight is best in dim light
      • Affecting dogs 3-5 years of age
    • Central retinal degeneration
    • Cerebellar hypoplasia
    • Diaphragmatic hernia
    • Distichiasis
      • An abnormal row of lashes
    • Elbow dysplasia
    • Elbow osteochondrosis
    • Entropion
    • Folliculitis and furunculosis, bacterial
    • Hemophilia A, Factor VIII or AHF deficiency
      • Prolonged bleeding
      • Hemorrhagic episodes
      • Prolonged PTT, reduced AHF and Factor VIII
    • Hip dysplasia
    • Hypothyroidism
    • Inhalant allergies
    • Juvenile cellulitis
    • Mitral vlave dysplasia
    • Muscular dystrophy
    • Nasal hypopigmentation
    • Oropharyngeal neoplasia
    • Osteosarcoma
    • Pericardial effusion - idiopathic
    • Pyotraumatic dermatitis
    • Pyotraumatic folliculitis and furunculosis, bacterial
    • Retinal dysplasia
    • Right atrial hemangiosarcoma +/- pericardial effusion
    • Sterile pyogranuloma syndrome
    • Subvalvular aortic stenosis
    • Taurine deficient familial Dilated cardiomyopathy
    • Tricuspid valve dysplasia
    • Von Willebrand's disease; pseudohemophilia; vascular hemophilia
      • Prolonged bleeding time
      • Low Factor VIII
      • Reduced platelet adhesiveness and abnormal prothrombin consumption time.
      • May exhibit recurrent melena
      • Prolonged estrual bleeding
      • Excessive bleeding after trauma
      • Subcutaneous hematomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd say if you do go ahead and breed and you do no other health tests, you owe it to the pups to at least get your dogs hip scored to see what the likelihood of the pups inheriting hip dysplasia from the parents. This is such a painful, miserable condition for such a big, active breed. Your dogs may well have hip dysplasia but are not showing signs yet as they are young - the hip joint wears down slowly over time and that is when arthritis sets in. You don't want to sell little ticking time bombs in terms of health; it's not fair on the puppies and it's not fair on the new owners.

Hip dysplasia is rife in the breed. If your own dogs weren't bought from scrupulous breeders who do health checks before breeding their dogs, there is a greater likelihood your own two are affected.

I know most people will buy a retriever puppy without worrying about things like parents' hip scores because they just don't know any better. But I do think you owe it to the puppies you are bringing into this world to know in advance what genetic diseases they may have inherited. Those injections to keep the dog out of season aren't recommended for long term use so I think pretty soon you're going to have to decide whether you're going to spay your female or keep breeding from her. The longer you leave it before spaying her, the greater the risk is that she'll suffer a womb infection (pyometra) before you get around to spaying her. The pyometra is common and requires an emergency spay that is far riskier than a planned spay.

I also keep an eye to DoneDeal and notice that the prices for retriever pups seems to be falling... Definitely I think you may have a problem finding good homes for all your puppies.

Just some food for thought for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

Thanks everyone for helping!

Advertisement