Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adelaide

Options
  • 21-01-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Howye all,
    Anyone any info on living, working and playing in Adelaide? What's life like there?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Your in Luck

They just had Adelaide on Relocation Phil Down Under

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/relocation-phil-down-under/4od#3153780

Should give you a little idea of the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

ericsinjun wrote: »
    Howye all,
    Anyone any info on living, working and playing in Adelaide? What's life like there?
    Thanks
    have done, and will be again come april. Life is.. quieter, in Adelaide :pac: unless you put yourself in the city center and get out there to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Seriously ...people live in Adelaide ??? Who would have thunk it....

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Zambia wrote: »
    Seriously ...people live in Adelaide ??? Who would have thunk it....

Best city in australia according to the paper today.....but they didnt include Newman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

uglyjohn wrote: »
    Best city in australia according to the paper today.....but they didnt include Newman ;)

Buillllllsssssshhhiiittttt!!

• Advertisement

uglyjohn wrote: »
    haha! which paper? it's not a bad city, but i'd say its far from the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

It depends what you are looking for. If you are after mad nightlife and partying until 4 in the morning all the time, it's definitely not for you. If you are looking for a quiet, safe, beautiful place to bring up kids and raise a family, it's definitely up there with the best in Oz. We live 5 minutes from the city, we have a super house with a pool, the weather is much better than Melbourne and Sydney, it is much more affordable and it has the feel of a large country town rather than a big city. I am from Dublin, have lived in Sydney, Perth and London and have to say Adelaide has more to offer for value for money. Always something going on and we love it here. Don't know why it get's such a bad press. Seen as boring but it's not. Maybe if people bothered coming to see for themselves, they could make considered comments. Oh, and the wine and food are second to none. Lots of sport related activities and not overcrowded like some Australian big cities.

well the OP is talking about work, life, and play. I would say for work and life, it's great. For play, not as much. SA natives i've met like to call adelaide the largest country town in the world. It's true to an extent. Now to be fair, when i lived there i was almost an hours drive outside the city, so it was usually a pain in the ass to go for a proper night out, or to come to some of the festivals on.. If you're closer to the city center you'll find more to do. Then again if you're organised, you can do anything. We gathered a group of 20 on a one day bus tour of the barossa valley food & wine festival. Brilliant altogether.

There's a lot to like about adelaide. But there's a lot i'll still bitch about when i get back there. I'll echo seipeal1, for kids & family, it's a good option.

Advertisement